RC poster

Traction roll on pavement?

I apologize if this has been asked before. How well does the UDR turn on pavement? I'm considering buying one, but will be running on pavement at least half the time, so I want a vehicle that will turn or slide without rolling at higher speeds and under throttle.

If the UDR does traction roll, are there any mods that can be easily done to prevent this condition?

Thanks in advance!

RC Racer
    Itís not really made for pavement and on dirt you need to stay on the gas so it doesnít traction roll. Iv never driven it on pavement but Iíd imagine it will roll pretty easy. Donít take it the wrong way but why are you buying a $800 trophy truck to drive on the pavement? I understand people can do whatever they want with it but itís an off road truck, you will be missing out if you donít drive it in the conditions it was made for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I have driven mine on pavement. If your careful you can get away without rolling it. Obviously itís not going to carve corners. It will slide but if it catches an edge or gets too much grip right on its roof it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I drive mine on pavement a lot when Im too lazy to drive to a good bashing spot. It will traction roll on pavement, grass and dirt. Its not like a rustler or an xmaxx where you just slam the gas and go. There is a learning curve for the truck. If you and high speed tight turning I would say this is NOT that truck. If you take the time to learn to drive this truck I know youll enjoy it like everyone else on these forums has. And slash2018 is right, you really should try and take it off road. If youre buying the truck for the scale suspension and details its amazing to watch that all in action. The videos dont do the truck justice.
    I'm the reason why we can't have nice things!

RC poster
    Thanks for the responses guys.

The scale realism is the reason I'm interested in the UDR, as Teae referenced. I had R/C cars and trucks when I was younger, but this will be the first one I've owned in over 15 years. This time around though, I'm not budget constrained, so I figured why not treat myself to something really cool, hence the UDR.

I am limited on storage space however, and only want to have one R/C car or truck. My preference is a high speed scale off-roader/SCT, but I want to be able to enjoy it even on days when I don't have time in my schedule to drive to a dedicated bashing spot (this is where the pavement usage comes in). I know something like a Rustler would check both pavement and off-road boxes, but if I'm only buying one, I want it to be the coolest thing I can get my hands on. The UDR is still at the top of my list even knowing that it will traction roll, I just wanted to know what to expect before I plop down $800 on a toy.

Thanks again, and feel free to share any additional ideas or information you guys think might be useful to me!

RC Competitor
    I drive mine mostly on concrete/asphalt and I can say with some certainty that on those surfaces it likes to be driven to scale. That is, not bashed or jumped fifteen feet. Converting to an open rear diff REALLY helps reduce traction roll, but if pushed to hard, it will flip. And if you REALLY push it, stuff breaks.... probably like a 1:1. If you just want to bash, I'd say buy a Slash or equivalent. Maybe an X-Maxx. But if you're like me and like the whole scale suspension/driving experience thing, buy this! The UDR fits that MO perfectly. I'm having a blast with this thing and I've yet to touch dirt.
    Last edited by TraxxasTyro; 08-15-2018 at 09:15 PM.

RC Competitor

open diff

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTyro View Post
    I drive mine mostly on concrete/asphalt and I can say with some certainty that on those surfaces it likes to be driven to scale. That is, not bashed or jumped fifteen feet. Converting to an open rear diff REALLY helps reduce traction roll, but if pushed to hard, it will flip. And if you REALLY push it, stuff breaks.... probably like a 1:1. If you just want to bash, I'd say buy a Slash or equivalent. Maybe an X-Maxx. But if you're like me and like the whole scale suspension/driving experience thing, buy this! The UDR fits that MO perfectly. I'm having a blast with this thing and I've yet to touch dirt.
    I agree...go with an open diff and maybe a 3 cell battery.....mine rolls over less with the open diff.

I was drifted my UDR only a few times on the street and wow, the rear tires went half bald before I knew it. But it drifts..

UDR Drift
    Xmaxx, Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16

RC Racer
    What are the part numbers to convert to an open diff?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by xOperator View Post
    What are the part numbers to convert to an open diff?
    8577 gears
    8581 plastic 8581X aluminum diff cup
    8584 shafts
    fabricator

RC Racer
    Its all about suspension set up in the front. Read up on camber set up. Then spring rates if you make it a touch softer in the rear it will slide better

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    8577 gears
    8584 shafts
    thanks gonna try it out

RC Enthusiast
    LOL that drift video is great!!! did the tires really wear down from that?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcor View Post
    LOL that drift video is great!!! did the tires really wear down from that?
    I did that drift like twice. It left black marks as well. Plus I noticed the inside edge of the rear tires, wore a big lip were it didnt wear at all. So it made a mess of them quick.
    Xmaxx, Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16

RC Competitor
    Read up on camber set up.
    Yeah. Kinda' wish the truck had more adjustment up front, especially camber. Can't find any aftermarket parts to allow it and I'm not good enough to mock something up.

RC Racer
    8577 gears
    8584 shafts
    What weight diff oil are you using? Factory 1000?

RC Qualifier
    1 million diff oil front and rear
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    What weight diff oil are you using? Factory 1000?
    50K rear for me. Minimizes traction roll on pavement, but may be too light for dirt.

RC Competitor
    I went 200k......in all 3.....f/c/r.....didn't have 1million in stock.....will see what's better after a few runs....

RC poster
    Check out my review at my website projectlink.me there are videos up there as well!

Quote Originally Posted by RZT5 View Post
    I apologize if this has been asked before. How well does the UDR turn on pavement? I'm considering buying one, but will be running on pavement at least half the time, so I want a vehicle that will turn or slide without rolling at higher speeds and under throttle.

If the UDR does traction roll, are there any mods that can be easily done to prevent this condition?

Thanks in advance!

RC Enthusiast
    Why not put on harder low traction tires?

RC Qualifier
    tire selection issues
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    tire selection issues
    We have a choice in tires?....lol

RC Enthusiast
    You can put standard 17mm hex wheels on these vehicles right? I don't have one, I have a Slash 1/16 but from my research the UDR has fancy hexes that can take fancy wheels or regular hex wheels

RC poster
    I got mine for a class project, I am not new to RC by any means, but my first test run of the truck (which was on 6s) I rolled it multiple times from a tad too much throttle under hard steering. It doesn't take much to tip it over with that suspension.