RC Racer

Question Small batteries ??

Looking for the best LiPo options for running/storing a battery in the Front tray area on my bronco. Anyone have experience running a small one? Cell size mha, run time, etc.
    This isnt meant to debate the difference between running a full size pack vs a small front pack. Id like to focus on what kinds of performance to expect.

Please share your results
    Battery stats, run time, driving style, and any addons you have that might affect the fairness of the comparison.

RC Racer
    I've seen that you can fit up to about 2500-3000 mAh depending on whether it's 2s or 3s.
    I'm a big user of eBay brands, but whatever floats your boat brand wise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Does the mha rating define a size of the overall package?

RC Enthusiast
    K
    Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    yes that is the main factor. And at equivalent mAh ratings a 3s is bigger than a 2s...

RC Enthusiast
    I'm about to order the Protek 3S HV Lipo. It's a 3600mah shorty. I plan on using it as a backup to my main 3S 5000mah so it should do just fine powering the truck. Cool thing is you can just carry it around right on the truck! Heard nothing but good things about it too.

RC Racer
    Promising find.!
    I looked that one up and it shows as 43x93x24mm which is pretty close fit. I'll look forward to your review. Please include a pic of the install.

For the most part. That's the size of your gas tank.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    I should have the Protek 3S shorty on Saturday so I'll give you an idea of run time when I can. Ima just run both batteries on the truck for now and when the shorty comes in I'll start with that one.

A heads up on the Protek, it comes with a deans T connector so if you're running the Traxxas connector you'll need an adaptor.

This Protek LiPo might fit. I haven't seen the best experiences with Protek, but here it is if you want to take the chance. It's also overpriced IMO.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...116-17/p662759

RC poster
    I use the Traxxas 3 cell 1400MAH Lipo and have been very happy with the results. Depending upon usage, I see between 20-25 minutes of runtime and still have enough power to to lift the front end off the ground in high gear on asphalt from a stop. The battery is small enough to fit in the inner battery tray of my Defender reducing weight and lowering the center of gravity dramatically. Nice to have the option of a 3 cell 5000MAH battery when I want the extra run time and a lightweight option for improved center of gravity.

RC Racer
    NorCal, does that one fit in the front tray?

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    For the most part. That's the size of your gas tank.
    I get that from a capacity standpoint, but as a physical size, i havent seen a chart or been able to find much supportive debate correlating that standard.

RC Enthusiast
    So I got the Protek 3S 3600mah shorty in today and took the truck out with both batteries on board. On a fairly heavy truck, also powering 6x6V LED's runtime was nearly an hour and a half. That included quite a lot of wide open pulls and a little bit of everything. Battery fits perfect in the front compartment.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that's with a HW 1080 ESC with the LVD set at High cutoff. Final voltage was 10.2 with about 3.4V per cell. I'm not sure what the cutoff is on the the stock Traxxas ESC.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed considering it's about half the size of my 5000mah battery. Speed test was the same at 13mph. I think it's so cool having both batteries on the truck. It does make it a little nose heavy and keeps the front wheels on the ground a lot more. Doesn't want to wheelie like it did before but that's probably a good thing.

Last edited by TMoney128; 08-25-2018 at 09:15 PM.

RC poster

I haven't tried it in a Bronco but it easily fits in the inner well of the main battery tray so I think it would almost certainly fit. Dimensions are 89x21X30 mm so you can measure.

I get that from a capacity standpoint, but as a physical size, i havent seen a chart or been able to find much supportive debate correlating that standard.
    I can't emphasize enough that lowering the battery weight from 12.3 oz (5000 mAh 3 cell lips) to 4.2 oz and lowering it in the chassis makes a huge difference in center of gravity. Nice back up to a standard battery when you want to experiment with the handling dynamics and don't mind shorter runtimes.

RC Racer
    Tmoney, your truck looks brand new! You must mostly run the rocks, nice body work too! Ive been running on the beach and michigan woods and it shows.

Thanks for the link Mayme, not too many (8) options listed there, and though it has a "sort by position" option, i didnt see any specific tags or confirmation that the smaller ones fit the front tray.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, that's because it is almost new so I would hope so!

The protek fits in the front tray perfectly with nearly no room to spare so I would say those dimensions (93mm long by 43mm wide) is about the limit. That's 3.66" long. Anything much bigger than that I'd say won't fit.

Simple answer: yes. Comparing 2s to 2s or 3s to 3s with different capacities reveals there is a size difference. https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...id?t=batteries
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    This Protek LiPo might fit. I haven't seen the best experiences with Protek, but here it is if you want to take the chance. It's also overpriced IMO.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...116-17/p662759
    If it wasnt for the $$$ this battery has rverything im lookin for.
    The search continues...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dviad View Post

Small batteries...? Hmm, 5000mah 2s 50c maybe high capacity for you. Lol...
    Interesting layout you have there, not quite anywhere near stock TRX4. Is that the position you run that 5000 in, across, behind the front axle?

RC Racer
    That is in a Redcat Gen 7.
    Interesting layout you have there, not quite anywhere near stock TRX4. Is that the position you run that 5000 in, across, behind the front axle?
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I run the 2200mah 2S and the 1400mah 3S Traxxas batteries up front with a Velcro strap. I think I paid $35 shipped for the 3S and $28 for the 2S pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Enthusiast
    The price of the Protek shorty really isn't bad when you think about it. You can either buy 2 Traxxas 3s 1400ma shorties for about $80 or get 1 3x the capacity for $60. That's what you're paying for here it's the amp hour rating so of you're looking for a longer runtime I think it's a good deal. Just saying.

RC Racer
    Fair point. Usually get what you pay for.
    I guess im selfishly biased to a $30 budget for a backup battery. If it was a primary use batt, or for a 3 hr trail walk, i could see the benefit.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TMoney128 View Post
    The price of the Protek shorty really isn't bad when you think about it. You can either buy 2 Traxxas 3s 1400ma shorties for about $80 or get 1 3x the capacity for $60. That's what you're paying for here it's the amp hour rating so of you're looking for a longer runtime I think it's a good deal. Just saying.
    Oh I get you. I own a couple ProTek 6500 4S batteries. Iíve never had a problem with them or a single Traxxas battery. I normally run a 7200 mah battery in the main tray and the 2200 is a reserve.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TX X-Maxx View Post
    Oh I get you. I own a couple ProTek 6500 4S batteries. I’ve never had a problem with them or a single Traxxas battery. I normally run a 7200 mah battery in the main tray and the 2200 is a reserve.

Which 2200??

RC Enthusiast
    Which 2200??

This one for the 1/16 size vehicles

If it wasnt for the $$$ this battery has rverything im lookin for.
    The search continues...
    Keep saving your money. An owner of these batteries is reporting puffing on another forum. I'm not surprised by this because I've seen plenty of puffed ProTek batteries at the race track. Keep avoiding ProTek!

RC Racer
    In all honesty, every battery ive ever looked at has at least a few 1star puffing/overheating reviews. Even the Traxxas ID batts. I posted on my Bronco thread some pics and brief first thoughts about my new 1500mah 3S trial.

So i had been bookmarking misc small batt packs for a while, and my loving wife and kids decided to order me one (set) that i had been eyeing. Floureon 2 Packs 3S 11.1V 1500mAh 35C... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SGYXD4M...*yo_pop_ma_swf
    They came with some pretty nice little battery monitor/alarms good for 1S-8S. They will readout individual cell voltage, and total v. Also you can set the alarm for low voltage in case your esc doesnt have low v protection. $25 cant go wrong

New cheapo 3s mini batteries by J F, on Flickr

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TMoney128 View Post
    I'm about to order the Protek 3S HV Lipo. It's a 3600mah shorty. I plan on using it as a backup to my main 3S 5000mah so it should do just fine powering the truck. Cool thing is you can just carry it around right on the truck! Heard nothing but good things about it too.
    I just picked up a pair of the HV Protek 3s batteries when I ordered a bunch of other stuff. Awesome batteries. I grabbed a pair of the 4s 6500mah lihv for me new Tekno truggy too. Best batteries I've ever used...

RC Enthusiast
    Keep saving your money. An owner of these batteries is reporting puffing on another forum. I'm not surprised by this because I've seen plenty of puffed ProTek batteries at the race track. Keep avoiding ProTek!
    Every one of the small traxxas 3s batts I've had has gone bad after a short period of time. And I've never had a single issue with protek batts.

Quote Originally Posted by supradude26 View Post
    Every one of the small traxxas 3s batts I've had has gone bad after a short period of time. And I've never had a single issue with protek batts.
    Well good for you, but I think you are in the minority. There are people on RC Crawler that have these small Protek LiPos and they are already puffing. And they are guys that have been at RC for a while so it's not like the batteries have been mistreated by newbies.

RC Enthusiast
    Well good for you, but I think you are in the minority. There are people on RC Crawler that have these small Protek LiPos and they are already puffing. And they are guys that have been at RC for a while so it's not like the batteries have been mistreated by newbies.
    Just stating my experience with them. Not trying to offend anyone. But having all 4 of one partical battery go bad with at most 10 cycles on them is not very good odds. I know that someone will have a bad experience with every single lipo made, I just use what I have good experiences with. The traxxas 1400 3s happens to be last on my list

Quote Originally Posted by supradude26 View Post
    Just stating my experience with them. Not trying to offend anyone. But having all 4 of one partical battery go bad with at most 10 cycles on them is not very good odds. I know that someone will have a bad experience with every single lipo made, I just use what I have good experiences with. The traxxas 1400 3s happens to be last on my list
    No offense meant or taken!