Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    13

    Best motor combo?

    Hello,

    Just got an trx4 sport and loving it.

    Only problem i have with it is that it doesn't like water as much i like water.

    Well the engine doesnt.

    Im into my secound engine now and it starting to smell bad aswell.


    I'm looking for a fully waterproof brushless setup, or a waterproof esc and cheap motor witch i can swap every half a year or so when its full of rust.

    I've seen both hobbywing and castle have complete systems.

    Someone said hobbywing was hard do drive because it works in a diffrent way where the throtle doesnt apply the throthle anymore but wheelspeed.

    What KV motor would you recomend? it is a crawler so i guess the lower the better?

    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ro...bo-010-0155-08

    Is this my best choice?

    Thanks
    Andreas

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    North kingstown ri
    Posts
    166
    DeWalt 12v drill motor and a power wheels speed controller

    Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    124
    Most people do go with Castle, and it really depends how much speed you want to have the potential of.
    The higher the kv of the motor, the more potential for speed. The 1900-2250kv range is probably closest to the stock electronics.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    13
    I like the power output of the stock motor, its well enought for my driving in every point.

    The only reason i'm whapping system is because to make the truck survive xD

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,626
    Just remember, "waterproof" does not mean "maintenance proof". If you pull your motor, clean and lubricate it after you are done running in water and/or mud, it will last you a good long while. Even the high-end brushless systems like my 1900kv sensored motor needs to be pulled out and cleaned to keep it operating well.

    Also, water itself acts like an abrasive on the brushes, wearing them down a lot faster. When brushed motors were king for racing the drivers would cut in the brushes by running the motor in water for about 10 minutes. This would get the brushes to the sweet spot for wear, giving maximum power. The down side is it take about a third of the life away from the motor.

    For cleaning, I pull the motor and run electric motor cleaner through it until it run clear. I blow it out with air and let it sit over night. Just before I reinstall the motor I put a drop of light machine oil on each bushing, spinning the motor shaft. Aside from letting the motor sit over night, the whole process shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    13
    i'll have that i mind

    But from what i understand, the castle setup is the best choice?

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,626
    Quote Originally Posted by mjaadtm View Post
    i'll have that i mind

    But from what i understand, the castle setup is the best choice?
    The Mamba X with a low KV motor works very well. But, if you are going to be running it through water, you have to put dielectric grease on the sensor connectors so they do not short out, they, for some reason, are not waterproof. That combo with the two-speed transmission gives a great range of power and speed. There are a lot of tuning options in there, so recommend getting the CastleLink to tweak them to your liking. I run with a BluLink in mine, I can change settings through my phone and not have to take anything apart.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier JatoTheRipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin View Post
    DeWalt 12v drill motor and a power wheels speed controller
    No. That's not the best option for any crawler.


    If you want brushless the Castle Mamba X ESC is very hard to beat. It is said to be waterproof, but mine did kill the switch the first time it saw water.

    For motors the Castle options are fine, but so are Holmes Hobbies, Team Brood, and Tekin.

    kv depends on your intended use. Do you intend to mostly crawl or will it be a trail truck?

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    No. That's not the best option for any crawler.


    If you want brushless the Castle Mamba X ESC is very hard to beat. It is said to be waterproof, but mine did kill the switch the first time it saw water.

    For motors the Castle options are fine, but so are Holmes Hobbies, Team Brood, and Tekin.

    kv depends on your intended use. Do you intend to mostly crawl or will it be a trail truck?
    Okej!

    I use it for hard crawling and need it to perform flawless in that area. But i do use it between diffrent locations as for transportation and such so if i can get both crawling and some speed that would be a plus, but not nessesary

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    North kingstown ri
    Posts
    166
    Best combo https://youtu.be/AtjOcGdc85A

    Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier Trentbaby65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin View Post
    Best combo https://youtu.be/AtjOcGdc85A

    Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    Will it fit in the kids Rustler?

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    North kingstown ri
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    Will it fit in the kids Rustler?
    Not with out a trailer

    Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier JatoTheRipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by mjaadtm View Post
    Okej!

    I use it for hard crawling and need it to perform flawless in that area. But i do use it between diffrent locations as for transportation and such so if i can get both crawling and some speed that would be a plus, but not nessesary
    The 2280kv motor is said to be great for all around driving and it is close to the speed of the stock truck with a 21T brushed motor.
    Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 08-27-2018 at 02:46 PM.

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    83
    I have four TRX4s. Number 1 is equipped with a Mamba X and 2280 Slate motor. It is about the same speed as stock but smoother. The other three rigs are all running HW1080 ESCs which are waterproof along with the stock Traxxas 21T motor. This combo works surprisingly well. The HW1080 is around $40 and the Traxxas motors list for $24 so they are not a huge money hit when they die. Holmes Hobbies also sells a $19.99 brushed motor that is equal performance but a little better quality than the stock motor.
    It's a rock, get over it!

  15. #15
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    24
    I recently installed a Tekin RX4 and the Tekin 1800kv Roc 412 HD. I had to go up 2 teeth in size on the pinion, but it's still perfect for crawling and noticeably faster (maybe 4 mph lol) in high gear. Tons more torque though. I run the Tekin RX8 Gen 3 and the T8 gen 3 motors in my other cars and love their stuff.

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Oshawa, Canada
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
    Number 1 is equipped with a Mamba X and 2280 Slate motor. It is about the same speed as stock but smoother. The other three rigs are all running HW1080 ESCs which are waterproof along with the stock Traxxas 21T motor.
    I've been considering the Mamba-X, but question whether it's worth it vs. the 1080 + a good quality brushed motor.

    The price difference between the two options is huge (can almost buy another truck for the cost of the Mamba-X + sensored motor!).

    What advantages/disadvantages have you noticed between the two?

  17. #17
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    13
    Update:

    I bought the mamba slate kombo with 2280kv motor for my truck.

    I'm extremly happy with it and wished i have done this the first mod i made.

    The car now does it all (Y)


    Thanks for the help guys




  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    I've been considering the Mamba-X, but question whether it's worth it vs. the 1080 + a good quality brushed motor.

    The price difference between the two options is huge (can almost buy another truck for the cost of the Mamba-X + sensored motor!).

    What advantages/disadvantages have you noticed between the two?
    Depends on how extreme you want to get. You'd likely be happy with the HW ESC, but once you get your hands on a Mamba X system, you really see why we use it. Tuning options and the ability to change modes on the fly are schweet, but you add the smoothness and power of a good brushless sensored system and it will make you cry to go back to a brushed ESC/motor combo.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Oshawa, Canada
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Depends on how extreme you want to get. You'd likely be happy with the HW ESC, but once you get your hands on a Mamba X system, you really see why we use it. Tuning options and the ability to change modes on the fly are schweet, but you add the smoothness and power of a good brushless sensored system and it will make you cry to go back to a brushed ESC/motor combo.
    Well, that didn't take long! I got the 2850kv mamba x combo. 2nd gear gets me faster-than-stock speeds, and 1st gear can crawl nice and slooow! No change in gearing.

    The truck is so quiet now! And battery efficiency (at least on my first, multi-hour run) seems a lot better!

    I guess I'll need to save up for more of these to put in my other trucks

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    124
    It gets even better if you go play with making a throttle curve in Castle Link!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Oshawa, Canada
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzleluvr100 View Post
    It gets even better if you go play with making a throttle curve in Castle Link!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    How do you have yours setup? My curve starts at about 50% throttle (and "two squares" up on the grid), but I may adjust it.

    Using the bluetooth link, it's so easy to change settings, but I wish it was available for Android already.

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    124
    Yeah I have it like 40% pull is 20%, and then 75% pull is 50%, so the last bit is pretty major lol

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin View Post
    Not with out a trailer

    Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    How is nobody laughing at everything this guy has said.
    Made my night.

  24. #24
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    20
    for playing with water, you need to concern not only the electronics but also the mechanical parts. bearings are not 100% water proof. if you immerse the rig into water for long time, the transmission system would get wet. the cleanup process is time consuming.

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,626
    Quote Originally Posted by nde63h View Post
    for playing with water, you need to concern not only the electronics but also the mechanical parts. bearings are not 100% water proof. if you immerse the rig into water for long time, the transmission system would get wet. the cleanup process is time consuming.
    This is a good reinforcement of the fact that these truck are waterproof, but not maintenance-proof. I make my trucks as submersible as I can, but I avoid going into deeper water so that I do not have to do maintenance as often as running through water demands.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  26. #26
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    This is a good reinforcement of the fact that these truck are waterproof, but not maintenance-proof. I make my trucks as submersible as I can, but I avoid going into deeper water so that I do not have to do maintenance as often as running through water demands.
    for the mechanical parts I spotted a weak point where water is very easy to get inside: the openings at the front caster hubs.

    there is no bearing at that openings. the shafts come out from diff gear and connect to the portal parts. nothing is preventing water (or dirt, sand, etc) from getting into the axle housing through the space between the shafts and the openings of the caster hubs.

  27. #27
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by nde63h View Post
    for the mechanical parts I spotted a weak point where water is very easy to get inside: the openings at the front caster hubs.

    there is no bearing at that openings. the shafts come out from diff gear and connect to the portal parts. nothing is preventing water (or dirt, sand, etc) from getting into the axle housing through the space between the shafts and the openings of the caster hubs.
    I think you are correct in that assessment as my front diff always has more water contamination than my rear diff.
    I wonder if aftermarket could create a kind of cv "boot" to keep all the gunk out of those holes where the shafts go.

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    936
    You can combat water some by using some dry lube or even silicone lube. The dry lube doesn’t let dirt attach to the vehicle, and helps disperse water as well. You might also get some dielectric grease for the ESC connections. And with proper maintenance you should be okay running in wet conditions.

  29. #29
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    50
    Any of the escs recommended here with enough power to support a high torque servo in the 30-35kg range?

  30. #30
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
    Any of the escs recommended here with enough power to support a high torque servo in the 30-35kg range?
    WOW, 30 kg is > 1000oz!!!
    Do you have a link to what you have in mind?

    Normally I would say the Mamba X, it has an eight amp BEC, but you might be testing it with a servo that powerful. You might want to consider a Castle 20A external BEC.

    Generally, for trail running you want a servo that is > 200oz, and crawling > 300oz. To steer with good authority on the rocks you want a 400-600oz servo. All of these servos can be ran all day long with a Mamba X; the HW 1080 has three amp BEC, 300oz is about as hard as I would push it. Just a guess here, but at 1000oz, you are likely going to start ripping parts off of your steering if you get it bound up.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Norway
    Posts
    870
    Actually, 30-35kgcm is 415-490ozf-in. Quite powerful, but still not deserving three exclamation marks...

  32. #32
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
    Any of the escs recommended here with enough power to support a high torque servo in the 30-35kg range?
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Actually, 30-35kgcm is 415-490ozf-in. Quite powerful, but still not deserving three exclamation marks...
    Burba said "30-35kg", which is > 1000oz, not "30-35kgcm", which is ~ 450oz...

    Which is why I asked for a link.

    Going back to Burga's question, the Mamba X will power a 30-35kgcm servo with ease. A HW1080 will do it if you are not binding the steering up on rocks, in that case you'll want an external BEC.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Norway
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Burba said "30-35kg", which is > 1000oz, not "30-35kgcm", which is ~ 450oz...
    Not trying to split hairs and pick a fight here - I have the highest respect for your knowledge, Greatscott.
    But Gurba was asking for high torque, not high mass... With my comment, I was just trying to put a smile on a few faces.

    Anyhow, I run the Power HD B3 (27kgcm / 375oz-in @ 6V and 30kgcm / 416oz-in @ 7.4V) and the HW1080 powers it with ease, also in tricky situations. But off course, the Mamba X is the king when it comes to BEC power.

  34. #34
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Not trying to split hairs and pick a fight here - I have the highest respect for your knowledge, Greatscott.
    But Gurba was asking for high torque, not high mass... With my comment, I was just trying to put a smile on a few faces.

    Anyhow, I run the Power HD B3 (27kgcm / 375oz-in @ 6V and 30kgcm / 416oz-in @ 7.4V) and the HW1080 powers it with ease, also in tricky situations. But off course, the Mamba X is the king when it comes to BEC power.
    No worries brother, I am just being argumentative… Happens when I don't get enough sleep.

    As much as I like the metric system and try to embrace it whenever I can (much to the annoyance of the mechanics at work), there are parts of the system that confound me. Just when I think I have it pegged, someone like you comes along and slaps me off of my stool, which is needed from time to time.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  35. #35
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Norway
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    No worries brother, I am just being argumentative… Happens when I don't get enough sleep.

    As much as I like the metric system and try to embrace it whenever I can (much to the annoyance of the mechanics at work), there are parts of the system that confound me. Just when I think I have it pegged, someone like you comes along and slaps me off of my stool, which is needed from time to time.
    Completely off topic (sorry OP!), but I just had to...
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ars-180964147/

  36. #36
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    50
    Thanks for the HELPFUL answers. I have a Thunder Tiger ST4 G3 with a Savöx SW-1210SG and Castle 10A bec at 7.2v. Works great.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •