RC poster

possible to open the diff on the sport?

Hey guys,

I'm new here and already have a question.
    I really like thge look of the TRX-4 Sport. But one thing annoys me: the locked diffs.
    In my mind, when I hear "sport vehicle" I don't think of locked diffs which even enlarges the turning radius, but yeah, whatever

since I am looking for a "cool" looking truck to pull my trailers (one for my TRX-4 Defender and the other one for my Traxxas M41) I really want to take the Sport for this... but with the locked diffs, I think it could be really hard to maneuver it, espacially when driving backwards to get my M41 in/out the water.

Now... has anybody opend the diffs of a Sport? How are they locked? Is is possible to unlock them permanently?

and just for the clicks, here's a picture of my defender:

and I apologize in advanced, because english is not my first language

RC Enthusiast
    You could always swap in the diffs from a regular TRX.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    ok, would this work?
    because I would be missing the "lock/unlock - pins" from the regular TRX, which are usually connected to the small servos?!
    I didn't really check, how this un-/locking mechanism works.
    So if I would put in the regular diff-gears they are open at first and will not, somehow, get locked by themselves over time because of all the moving and shaking parts?
    sorry for those (maybe stupid) mechanic questions ^^

RC poster
    I would start by giving the sport a test run to see if your concerns are warranted
    But the diff housing is the same and all the old style unlocking stuff will fit in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RC poster
    yeah... I mean, I think I will buy it anyway
    but maybe I'll wait for the clear body and some accessoires to be available

I just looked at the exploded view of the Defender diff and the Sport diff
    there aren't that many parts that you need to change and if I could somehow fix the "carrier differential" (PN 8281) so it cannot move, I think it would be fine
    because in the Sport there is not really a thing that could be unlocked - it's just a straight spool... oh boy

this is the worst thing, you start tuning/upgrading your car, even before you have bought it

The open diff will drop in, you just will not have the cable going through to lock and unlock it.

With a truck like this you will be wanting locked diffs more than you will want them unlocked. The turning radius is about 1/3 wider with the diffs locked, but really you will likely not notice. But, it is a very easy swap, throw the diff gears in and see how you like it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    If you're really interested in doing it, I may consider letting my open diff go after I go to a solid rear.
    I don't see going back to selectable locker for the rear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    yeah, a locked rear diff isn't that bad
    but at least I need an open front diff

I will see
    because I also want to paint the bod, I need to wait anyway for the clear body shell to be released

RC poster

It's a very nice heavy boat hauler

as you might see i don't made it look scale. I just wanted to bring both my car and boat when i walk down to the lake i couldnt bother carrieing both of them. It works well and i pull the boat on grass 400 meter with ease

RC poster
    that looks nice
    I am more of a scale-type of guy, so I really wanna make the Sport look realistic - and my boat trailer is not even build yet (lack of time) but I want that, too, to be scale
    and that's why I want to, at least, open the front diff

but scale-look or not, doesn't make any difference in performance