RC Racer

Somebody had to do it....functional UDR cooling fans

I couldnt resist. Now, to make them at least semi-useful, I am making a small duct to channel the incoming air down towards the ESC's fan air intake. I am printing them on a Prusa I3 Mk3 printer in PETg plastic. I think the duct will be silver PLA plastic.

Last edited by ben1272; 08-18-2018 at 11:07 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I don't own a udr yet. But I like where you are going with this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Duct to a hole above motor
    fabricator

RC Racer
    I have this so far. I like the idea of ducting to hole above more.....need to look at that.

RC Competitor
    Nicely done!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome job! I think setting those up to blow air into the motor compartment would be a great idea. I mounted a fan on the chassis blowing air in and it made a big difference in motor temps.

RC Racer
    I 3d printed the first version, fit it to the truck and marked with a silver sharpie where I could extend the ducting rearward to meet up with the fan box.

RC Competitor
    Duct to a hole above motor
    This! It's the motor that gets hot.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Racer
    Thanks!

I started a duct to direct the air down towards the open end of the motor compartment....I'd rather not cut holes in the UDR just yet, but it may come to that. If I come up with something I like, I will do before and after temp measurements to see how much (if any) the extra moving air is helping. I am planning to try and make some scale-ish SCAT tubing to duct the air from the fan box down to this location. The 3d printer will print flexible polyurethane and I am thinking I can make a spiral tube. We'll see.

Right now I am trying to decide the best way to power these fans. They are nominally 5 volt units, in parallel. They would probably run fine on 6 volts. Or, I was thinking I could get a small DC-DC converter and tie them directly to the packs with a switch inline.

You all have any ideas?
    Last edited by ben1272; 08-20-2018 at 08:02 AM.

RC Qualifier
    If concerned about running them off the receiver, you can power with a Castle BEC set to 5v.

RC Enthusiast
    What kind of printer you have and how much they run? Man with a good printer, can do all kinds of neat stuff for the rc stuff.
    Thanks
    J

RC Racer
    It is a Prusa I3 mk3 and it costs $749 as a kit. www.prusa3d.com

It certainly does make it easy to make some parts, but unfortunately I dont think the parts it can print are strong enough for critical load bearing components like suspensions, frames, etc. Probably mostly cosmetic parts, but it is still fun and pretty cool.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    It is a Prusa I3 mk3 and it costs $749 as a kit. www.prusa3d.com

It certainly does make it easy to make some parts, but unfortunately I dont think the parts it can print are strong enough for critical load bearing components like suspensions, frames, etc. Probably mostly cosmetic parts, but it is still fun and pretty cool.
    I was thinking about buying a prusa . Looks lovely like they do make a decent printer with a nice finish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    The quality of the printer is as good as any 3d printer I have used, including commercial systems. The quality of the prints is very good as well and there is a large user base.

RC poster
    @ben1272
    where did u get those fans and would u share your 3d model
    i wanna do something close

RC Competitor
    interested