RC poster

Stampede with custom Tamiya Subaru Brat body

Hello, fellow Traxxas fans!

This is my first post here on the forum as I'm new to the world of hobby RC. Not long ago I bought myself a Stampede 2WD as a nice entry point for my son and I and I'm totally loving it! I'm already thinking about potential upgrades, I can feel the obsession growing.

The first thing I really wanted to customise was the body and after a lot of searching, I came across the Tamyia Subura Brat body shell. It has such a incredible shape and it sits really well on the Stampede's frame.

I put a lot of love into the paint job and I wanted to share some pics of the car with you guys and see what you think. It was definitely a bit of a learning process and there's a few minor things I'd do better next time. It'd be great to also get your thoughts on what I could continue to upgrade, at this point I'm thinking about getting some Proline Trencher tires mounted on Desperado wheels.

Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-04-2018 at 05:58 AM.

RC Racer
    Love this cool truck

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

My "must have" upgrades list for Stampede:

Steering Knuckles: RPM or Aluminum. IMO weakest point of the truck. First thing I broke on it, wasn't even a hard crash.
    Caster Blocks: RPM or Aluminum
    Rear axle carriers: RPM or Aluminum
    RPM wide front bumper
    Aluminum shock caps to prevent pop-offs
    Bearing set to replace bushings if not a vxl model. (note: traxxas aluminum steering knuckles and rear axle carriers come with metal, rubber sealed bearings in the package.)
    Traxxas or Proline adjustable body mounts to lower the high as heck body/center of gravity

Future "optional" upgrades:

STRC hinge pin set
    Tbone racing rear bumper/wheelie bar
    ESC cooling fan (if vxl model)
    Brushless motor/esc system (if not vxl model)
    Metal adjustable camber links to replace plastic (if not vxl model)
    Lipo battery/charger

Love to see pics of the truck with the new body on it!

Pics are not working on the forum for me tho I can get to them with a workaround. Looks good, very 80s, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PJbottoms View Post
    My "must have" upgrades list for Stampede:

Steering Knuckles: RPM or Aluminum. IMO weakest point of the truck. First thing I broke on it, wasn't even a hard crash.
    Caster Blocks: RPM or Aluminum
    Rear axle carriers: RPM or Aluminum
    RPM wide front bumper
    Aluminum shock caps to prevent pop-offs
    Bearing set to replace bushings if not a vxl model. (note: traxxas aluminum steering knuckles and rear axle carriers come with metal, rubber sealed bearings in the package.)
    Traxxas or Proline adjustable body mounts to lower the high as heck body/center of gravity

Future "optional" upgrades:

STRC hinge pin set
    Tbone racing rear bumper/wheelie bar
    ESC cooling fan (if vxl model)
    Brushless motor/esc system (if not vxl model)
    Metal adjustable camber links to replace plastic (if not vxl model)
    Lipo battery/charger

Love to see pics of the truck with the new body on it!
    A decent list. Unfortunately the RPM caster blocks will do nothing to ameliorate the bending of the vertical kingpins, so purchased alone they are a waste of money.
    The 2WD Slash bumper is cheaper and does a better job than the RPM wide bumper. However, the styling is a matter of personal preference and the color choice is limited to black.
    I’d add Lunsford Fat Boy motor screws to ensure the motor doesn’t move during tumbles.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    A decent list. Unfortunately the RPM caster blocks will do nothing to ameliorate the bending of the vertical kingpins, so purchased alone they are a waste of money.
    Good to know! I went with the Traxxas aluminum knuckles and casters and love them on my Pede. Also ordered a set for my new Rustler as well. Totally worth the $$$ IMO. Also didn't know the Slash bumper is a direct fit on the pede, also good to know. Although it's definitely not cheaper. The slash bumper is $10-11+ no matter what site I checked. I just bought the rpm front bumper for $5.49 on horizon hobby.

The RPM bumper is less than I thought, but you can get a take-off Slash bumper for even less. At that point, though, both are cheap enough to let style and utility determine the choice.
    You made an excellent choice with the Traxxas aluminum. I upgraded all of my 2WDs with STRC caster blocks because at that time Traxxas was not yet making the parts in metal!
    Thanks for the information.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC poster
    An excellent list, thanks very much guys! I'll definitely check out those components.

Apologies the images didn't work, let me try that again.

Looks great! I would definitely pick up a set of the adjustable mounts though, they are only round $9 or so. Would lower the body just a bit to cover the chassis, and level out the front there too as well as lower the COG a bit. Part#3619 for the Traxxas ones. I have them on my pede and they are a direct fit.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-361...s/292666685698

RC poster
    Thanks PJ! That's a good call, the front is sitting a bit high and the body would look better sitting lower over the chassis. I did consider it after I'd finished the body but I wan't sure if it would be the same fit, and I didn't want to put more holes in the shell. But it sounds like it is the same fit and the part is so cheap it's a no brainer.

They fit my stampede perfectly with the stock holes.

Here's a pic of the stock pede body and my custom rustler body sitting on those mounts. Both are in the lowest hole settings you can do without it interfering with the shock mount/esc fan/wires.

Last edited by PJbottoms; 08-05-2018 at 07:11 PM.

RC poster
    Awesome, good to know. It definitely looks better sitting lower like that!

Also, I love your Mr Invincible truck, it looks amazing! Nice work with the paper decals, that would have been fiddly work.

You've got a couple of different wheelie bars, which one would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Longbones View Post
    An excellent list, thanks very much guys! I'll definitely check out those components.

Apologies the images didn't work, let me try that again.

That's something you don't see every day! Nice work!
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

Quote Originally Posted by Longbones View Post
    You've got a couple of different wheelie bars, which one would you recommend?

I replaced the stock one with the bottom pic, which is the Tbone Racing rear bumper / wheelie bar combo. It's GREAT. I got tired of the stock one popping off the chassis on the bottom, and having to re-clip the adjustable bar all the time on hard back landings. The Tbone one is super durable and also nice and wide so you don't get flip overs when it hits the bar at weird angles. I also like how it goes onto the truck. It screws directly into the chassis on the bottom. Comes with the longer hardware as well to replace the 4 stock screws. Also they have a lifetime warranty similar to RPM. If you break it, they will generally send you a new one with no issues.
    I just ordered the same combo for my new Rustler that's coming this week as well. highly recommend it. it's about $20 for the combo.
    Bumper: https://tboneracing.net/collections/...ampede-vxl-xl5
    Wheelie bar: https://tboneracing.net/products/96018-y062-b222-t-bar

Here's some better pics of it:

Last edited by PJbottoms; 08-06-2018 at 11:40 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    That's something you don't see every day! Nice work!
    Thanks very much!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PJbottoms View Post
    I replaced the stock one with the bottom pic, which is the Tbone Racing rear bumper / wheelie bar combo. It's GREAT. I got tired of the stock one popping off the chassis on the bottom, and having to re-clip the adjustable bar all the time on hard back landings. The Tbone one is super durable and also nice and wide so you don't get flip overs when it hits the bar at weird angles. I also like how it goes onto the truck. It screws directly into the chassis on the bottom. Comes with the longer hardware as well to replace the 4 stock screws. Also they have a lifetime warranty similar to RPM. If you break it, they will generally send you a new one with no issues.
    Thanks PJ, much appreciated. That looks super solid, the way it mounts to the chassis. I'll look into getting a set. I figure I spent all that time painting up my ride, I want to protect it where I can. I can also just use my stock Stampede shell for when I want to bash it around.

I just ordered the adjustable body mounts you recommended too, so I'm looking forward to getting the body sitting nicely.