Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    VIC, Australia
    Posts
    53

    Shock Oil Question

    Hi,

    What weight oil comes in the X-Maxx 8S from factory and what are others running out there?

    Thanks,
    Martin

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    120
    I think its 30wt from factory.
    I'm running 30 in the front and 35 in the back.
    I'm using the HR progressive springs, red in the front and blue in the back.
    I do a lot of hill climbing, crawling and high speed over rough surfaces. not a lot of big air.
    the truck will start to bottom out over 5 feet of air with my setup

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    29
    Yup, 30wt from factory. It's some grey looking stuff. I just did all 4 of mine and 2 were blown. The rear were lower than they should be.

    In any case, I went to 40wt in the front and 50wt in the rear, and I'm running 1.450 springs in the front and 1.5x springs in the rear. Night and day difference. Jury is still out if it's too stiff though, as I've only been able to run it around the parking lot so far. Track/Bash time tomorrow for testing.

    Just as an FYI, it's just about 1 - 2oz bottle per shock.

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    VIC, Australia
    Posts
    53
    Thanks for the info guys, i may change my setup after a while. I also would like to fit the pro-line shock caps. They look tough!!

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    115
    proline has new shock shafts also.

    https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...fts-x-maxx.asp
    I'm the reason why we can't have nice things!

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    56
    I am running 45wt front + rear with the pro line shock caps, I like it.

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    VIC, Australia
    Posts
    53
    Thanks for the advice guys I just upgraded my shock caps and running 40w rear and 35w front.
    Will bring it for a bash and see what it's like


    Getting back into the RC game after 10 years!

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    56
    looking good morch

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Spudville Idaho
    Posts
    19
    Hey everyone! Curious what you guys think of you set ups after some bashing? I have the ProLine dual rate spring assortment set and am trying to figure out what spring combo and weight oil I should use. Main use is off road bashing with enough air time that my GoPro mount can't keep the camera level. LOL. Thanks!

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    812
    A stiffer than stock spring is better
    50wt shock oil - more or less
    fabricator

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    452
    I'd Try a heaver shock spring myself & leave the shock oil alone... That's what I did on my XMAXX works pretty good to

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Spudville Idaho
    Posts
    19
    Thanks CrazyXMAXX and grave75 for the replies. There seem to be many different opinions, except almost everything I've read now says to use stiffer springs. What I decided on for my dual rate springs is to go with the stiffest for the main big spring, and the softest for the top smaller spring. I was hoping the soft top spring will help smooth out the bumps, but the stiff large spring would help when landing the jumps.

    For shock oil, I kind of went in the middle... I wanted 35wt for the front and 40 or 45 for the rear... Ended up with 37.5 & 40.




    I took it out to the RC car track being built here in Idaho and gave it a good bashing. I like the setup so far. It is pretty amazing how well it handles the bumps, but can also take the big air. Unfortunately, I was tearing through the field and the hill behind the track and it flipped over, so I was tempted to try the self-right... (Only 2nd time I tried to use it) And now my rear diff makes a really loud clicking sound. Ended my fun early.

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    4
    Have you tested with the dual rate springs? I don't like it at all. It lower the chassis, and the top spring always been compressed even with the stiffest spring.
    This is the worst proline product I ever used.
    I just order the GTX 1.4 and 1.5 springs, will see the differences.
    Would you mid share a photo with the wheel on the ground?

  14. #14
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Spudville Idaho
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
    Have you tested with the dual rate springs? I don't like it at all. It lower the chassis, and the top spring always been compressed even with the stiffest spring.
    This is the worst proline product I ever used.
    I just order the GTX 1.4 and 1.5 springs, will see the differences.
    Would you mid share a photo with the wheel on the ground?

    Hello HelloKitty,

    Interesting! I thought it did better at handling the bumps and did well landing big jumps. However, that could be wishful thinking. LOL I think I have video of bashing at the same place before and after. I'll have to find time to dig through to see what I have and if I can see any noticeable difference. I currently have the soft top and firm lower, but the top does seem pretty compressed just sitting there. Ride height-wise, looks pretty okay to me. Here are some pics:








    (ps- I have the nice custom painted body on for the photos, not my normal stock body I currently use for bashing. LOL)

  15. #15
    RC Champion rizz0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,139
    unktob2002: that's a beautiful truck you've got there!

    on topic: i put 50wt front and rear. works good for landing big time air, but it handles like a hearse.
    rizzodtheRCvlogger - www.youtube.com/user/rizz0d

  16. #16
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Spudville Idaho
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    unktob2002: that's a beautiful truck you've got there!

    on topic: i put 50wt front and rear. works good for landing big time air, but it handles like a hearse.
    Thanks rizz0d! I posted a whole series of photos in the photo thread about how much went into that paint job. Fricken 30-40 hours total, I'd guess. lol

    On topic: I went a little heavier wt than stock, 37.5 wt front (wanted 35, but they didn't have) and 40 rear. Seemed better overall, but I might change out my springs again... once I fix the rear diff. �� Tried the self right for only 3rd time and now my 8S has super loud clicking sound coming from the rear diff, me thinks. T support said not covered and that he doesn't hear of diff problems very often. Anyway... hopefully I'll get it going this weekend or next and play with the spring rates some more.

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    VIC, Australia
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by UnkTob2002 View Post
    Thanks rizz0d! I posted a whole series of photos in the photo thread about how much went into that paint job. Fricken 30-40 hours total, I'd guess. lol

    On topic: I went a little heavier wt than stock, 37.5 wt front (wanted 35, but they didn't have) and 40 rear. Seemed better overall, but I might change out my springs again... once I fix the rear diff. �� Tried the self right for only 3rd time and now my 8S has super loud clicking sound coming from the rear diff, me thinks. T support said not covered and that he doesn't hear of diff problems very often. Anyway... hopefully I'll get it going this weekend or next and play with the spring rates some more.
    Seen a video recently where some guy was self righting his X-Maxx and he also had a loud clicking noise afterwards:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrPF_-uN7sw
    Maybe this is your issue!!

    On Topic: I haven't brought my X-Maxx for a bash since I fitted the shock tops but plan to next week or so
    Getting back into the RC game after 10 years!

  18. #18
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by morch_66479 View Post
    Seen a video recently where some guy was self righting his X-Maxx and he also had a loud clicking noise afterwards:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrPF_-uN7sw
    Maybe this is your issue!!

    On Topic: I haven't brought my X-Maxx for a bash since I fitted the shock tops but plan to next week or so
    Thats why I dont use self righting


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    E Revo 2.0 / Slash VXL 2wd / Rustler VXL 2wd

  19. #19
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
    Have you tested with the dual rate springs? I don't like it at all. It lower the chassis, and the top spring always been compressed even with the stiffest spring.
    This is the worst proline product I ever used.
    I just order the GTX 1.4 and 1.5 springs, will see the differences.
    Would you mid share a photo with the wheel on the ground?
    I got the proline kit as my hobby shop had nothing other than stocks. I will be returning as it's so junk; I installed the stiffest and realized it isnt going to work.

    This is by far the worst product I've ever purchased. The springs are low quality and its evident but the dual rate dont work. The soft small spring is always just bottomed out it's pointless. The xmaxx is getting into the weight and size where it would need a real progressive shock or a linkage like the revo to actually work. Linear stuff springs will be the best option and u just need to find a spring that's stiffer than stock.

    Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    VIC, Australia
    Posts
    53
    Went to take my X-Maxx for a bash yesterday and the ESC caught fire after 5 meters :/
    Getting back into the RC game after 10 years!

  21. #21
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Spudville Idaho
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by morch_66479 View Post
    Went to take my X-Maxx for a bash yesterday and the ESC caught fire after 5 meters :/
    Holly cow! That is terrible! Sorry to hear! How much damage did it cause to the rest of the truck? Any idea why it happened?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •