RC Enthusiast

Unhappy NEW TRX-4 DEAD in 5 days!

What's up guys, I'm new to the forum and the crawling world and after some research I picked myself up a shiny new Bronco. I have about 2 hours total run time on it over the course of 5 days and up to this point was loving every minute.

Of course I quickly got started on a few little mods. Today I installed some aluminum 1.9 beadlock wheels with some Interco swampers. Some other goodies are on the way but at the moment the truck is stock except wheels and some small brass 3mm hexes for clearance.

Well right after installing the wheels I went to test them out around the yard in some short grass and a little on the street. Climbed a couple curbs and after about 15 minutes the truck died. No steering no nothing. I removed the body to find no light on the ESC and the receiver flashing green. Pressing the button on the ESC had no effect. I tried disconnecting the battery and as soon as I plugged it back in I heard a not so nice fizzling sound so I immediately disconnected the battery.

I called Traxxas who says the ESC is likely dead. He thought maybe it went to thermal shutdown and asked to try plugging the battery back in. As soon as I connect the battery the truck starts driving on it's own so he said he's pretty sure it's fried.

Then I got Traxxas telling me there's about a 2 week turn around and I have to pay shipping for a new ESC and they have to test mine before they send another. I mean I have barely 2 hours on the truck and it hasn't even been a week! I told them put a hold on my CC and just ship one out. Anything to cut down on down time but he said he doesn't have that ability. So I asked, well who does? To which he replied "no one".

So my question is could this be related to fitting heavier wheels on the truck? I would think it should be able to handle it no problem but it seemed to happen right after I put them on. So either a coincidence and I just didn't have enough time on the truck to expose any potential defects or this thing can't handle carrying around a few extra ounces.

At this point I just want to get back up and running ASAP but with Traxxas support it sounds like I'm dead in the water for 2 weeeks. Being that I haven't owned the thing for a week I thought they would've at least shipped one out to me right away instead of waiting to receive mine! Oh well, I guess you live and you learn and maybe next time I'll make a better choice of where to spend my money. Sorry for the long post, just trying to get acclimated! I'm pretty upset but man she's just so beautiful!! At least I still have a pretty desk ornament.

RC Enthusiast
    So I was able to get things sorted by the next day. I stopped at my local hobby shop and turns out the steering servo died and most likely fried the ESC. Two birds one stone I guess. I've heard a lot about the servo failing but has anyone had both go out at once? Pretty disappointing to have that happen so early in the game but I get it, things break.

To get back up and running same day I upgraded to a Hobbywing 1080 and a better Servox MG servo. Cost me a bit more money but now I feel a bit better about the electronics. That and I'll have new stock parts as spares if the need arises.

I was feeling a little buyers remorse but one look at the TRX-4 makes it go away. Hopefully I'll have some better luck going forward.

Last edited by TMoney128; 08-12-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Well, that sucks!!!

The servos are fused, so they are not supposed to take out the ESC, but it does happen. Your scenario isn't that common, but not unheard of; bad luck would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth.

I removed the stock servo almost immediately and has been pressed into service on my King Hauler with no issues. I knew I would be pushing the 2075 passed its limits with the brass portals, beadlocks and adding weight in the front. The metal gears in the 2075 are a nice upgrade, but the TRX4 is just too heavy for a 120oz servo; bare minimum for this rig should be 200oz, and really 300oz to get the job done right. Given this, the heavier wheel are likely what killed everything.

Aside from a dead-band issue I had with radio that cause the drag brakes to not engage (mode 5), my XL5 worked like a champ until the day I ripped it out. I was running a 10A BEC with the servo so I would not over tax the XL5's BEC. The Hobbywing ESC isn't terrible, there are a good number of people that run that. I went full overtime (as in paycheck) on mine and threw in a Mamba X with a sensored 1900kv motor.

The shipping thing is odd. I haven't seen that before, but it has been a while since I have had to send something in, so policies might have changed, but it annoying none the less.

As far as reliability goes, Traxxas is better than other companies I have bought from.

Hope you have better luck with your TRX4. I am sure once your electronics problems go away you will have a blast with it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    It's good to see your lhs help you figure it out. The stock servo isn't the best, does the job ok. Unfortanly some have bad luck with them. Myself my stock servo sits in my parts box as a spare. Electrical issues can sometimes be a mystery. Hopefully your have good luck from here on out.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. Yea I'm really glad I went back to the hobby shop since if I went through with the RMA I would've waited weeks only to find my steering servo was dead too, or worse it may have even fried the new ESC, who knows.

I almost did go with the Mamba X but I just wasn't feeling good about spending that much more money having not even had the chance to enjoy the truck in stock form. Not enough to see the limitations and weaknesses to make sense of an upgrade.

From what I read, the Hobbywing can at least handle an upgraded servo with the 3A BEC and I wouldn't lose any functions that the XL5 had. Only thing I needed was the JST plug to power the Traxxas light kit which they gladly soldered in for me right onto the Hobbywing. To me it was still an upgrade over the stock one and the bill wasn't too heavy seeing how I just dropped nearly 600 for a ready to run truck.

So far I'm really enjoying the truck so I hope she starts treating me good!

RC Enthusiast
    For anyone else with the same problem with a new truck. Take it back for a full refund if Traxxas will not give you a relacement in a reasonable time. At the end of the day it should work straight away and its not your problem it went pop so although I get they need to test the part, it should not hamper a new owner. Traxxas should be able to deal with this sort of thing straight away, if not tell them your return it for a full refund as its clearly faulty. Then either buy another or another model.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by audiobull View Post
    For anyone else with the same problem with a new truck. Take it back for a full refund if Traxxas will not give you a relacement in a reasonable time. At the end of the day it should work straight away and its not your problem it went pop so although I get they need to test the part, it should not hamper a new owner. Traxxas should be able to deal with this sort of thing straight away, if not tell them your return it for a full refund as its clearly faulty. Then either buy another or another model.
    That's how I was feeling to be honest. I'm not here to bash anyone but after spending that kind of money and going through all that in under a week I thought they would have expedited the repair process. I even offered for them to put a hold on my card in case they didn't receive the old parts back but they said it wasn't possible.

Since my LHS didn't have the ESC is stock my only option was to spend more money if I wanted a functional truck. Not the greatest experience but maybe it's something Traxxas can improve on in the future.

In my opinion under 30 days electronic failures they should really try to get you up and running ASAP. I can understand if I owned the truck for 6 months but being it was less than a week and wasn't caused by abuse I thought there wouldn't be much inconvenience.

The hobby shop I bought it from was even going on telling me how great Traxxas support is (before I bought it) and how they've had times where Traxxas asked them to pull parts off their RTR cars to get the customer up and running. Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me.

Traxxas support is great. It doesn't sound like Traxxas that they would make you pay return shipping and then make you wait for testing. I'd call back and speak to somebody else and if all else fails ask for a manager.