RC poster

No throttle response; steering response is bizarre

New to X Maxx; like two weeks. Bought the truck used. It ran awesome in the driveway. Body a bit beat so I did the bed-liner thing according to ReglarGuy, and fabbed up some “body savers” using aluminum and rubber from bicycle tube to fix the screw-head “pull-throughs”. Checked the batteries on the charger and they were charged and the volt spread across cells was close and the Ohms seemed about right.

At the bash place this afternoon I energized the truck and drove around slow for about 5 seconds to check steering trim (took a lot of discipline) before hitting the throttle. Immediately I thought that the truck is slower then the first run in the driveway. About 3-4 minutes in the truck quit running, steering still worked. Pullled body and the red voltage light was on. Truck turned off and on (to limp it back to the Jeep) and voltage light went away; the truck took off again for about 1 min. and stopped; no voltage light this time. My thought: Ok, may the batteries lost charge sitting for those few days; I got two shot batteries.

Changed out the 4s SMC 7400 batts and when I did I noticed that the driver’s side battery was noticeably warmer then the passenger batt. Put in my 3s Traxxas batts that I have been using in my Slash and are known good. Truck powers up, no low-voltage light, truck will not move, steering works; same as with the 4s batts.

Now that you have read the background you get to read the best part: During field trouble shooting my mechanical “spidey” sense was alerted. (Wheels do turn left and right with the steering wheel.) So, I lift the front end off the ground and touched the throttle on the transmitter and... the the front wheels turned to driver just a tick!

Did this test several times, and the front wheels would “jerk” just a bit towards driver and I could keep tapping the trigger until they reached full lock (took a lot of tapping). Then, when I stopped the trigger tapping the wheels would “jerk” once more to driver then spontaneously return to center without any input from me.

Oh yes, when I got home I but the 4s batts on the charger and the “warm” battery had one dead cell (0.000 volts and an error message).

Am I dealing with more than one issue? Is this a known issue? Thoughts?

Thanx for the help

That is the exact same issue I am having with mine as well.

I am calling Traxxas after work and see what we can troubleshoot.
    Kraken Baja
    Traxxas X-Maxx

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ajb1205 View Post
    That is the exact same issue I am having with mine as well.

I am calling Traxxas after work and see what we can troubleshoot.
    Please post back what Traxxas told you as there may be others with same / similar problem.

Thanx
    Guy

Will do......
    Kraken Baja
    Traxxas X-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    Low battery voltage/ balance issues
    TSM active when lifting possible issue
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Any new word on this? My X-maxx won't move. HELP??

RC poster
    Did a couple of things.

First-
    I reset the transmitter to factory defaults; this made no change with regards to the “no throttle response” symptom. However, while checking for changes after the reset of transmitter (and also having read the owner’s manual a little closer), I turned the multi-function knob (controls TSM by factory default) to “0”. This action eliminated the front wheels “ticking” to driver’s side with each pull of the throttle. With even just a little bit of TSM activated by the multi-function knob the front wheels would “tick” to the driver’s side. This may be normal; I don’t know. Anybody know for sure?

Second-
    I cycled the ESC through all three modes (Sport, Race, and Training) and tested for throttle function; the throttle did not work in any of the three modes. TSM and front wheels did as in “First-“ above with TSM engaged.

?What to try next?

RC poster
    I thought of something. If I disconnect the wires between the motor and the ESC I then can measure volts and ohms across the leads. ?I could do this for both the motor and the ESC, right? ?Where do I find the values for such tests; and which wires to measure? ?Would powerering up the ESC without the leads connected to the motor be an issue? Also, the motor fans run nicely when the unit is power up.

Background note:
    When the truck quit running I noticed no odor of burnt/hot electrical as is often common when an electric motor dies.

RC poster
    Did this and the truck works: Re-calibrated the ESC.

Should have done this prior to looking for bigger ($$) problems. My bad.

Stupid simple fix; and I know better. Always apply the KISS principle first.

RC Competitor
    HOW???!! How do I recalibrate my ESC???

I tried something. I plugged my esc into CH1, and my steering servo into CH2. Now I get throttle and reverse through the wheel, but no steering through the trigger. It looks like this is a problem with the Rx. Would anyone concur??

Wile
    Last edited by WileECoyote; 08-14-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Sorry guys...didn't get off work till 9pm last night. I will hopefully have a chance to call tonight after work.
    Kraken Baja
    Traxxas X-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    Sounds reasonable
    Receiver change and test
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Hey CrazyX
    I don't have another Rx to cross check this issue. How should I proceed?
    Thanks

Wile

RC Qualifier
    Ebay $25 Traxxas tsm receiver
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Ebay $25 Traxxas tsm receiver
    Should I just get an Rx and Tx while I'm at it? I can get the pair for $50.

Wile

RC Qualifier
    Up to you
    Always sell it
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Probably the smartest idea considering I don't know which part is faulty...

Wile

RC poster
    ESC re-calibration, directly from the X-Maxx manual, page 18:

VXL-8s Setup Programming (calibrating the speed control and transmitter)

The speed control is calibrated at the factory. If the LED on the speed control is flashing green, then follow these steps to recalibrate it (set the throttle to the neutral position).

1. Connect two fully charged LiPo batteries to the VXL-8s.

2. Turn on the transmitter (with the throttle at neutral).

3. Press and hold the EZ-Set button (A). The LED will first turn green and then red. Release the EZ-Set button.

4. When the LED blinks RED ONCE, pull the throttle trigger to the full throttle position and hold it there (B).

5. When the LED blinks RED TWICE, push the throttle trigger to the full reverse and hold it there (C).

6. When the LED blinks GREEN ONCE, programming is complete. The LED will then shine green.