RC Racer

37 76 Gearing on Slash 2WD VXL???

So I've been working on a project lately, converting my Slash 2WD VXL into a speed buggy.

Currently, I am running 31 76 Gearing on it. I did a speed run today and was able to get to 62 mph before I ran out of room, but I'm pretty sure it can go faster.

I'm running a 3S 4500 mAH battery on it. I am also getting a heatsink for the motor as well as a fan for the ESC to keep it cool.

I've been considering going to 37 76 gearing in hopes of achieving even faster speeds. This car is only used for speed runs, ran once every 3-4 days. Would it be safe for my motor to be running gearing this high?

Thank you all!

RC Competitor
    Depends in how many runs, I say 3-4 MAX amount of runs. I seen people running 42/45 and the engines heat up to 140 on one run. It's deffenetly due-able. But be careful.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Even with a heatsink? And what is the maximum "safe" temperature for my motor when running?

Quote Originally Posted by jainm View Post
    Even with a heatsink? And what is the maximum "safe" temperature for my motor when running?
    Yup, motor heat is going to tell you what you can do and what you can't. Geared so high you should run telemetry or take temps on your motor after each run. Generally, you want to stay below 160*/f, any hotter and your start to damage the motor. Being that aggressive with gearing, you'll also want to take temps on your ESC and battery.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    I'm getting an ESC fan. I also drilled holes on the top of the body to allow air to vent. What can I use to monitor temps?

I'm getting an ESC fan. I also drilled holes on the top of the body to allow air to vent. What can I use to monitor temps?
    A temp gun from Harbor Freight will do the trick.

https://www.harborfreight.com/infrar...ter-93984.html

You should upgrade your motor/esc if you want to run gearing that tall. The stock VXL cant really handle that.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    You should upgrade your motor/esc if you want to run gearing that tall. The stock VXL cant really handle that.
    Will it overheat or something?

I installed a heat sink on my motor today, it fit perfectly and I put some PC thermal paste in between so that it would conduct heat better.

I also installed the ESC fan today, will that help?

Will it overheat or something?

I installed a heat sink on my motor today, it fit perfectly and I put some PC thermal paste in between so that it would conduct heat better.

I also installed the ESC fan today, will that help?
    You are running an extreme setup for that motor and ESC, everything you have done will help, but overheating is still the main concern (closely followed by a horrific crash that you hopefully get on video).

RC Racer
    What kind of motor would you suggest that could handle 3s?