RC Racer

Josh's TRX4 journey

To start, ill be up front that im a (very new-to-RC) truck enthusiast, intent on backyard wheeling my mini 4x4 until the wheels fall off.
    I love upgrades, and will opt for better vs stock 100:1 as long as $$ is in the black. I have already been through some typical trx4 issues, and plan/commit to work through them as im now invested in a lifetime vehicle that i have completely embraced, and fills a void left by a lack of sufficient 1:1 wheeling.
    My intent here is to ...
    Document my trial and error.
    Learn, and share about success, failure, and fun.
    I owe pics already... working on that.
    Thanks to everyone posting who has helped me make a decision to pull the trigger on this truck, and helped me resolve the already frequent issues plaguing many TRX4 owners.

RC Racer

RC Racer

if this image embed works, there will be a pic above.
    Trying to figure out new image hosting since photobucket got greedy.
    The truck is still mostly stock at this point.
    Last edited by Stircrayzy; 08-12-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Trying flickr

Cant see pics still yet. I use tapatalk, u can upload straight from cell phone n its easy to use

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Not a big fan of tapatalk. Dont know why the links arent generating a pic in these posts.

RC Racer
    I didnt read anything in the stickys about a minimum post count restriction. Maybe a mod can advise?
    The first link below is the page of the image at flickr

The second link below is what flickr generates as the image share link, and neither will render a post photo when embedded.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158799901@N04/42185787740

https://flic.kr/p/27gPbXW
    Last edited by Stircrayzy; 08-12-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Link works lol. Nice truck! I love the bronco. One of these days ill have enuf saved up to get one. Cmon tax time lol

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I am viamently opposed to carrying spares on ME, so i built a storage box that fits inside the body. Its made from structural foam, and i have it tight enough vertically between the roof and battery and Fore-aft between the body struts, to act as rollover support. This should spread the rollover load pretty well, and took a good bit of trial and error to find the sweet spot. I used velcro to attach in place to the roof so i could leave it attached with the body most of the time, but remove it if i need to.
    Theres enough room for all the wrenches, a few spare servos/gears, and evenAA's and a small 2s battery.
    Pic 1 below?

https://flic.kr/p/LgH5GZ
    Pic 2 below

https://flic.kr/p/29XpmHG
    Pic 3 below

https://flic.kr/p/29Xpkcq

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    I am viamently opposed to carrying spares on ME, so i built a storage box that fits inside the body. Its made from structural foam, and i have it tight enough vertically between the roof and battery and Fore-aft between the body struts, to act as rollover support. This should spread the rollover load pretty well, and took a good bit of trial and error to find the sweet spot. I used velcro to attach in place to the roof so i could leave it attached with the body most of the time, but remove it if i need to.
    Theres enough room for all the wrenches, a few spare servos/gears, and evenAA's and a small 2s battery.
    Pic 1 below?

https://flic.kr/p/LgH5GZ
    Pic 2 below

https://flic.kr/p/29XpmHG
    Pic 3 below

https://flic.kr/p/29Xpkcq

Stircrayzy........that is just out right awesome!!

Ingenious!! I may have borrow that idea. Great stuff man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool idea. Not for me since it will hurt performance, but cool nontheless.

You can embed Flickr images. You have to hit the share arrow and select the BB Code tab. Don't choose anything larger than 1024 for forums.

For example it looks like this:

20180811_171849 by J F, on Flickr

RC Racer
    Thx Fu,
    Jato, im so used to wheelin big heavy trucks, the loss in perf just feels natural. Theres Always a tradeoff.

Not finding BB code option in the app and the desktop site is pretty clumsy, but not finding more the url, or email share option. Still working on it.

RC Racer
    Apparently this a common problem for mobile devices. Neither the mobile version of website or the app support BB code for some God forsaken reason. So i found loading the desktop site actually give me ALL the share options.
    Anyway, I can resume now.
    Stock quartering view...Nothing special
    20180811_175909 by J F, on Flickr

How i use my front battery tray, AAs for now to test my velcro strap durability. Eventually ill get a small 2S battery to sit there as backup when i use up the main Batt.
    20180811_172025 by J F, on Flickr

Heres the toolbox attached to the body which is 90% effective at lining back up when i drop the body back on.
    20180811_171720 by J F, on Flickr

Toolbox Open!
    I glued in magnets to the top. and ran som small stainless screws in the flap door to keep closed. The hinge is a piece of vinyl glued to the foam.
    20180811_171729 by J F, on Flickr

You can barely see where i had to grind down the LH side of the servo horn to clear the track bar.
    Maybe its cuz it was a cheap servo, but the horn overall is about 1/4" thick and limited uptravel on the one side.
    Anyone else have that issue with aftermarket horns?
    20180811_172001 by J F, on Flickr
    Last edited by Stircrayzy; 08-16-2018 at 08:36 PM.

this horn fits like a glove. No grinding needed

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

RC Racer
    Have you flipped it over and see it for yourself?
    Whats the overall thickness?

RC Enthusiast
    I have that same Hot Racing horn and it hits the steering linkage just before full compression (on my defender)
    Kind of annoying. Will look to get the Traxxas metal horn unless there is another one that works.

RC Racer
    Went to my first actual legit crawler course today. Family RC here in clinton twp. A few miles away from home.
    Took a couple 3-4 foot high drops , rolls, and endos, and gained a few battlescars, but no breakage .
    My cheapo amazon 20kg steering servo did ok, but refused to turn a few times when the tires were pinned tight. Not sure why but shortly after those pinches, the steering seemed less reaponsive in 1 direction for about 10 seconds after. Is that normal overheating/stress? I could definately see why the case gets made for savox. 1 day it may fit into the budget.
    On to the pics.
    1st real crawler course. by J F, on Flickr

RC Racer

Very hard to prohibit the little kids from "trying"

RC Racer
    After a couple hours of beach running, mixed sand bashing & crawling, the truck is holding up surprisingly well, but definately finding room for improvements.

#1. The sides of the body NEVER stay in the rocker panel slots. Very annoying when the sand gets slung insideand proceeds to encrust pretty much everytthing.

#2. RUST ! Every fastener has a brown hue now. I see there are stainless conversion kits for $35 but for now im ordering a crapload of assorted cap screws from a local industrial supply to convert everything as i take apart for service/ maint. $10.

#3 stock motor died in the water, fwd and reverse. After running in the surf, i tried to get to a deeper area and it died. Still had steering, so i knew the receiver was still going, so i went and retrieved it. After shaking the water out a bit and checking that it hadnt seized or just had sand stuck in it, it still would not respond to input. The green light flickered when throttle applied but no motion.
    Once back at camp i put a half charge on the battery, and took the motor/gear cover apart. This area needs some serious seal help. Sand and water all throughout!
    Anyone silicone seal the drive gear case? Im going to try something for sure.
    Anyway, put it all back together, motor spinning free, and it was still dead, so i did the next most natural thing, smacked the motor with a stick. It twitched so i hit fwd/rev whilst whacking it, and its now humming along just like new.
    This makes me think the brushes were not seated well, and were just reset a bit by brute force.
    Are these brushes serviceable???

#4. Factory wheels are in need of regluing. After squeezing the warer out a few times, i see the glue is failing in a couple areas.

Just received my ESC rocker button in the mail from china, its a tape on version, so i will be planning to run a lockdown bolt through it somewhere.
    Last edited by Stircrayzy; 08-28-2018 at 09:32 PM.

RC Racer
    After some detailed backyard crawling i realized the RH tire was not stuffing into the fender as deep as the LH. Further analysis proved that during a turn the steering arm was still hitting the track bar during right side compression. I realized last time that i just dont have the right allen wrench to get the servo horn good and tight while its on the truck, so i took the whole servo off to finish the clearancing.
    Final result is a minimum thickness of 3mm where the track bar passes under the horn. Now the track bar actually limits out on the frame rail, which is very close to but not quite bottoming out the shock.
    Modified steering arm by J F, on Flickr

Modified steering arm by J F, on Flickr

RC Racer
    Ever since i bought this truck, ive been hankering for a way to carry it around to track/trail, house, garage, etc, and contain some of the mess.
    After searching all the totes, containers, tubs at the typical supply Stores, i randomly saw this rectangular bucket down a cleaning aisle of all places... it is **** near perfect, if you want to store it upside down, because it "was" tapered moving down towards the bottom. After 12 hours in a billiard ball oven (dont ask) at 200 deg it was pliable enough to expand the bottom just enough to fit the 10" width of the axle/stock tire, and store the truck right side up.

Im currently working on attached storage options, and possibly incorporating a work table, and lighting maybe.
    Pics tomorrow...
    Last edited by Stircrayzy; 09-07-2018 at 04:35 PM.

RC Racer
    My plan is to recess the Tx in the hinged pc of foam i added. Its a fairly tight squeeze but should work.
    Possibly something under the center of the truck for a compact charger, sesled up.
    Im planning a hinge on the opposite end with a lid attached. The theory is that i could lock it closed for transport, or use as a work table while running.
    One big hurdle to cross, is that when i have the entire family out to a park, there is literally nowhere in my Jeep to put it, so the bucket may need to be strapped to the roof, or maybe ill build some sort of small 2in receiver mount to attach it. That in mind, im working on it with intention of being weatherproof/sealed.

Carry All by J F, on Flickr

Im working on it during lunch breaks, so progress will be slow i think.

RC Enthusiast
    Any video of that crawler course? Nice truck..

RC Racer

Im heading out today for an hour, to test front battery performance. maybe i can get more, but i dont have a cameraman tagging along.
    Last edited by Stircrayzy; 09-22-2018 at 07:16 AM.

RC Racer
    So i had been bookmarking misc small batt packs for a while, and my loving wife and kids decided to order me one (set) that i had been eyeing. Floureon 2 Packs 3S 11.1V 1500mAh 35C... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SGYXD4M...*yo_pop_ma_swf
    They came with some pretty nice little battery monitor/alarms good for 1S-8S. They will readout individual cell voltage, and total v. Also you can set the alarm for low voltage in case your esc doesnt have low v protection. $25 cant go wrong.
    I ran the truck yesterday using many different configs and combinations to compare performance on mostly off-camber climbs and vertical tipover thresholds.
    Overall i think its obvious front batt only was def the winner. Also wanted to try "full trail gear" weight performance. For the record that means loading the truck with spare shift & steering servos/gears, Tx batteries, tools, and three batteries (5200mah 2S, and 2x 1500mah 3s). Total truck weight for this scenario is about 10lbs, and the reason is because i dont like stuffing my pockets full of gear, or wearing backpacks while hiking in 90 degree heat. Plus sometimes im at the beach, and wet pockets arent that useful.
    Here is the new 3s in the front tray, its a sloppy fit, needs a small pc of foam to lock it in because on a couple crashes, it slipped out sideways a bit.
    New cheapo 3s mini batteries by J F, on Flickr

Top view with all 3 batteries on board.

Close up of 3rd batt strapped to the rear body strut

The batteries came with xt60 plugs, so i picked up a couple adapters, so swapping would be easy .

Also added a remote esc button, which was almost a disaster. During a rollover the truck wedged between a couple obstacles, which squeezed the rocker inward, actuated the lever/esc, and pinched the lever in position. I didnt realize anything was wrong, until the next rollover, when i saw a red glow through the windshield. The esc being pressed for 10sec+ had deactivated the low voltage protection! I tightened the rockers outboard a bit, but will be keeping an eye on that issue.

RC Racer
    Im In process of wiring in a servo limiter for the diff locks, with inline pots.
    While im wiring... figured i may as well swap the signal wires to reverse the throws so i can lock the rear first then front. It seems that simple, but am i missing something?

RC Racer
    After lots of digging i see wiring to reverse servos involves going inside the servo, so im waiting to see if Traxxas will warranty my shift servo before i start experimenting on my dysfunctional one. I was going to order metal gear shift servos once my limiter pots are working.

Stircrayzy you have a nice rig with some nice ideas.

Looking forward to your next additions / ideas

RC Racer
    Thanx Primus, as a natural tinkerer, im not usually satisfied leaving things alone.