RC Racer

Pre-mature LVD for LiPo...?

This issue has been bugging me for a while now. I currently run a Traxxas Slash 2WD VXL with 35/76 gearing (for top speed runs only). I recently got a 5500 mAH 35C 3S LiPo battery because my old one (4500 mAH 20C 3S) kept bringing the ESC into LVD early. I went for a couple speed runs (hit 64 mph) until after 5 minutes of use, the ESC entered LVD mode. I checked the voltages of the battery cells, which were 3.76V each.

Question: Can I turn off LVD on my ESC to run LiPos down farther as long as I constantly monitor the battery voltages, or is that not safe?

If it's not safe to do so, then is there any other ESC you would reccomend that would work with my Velineon Brushless motor?

Thank you!

RC Qualifier
    Yes you can, by placing it into NIMH mode or turning the LVD off which the ESC will then show a res light instead of green. But I wouldn’t do this without a battery monitor and/or a cell checker and LVC alarm. You can get the latter on the auction site for fairly cheap, like $5-$10. I wouldn’t run my lipos without some form of being able to closely monitor batt voltage and individual cells are well. Hope this helps and good day.

RC Racer
    Thank you for your reply! I have a voltage checker that plugs onto the 4-pin connector on the battery (used to charge the battery) that can be used while running. I can set it to buzz an alarm if the voltage gets too low. What is the lowest I should discharge my lipo to before having to charge it up again?

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn’t go anything below 3.5v per cell. This way you don’t risk damaging battery by running it too low.

Quote Originally Posted by jainm View Post
    This issue has been bugging me for a while now. I currently run a Traxxas Slash 2WD VXL with 35/76 gearing (for top speed runs only). I recently got a 5500 mAH 35C 3S LiPo battery because my old one (4500 mAH 20C 3S) kept bringing the ESC into LVD early. I went for a couple speed runs (hit 64 mph) until after 5 minutes of use, the ESC entered LVD mode. I checked the voltages of the battery cells, which were 3.76V each.

Question: Can I turn off LVD on my ESC to run LiPos down farther as long as I constantly monitor the battery voltages, or is that not safe?

If it's not safe to do so, then is there any other ESC you would reccomend that would work with my Velineon Brushless motor?

Thank you!
    Keep in mind that the 3.76VDC you saw is a resting voltage, and not the voltage the ESC sees when the battery is under load.

Before you turn LVD off, recommend running a lipo alarm set at 3.5VDC. This will verify that the ESC is reading the voltage correctly. If you still want to run with LVC off, continue to run lipo alarm set at a lower voltage. I would not go any lower than 3.2VDC, but even that I would consider risky.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired