RC Competitor

Brushless Question

I am looking at buying a Summit, but I want more speed out of it, but still be able to crawl when needed.

Now I know you can buy and put in a brushless motor. But the guy at my local hobby shop has said not to get one, or to do it, and that I would blow too many parts.

So my question is if I did go ahead with buying a summit and putting a brushless motor in it, what sort of parts will I blow/ break? Is it worth it?

Thanks
    Keggo
    Last edited by Keggo; 08-09-2018 at 09:41 PM.

If going brushless in the Summit you'll pretty well need the entire LEM catalog of parts. Leading Edge Machining is where you want to go.

RC Competitor
    Thank you for the reply. That is sounding very expensive. So the guy at the local hobby shop was right. It is not really worth doing. Maybe try and buy a second hand one already done. Thank you again.

Iíll have to disagree. I upgraded to a Mamba Monster X and a sensored 2250kv 4274 motor and run on 4S. I have upgraded no other part of the drivetrain and have had no additional part failures. My uses for the Summit are mainly trailing and rock summiting and gravel lot bashing at the end of the hike.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Competitor
    ksb51rl- So you have upgraded to a brushless motor, and haven't had to change any parts. Can you still crawl when needed? Thank you. Maybe I'll get one and do it after all. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Keggo View Post
    ksb51rl- So you have upgraded to a brushless motor, and haven't had to change any parts. Can you still crawl when needed? Thank you. Maybe I'll get one and do it after all. Thank you.
    Going thru the parts in my mind:
    Slipper pads changed to T-Maxx brake disk (long time ago)
    Transmission is stock
    Center shafts are stock
    Differentials are stock
    Halfshafts are stock

As I mentioned, my brushless system is sensored, so it is smooth like the stock motor at low speed and fast like the ERBE at high speeds. It crawls just as well as stock and has the added benefit of being significantly more efficient than a brushed system.

Please note that I posted my typical uses for good reason. Though in no way is it babied, I do not bash the Summit like I do my ERBEs or other vehicles. If you thrash it, like any other vehicle, there will be breakages.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

I agree with ksb51rl. I have a mmx and sensored 2200kv motor and I love it. I haven't upgraded anything but the ESC and motor and have no problems doing summit runs on 4s. That's trails, baby jumps and general messing around. I think that if you're going to bash it like an erbe, just get one of those instead. The summit is too nice to take off 8' jumps and such.

RC Competitor
    Thank you for your help. I think that is what I'll do next. I'll get one then put a brushless motor in it. One last question, what are the spur gear, and pinion gear ratios. Thank you for your help.

RC Competitor
    I want it for the trails. Small straights, will be when I want the power the most. No jumps, or very little ones or ones hit by mistake. Then I want to be able to crawl when needed. I have an ERBE and I love it, but it dosen't crawl. I bought an another brand rock racer, but it dosen't have the crawling capability that I see the summit has. So I'll get a summit and put a brushless in it. Would an ERBE motor and ESC be an easier change over, or should I look at Monster Mamba, or hobbywing?
    Last edited by Keggo; 08-15-2018 at 08:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    If you want to crawl you need a sensored esc and motor

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running this in my Summit:
    https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=6409672516

It's not sensored but doesn't have any problems with cogging at very low speed so it crawls fine to me. (I didn't want sensored because I heard that you had to be more careful about getting them wet... Everyone else here says sensored matters so maybe I'm lucky or maybe I don't know what it means to really crawl.)

However, I've been breaking driveshafts (the ones that go from the diff to the wheels.) A guy from the LHS talked me out of upgrading to steel ones saying that steel driveshafts would tear up my diffs and since a full set of plastic ones only costs about $16 to replace. Having said that, both times that I've broken them have been due to being kind of abusive and/or letting a 9-year-old drive it.

I think if you're looking to run some trails and some light jumps here and there you'll enjoy the extra top end speed. Just be judicious on the throttle.

That's my input anyway...

RC Competitor
    Thank you, everyone, for your help. Now I just have to get the summit and buy the motor and esc. Can't wait.

I have sucessfully put a castle Mamba Monster X ESC with a 2200kv motor and it runs fine with no extra upgrades. other than the motor, the truck is stock
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

RC Enthusiast
    Gotta say I love the monster X and 2200kv sensored motor upgrade I did to mine.
    Its been swimming and caked in mud then hosed off when finished and so far I've have no problem with the upgrade.
    The only things I've broken since the upgrade that's transmission related are a couple of drive shafts but that was more inexperience and having the slipper clutch incorrectly adjusted.
    One of the best things about going brushless is the extended run times and it still crawls just as good as a brushed motor.

RC Competitor
    Thank you, everyone, for your help. Your input is muchly appreciated. I just have to buy one now.

RC poster
    Hi. Please forgive my ignorance but if you run a brushless motor on 3s or 4s are the batteries bigger? I was wondering how easy it would be to find batteries to fit the Summit battery bays.

RC Qualifier
    For the Summit Check out SMC batteries, I believe they have some large batteries that will fit the Summit. You will need 2 2s batteries. At least 5000mah and 40c. That is what I use in mine. I know SMC makes larger batteries that fit the Summit as well. Just checked out SMC and they have a whopper of a battery for the Summit that I would highly recommend for good run times. Itís a 10,500mah battery and itís not expensive @ $60 each. They also have a 7,400mah battery that would work well in the Summit. Prices for them are a bit cheaper. But IMO, I wound get the largest ones you can. This way you donít have to worry about running out of battery! Youíll most likely get tired of playing with it before you dead the 10,500mah ones! I would think that 1 hour or more runtimes would be very realistic. JMHOís. Hope this helps. Good day.

RC Enthusiast
    I went brushless in my rustler 2 years ago with the Velineon 3500 and esc. Since then I rebuilt the truck after snapping the chassis in 2. I am on my 4th set of differential gears, steel axles, 2 or 3 slipper clutch assemblies a set of tires and a bunch of upgrades made at my decisions. Has been costly, yeah but my swapped car was 8 years old and I found amazon was my best friend. If you go 3s the damage increases even more. (That is how I killed two of my diff gear sets) Do I egret it no, do I wish I did my research yes. There are plenty of good suggestions by people who have done it. You do it and don't like it sell the motor and esc and go back to stock.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BwiPy7ncex2HqPgu7

RC poster
    Thankyou 222. I will have a look.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, be careful when or if you decide to go brushless. You definitely need some good control of your trigger finger!! And remember the faster you hit something with that large thing, the more parts get broken!!! It can become a very expensive move if you arenít a little conservative with the launches!! JMHOís. Good day.

RC poster
    I have a stock summit and I'm getting ready to put a mamba monster X esc & the 1515 sensored motor in it also. As far as waterproofing goes, a little dielectric grease and clear silicone works wonders. If you plan on taking it swimming, I suggest looking on YouTube for waterproofing tutorials. Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I just put in a bid for a summit and it already has a castle brushless system. So hopefully I get it. All good.

RC Competitor
    I just picked up a Summit for $250, and it is pretty much brand new. Now I have to look for a brushless motor and ESC. Would anyone know if the E-Revo motor and esc fit and work or is there a better suggestion.

RC Racer
    I did the conversion to the monster X and 2200kv sensored motor over a year ago. Tried to drive the Summit like an E Revo 2.0 and broke some stuff. Finally figured out how to adjust the ECS punch and throttle control and that made a big difference in reliability. Additionally, I don't lock the hubs if I'm doing any high speed bashing. (Dah) Overall I'm very happy with the conversion.
    recent vid of my buds and I doing some slow crawling. 2 of them are brushless:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV4__smCASc

My brushless Summit doing some bashing on my backyard course.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdFwD6EsUYE

RC Competitor
    One other quick question, what gearing did you use? Stock, erevo gearing (which I don't know, I'll need to look up)?

RC Competitor
    takinfrank- Love the videos. Was it the same erevo? So it crawls well with the brushless motor? Not too much power?

Quote Originally Posted by Keggo View Post
    takinfrank- Love the videos. Was it the same erevo? So it crawls well with the brushless motor? Not too much power?
    As mentioned above, for crawling, you really want to get a sensored motor/esc. That's what allows you to roll really slow without any jerking/hesitation slamming the drive train as you climb over stuff. Non-sensored is fine once the truck gets moving, but for crawling around at less than a walking pace, they chatter quite a bit.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Competitor
    Thank you. I'll look. into motors and esc's. Probably the mamba brand as that seems to be what most people go with. I know Tekin ones are out of my budget.

RC Racer
    I'm still running stock servos with the metal gears in them, and I am still using stock gearing. Did go to a heavy duty slipper clutch but can't remember the brand. When crawling and occasional use of high gear running I keep the stock Canyon ATs on the truck. When I know I'm gonna bash more in high gear I mount the 3.8 Mashers.

RC Competitor
    takinfrank- Thank you. Now I will start shopping for motor and esc, and a hesvy duty slipper clutch.