RC Racer

Aluminum Beadlock Wheels

Want to change the wheels and tires on my Ultimate, so I decided I wanted to get some aluminum beadlock wheels instead of the plastic wheels. Will probably mount some Badland SC, RockBeast, PitBull, or something along those lines.

Only requirement I have is the tire and wheel combo need to be "close" to the same height and width as the stock tires. No 2.8's, or 17mm hexes on this one.

I see very few offerings for an aluminum 2.2/3.0 beadlock wheel. These would fit the tires listed above ok, but most of the wheels I REALLY like are either 1.9 or 2.2.

If I chose the latter....what wheel size wheel should I go with? I'm thinking 2.2, but thought I would ask first.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    Want to change the wheels and tires on my Ultimate, so I decided I wanted to get some aluminum beadlock wheels instead of the plastic wheels. Will probably mount some Badland SC, RockBeast, PitBull, or something along those lines.

Only requirement I have is the tire and wheel combo need to be "close" to the same height and width as the stock tires. No 2.8's, or 17mm hexes on this one.

I see very few offerings for an aluminum 2.2/3.0 beadlock wheel. These would fit the tires listed above ok, but most of the wheels I REALLY like are either 1.9 or 2.2.

If I chose the latter....what wheel size wheel should I go with? I'm thinking 2.2, but thought I would ask first.
    I have run aluminum rims since 2011! I have a few pictures of them with different tires on them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the ones el sob runs above are the only 12mm beadlocks I would ever run..... they aren't cheap though

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have run aluminum rims since 2011! I have a few pictures of them with different tires on them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    THIS is kinda what I had in mind to run, or something similar. Those look great. Are those by RC4WD?

And I think I may have run across a post you had when you got those. Thanks!
    Last edited by NitroBugg; 08-05-2018 at 10:02 AM.

I have been doing some research on beadlock wheels also. All the good ones are on backorder. Nothing new when it comes to the best for almost anything in the RC world. Out of stock are 3 pretty common words these days.

Did you ever get your transmitter?
    Choose Life !!!

Straight 2.2 will not work on the front without extending the hex, they will hit the C-hubs.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    I have been doing some research on beadlock wheels also. All the good ones are on backorder. Nothing new when it comes to the best for almost anything in the RC world. Out of stock are 3 pretty common words these days.

Did you ever get your transmitter?
    I agree. Most of what I liked are backordered/out of stock too.

Transmitter is still backordered as well. Keep being told "should be in this week", but almost at the 2 month mark and nothing yet. Besides the RX that comes with the 4PV, I also ordered 2 additional receivers...and they are all on the same BO.

Think I will find a cheaper radio that "will do" for a little while, and when my 4PV comes in, I can keep the cheaper one as a spare.
    Last edited by NitroBugg; 08-05-2018 at 11:32 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Straight 2.2 will not work on the front without extending the hex, they will hit the C-hubs.
    Having never owned a set...that's great information to know. Would save me from making an expensive mistake. I appreciate the heads up!

Would rather not run extensions on this rig if I can get around it.

I agree. Most of what I liked are backordered/out of stock too.

Transmitter is still backordered as well. Keep being told "should be in this week", but almost at the 2 month mark and nothing yet. Besides the RX that comes with the 4PV, I also ordered 2 additional receivers...and they are all on the same BO.

Think I will find a cheaper radio that "will do" for a little while, and when my 4PV comes in, I can keep the cheaper one as a spare.
    Makes me think that being made in China and probably one of the most popular there. They must be looking out for themselves first. Unless Trump stopped all imports from them. haha I know all the Futaba dealers are swamped with back orders.

On a good note! You are waiting on a great setup no doubt.

Now that I am thinking about it. I was browsing amazon or ebay the other day and saw a 4pv for sale. Only around $550 and some change... The price of their higher end model...
    Last edited by lektro; 08-05-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

THIS is kinda what I had in mind to run, or something similar. Those look great. Are those by RC4WD?

And I think I may have run across a post you had when you got those. Thanks!
    These are in fact made by RC4WD! I do have a few posts about aluminum rims. They have been very good for me. I often think about getting another set

These are in fact made by RC4WD! I do have a few posts about aluminum rims. They have been very good for me. I often think about getting another set
    I had to zoom to 200% and saw they were racelines. are they 1.9s or 2.2s I saw a set of 2.2s but they were the ballistics seemed nice but not sure they would fit. They cost so much It would be nice to get the right size the first time.
    Last edited by lektro; 08-05-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Drvnpro rc used to make some, designed for the SCORE TT, one style looked like Method 105s. Bolt on hubs like RC4WD so you can change your offset. Made in Ramona, CA. I believe Jconcepts made front uprights that would clear 2.2s, perhaps Squeegie will chime in with the particulars. 2.2s also allow you to stretch 1.9s (crawler tires) onto them, giving you a tire that is about 4-3/4" tall if that works for you and your application. Bottom line is the SC wheels will set you back $150 or more, but you already have tires. Chanquish alum. beadlocks (set of 4) can be had for under $60, pick your tires AND aftermarket uprights, still money ahead.

I had to zoom to 200% and saw they were racelines. are they 1.9s or 2.2s I saw a set of 2.2s but they were the ballistics seemed nice but not sure they would fit. They cost so much It would be nice to get the right size the first time.
    Actually they are 2.2/3.0. Short course size. You are correct about the Raceline brand.
    MAC, Drvnpro has been out of stock for awhile now. I have not checked on Vanquish in a little while.

They have the all aluminum color one's still in stock:

https://store.rc4wd.com/Short-Course-Wheels_c_70.html
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Actually they are 2.2/3.0. Short course size. You are correct about the Raceline brand.
    MAC, Drvnpro has been out of stock for awhile now. I have not checked on Vanquish in a little while.
    Vanquish doesn't make wheels in the sc format, I'll see whats up with Drvnpro. Rc stuff is side work for his machine shop.

This one particular wheel says smooth silver finish. Most of the others are aluminum and billet machined. I wonder if this means plastic with a sliver finish. I do see the hubs are aluminum.

I did order 2 sets of these. Wanted to let everyone know after I received them and knew they would fit the bill. still looking at all aluminum and billet machined

Funny thing. I was searching the racelines. typed it in google without RC type. I open it and thought I was looking at some sweet rc wheels.. I was but they were for 1;1 cars.... duh
    Last edited by lektro; 08-05-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Those wheels are in fact aluminum beadlock rims! I have personally seen a set on a Slash 4x4. I have given thought to getting a set for the next Ultimate edition I buy

I have those, great wheels. Use a M3 socket head screw as a wrench for the 10,000 screws. You can also scratch Drvnpro from the wheel list, he quit making them.

Clarification for Drvnpro; they are on the back burner, we won't be seeing them anytime soon. Still making them, just slammed with non rc work at the moment. Good bad news???

I would say good for later down the road on a lot of parts these days!
    Choose Life !!!

I am relying on you guys word on these. You both seem to be a trusted source......... I was also looking at the balistic rims. 169.00 if i recall correctly, for 4, back order of course. the mickey thompsons were all i could find that looked decent. we shall see soon..When i want something, I have the hardest time waiting for a back order.
    Choose Life !!!

Do you have a link for the Balistic rims? I didn't know that was a company that made 2.2/3.0 rims?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc4wd-b...xoCn8UQAvD_BwE

https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Ballis...ls_p_5138.html

probably not what you are looking for. Ballistic has some nice 1:1 scale tires i do know.
    Last edited by lektro; 08-05-2018 at 08:58 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Choose Life !!!

You're looking at 2.2s on those Ballistics, not short course on the format. Don't pull the trigger on the wrong ones. Check flea bay.

I did order 2 sets of these. Wanted to let everyone know after I received them and knew they would fit the bill. still looking at all aluminum and billet machined
    They fit fine... Miltdoggie has a set:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6353196
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Went with the Micky Thompson's this time. I like them so far.

RC Enthusiast
    ooohhh i like those, are they smaller than the stock wheels/tires?
    Think i'm gonna get me some of those as well in due time.
    J

They look sweet!!!!.
    It's got me thinking about using some of my Vanquish rims on my Traxxas rig;there "1.9/1.9" but theyre are plenty of tires that will fit.
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    I forgot the Methods are bigger 2"/2" if memory serves.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 08-10-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Went with the Micky Thompson's this time. I like them so far.

Those wheels look great! I have been on the fence about getting a set of those or not. When I get my next Ultimate edition I may have to pick up a set

20180810_095422 by MAC FAB, on Flickr

These are going on my Bomber build (built with a potpourri of Traxxas parts, Slash 4x, 2x and Summit), so they are 5-1/2" tall 2.2s. Perhaps on a Bajr or bug? SCORE TT tires, also BFG KR2s, are a direct fit, 4-5/8" tall for that agressive, better proportioned look. IF you haven't mounted yours up yet, here is the secret: Have 6 M3 socket head screws, say 16mm in length (Home Depot, cheap) and start the rings with the long screws. Once snug, the little ones easily go in without frustration.

The more I look at those rims, the more I like them Nitrobugg. Them itty bitty screws were a pain to take off though, I do know that. I will surely have to put some stainless steel cap screws in mine. The little socket they give you sure didn't help. Glad I had an extra hex wrench laying around. Gooped it on.

Here's a sweet set for you. Going back on the ups truck though...Ballistics

Last edited by lektro; 08-10-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    They fit fine... Miltdoggie has a set:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6353196
    Had to do a double take on the bronco... Nice rigs!!!
    Choose Life !!!

The more I look at those rims, the more I like them Nitrobugg. Them itty bitty screws were a pain to take off though, I do know that. I will surely have to put some stainless steel cap screws in mine. The little socket they give you sure didn't help. Glad I had an extra hex wrench laying around. Gooped it on.

Here's a sweet set for you. Going back on the ups truck though...Ballistics

These will look good with BLACknWHITE...... When they come back in stock.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Racer
    Great idea on the longer screws! It IS a pain to get the first couple of screws started, and this would help a lot.

Also, gluing or soldering that little wrench to a hex driver is a great idea also. I have an extra one that I can dedicate to that task.

Too bad more companies aren't making more 2.2/3.0 SC aluminum beadlock wheels like they do 1.9's, and 2.2's. I guess the demand is not high enough yet maybe?

When I started looking for an electric vehicle, I was looking at the Bomber, Wraith, Yeti, and the TRX4 trucks, but went with the Slash 4x4. Glad I did....have 2 of them now. But, the aluminum wheel selection is rather low compared to the variety for say a Rock Racer, Trail Truck, or a Crawler. However the Slash was designed for a different purpose, and it does a fantastic job doing it.

You can add extenders as was mentioned earlier, but in this case, I wanted to keep the same "stock" footprint, sticking to the SC size tires and wheels so I could change bodies without making any modifications. 6 screws, and putting the rear bumper back on, and I can run my Mike, and Mark Jenkins bodies too using the same truck.

The Mickey Thompson wheels look great, and if I ever decide to get another set of aluminum wheels, I will try the Raceline Monsters. They are great looking too.
    Last edited by NitroBugg; 08-10-2018 at 11:57 PM.

I will say this to everyone on this thread. Once I got my first set of aluminum rims I was hooked! I really can't see myself running anything else on a Slash 4x4.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcor View Post
    ooohhh i like those, are they smaller than the stock wheels/tires?
    Think i'm gonna get me some of those as well in due time.
    J
    Almost the same...Badlands are about 1/4" wider. Can't tell much from the height. Maybe 1/16" shorter than the Traxxas BFG's?

Naw Nitrobugg! I bet it's more like 3/64ths on the height...... They both are a great set of tires.
    Choose Life !!!

I will say this to everyone on this thread. Once I got my first set of aluminum rims I was hooked! I really can't see myself running anything else on a Slash 4x4.

You can surely bet, I will be buying aluminum from now on.....
    Choose Life !!!