Thread: drive shafts

RC Competitor

drive shafts

my stock rear drive shafts have finally gone. mip x duty are out of my budget

as an upgrade FTTX262 Traxxas Steel Rear Driveshafts seem like a good buy. any thoughts on these drive shafts?

RC Qualifier
    Iíve heard they bend. For the price difference may want to look at the MIPís or even teckno.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    I’ve heard they bend. For the price difference may want to look at the MIP’s or even teckno.
    mip are just too expensive for me. as I'm in the UK I am also limited to what is available.

traxxas steel as above traxxas plastic stock or fastrax steel. all 3 are about the same price here

RC Racer
    I have no complaints with any of the Traxxas steel drive shafts. I broke a stub when I hit a curb but it was an easy swap and my actual drive shaft was not affected at all.

RC Qualifier
    I haven't had any issues with the Traxxas steel drive shafts on my truck in the last 5 years. And since Christmas, it's been a monster truck with big jconcepts 2.6 sized wheels and tires still with no issues

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Get the mip. I originally held off getting them because of their expense. But if you factor in how many other shafts you break, the mips would have paid for themselves.

Buy once, cry once

You have to pay to play

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    Get the mip. I originally held off getting them because of their expense. But if you factor in how many other shafts you break, the mips would have paid for themselves.

Buy once, cry once

You have to pay to play
    my original stock plastic driveshafts are over 4 years old. I run on 2s only. it will take a very long time for the mips to pay for themselves.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    look at how many people here run the x duty driveshafts and how many overall failures there have been...... look at all the others... I was on 2s for a logn time, still blew through 5 sets of stock shafts, but to each his own..... once I got the x duty, no more issues, ever, on 2s, and now that I have gone to a 1/8th scale motor, and 4s, still no issues.... my slash can weigh up to 9 pounds depending on which tires I run that day.....

I always wonder why people ask for advice, and then jsut say, oh well, I don't like anyone else's opnion..

Quote Originally Posted by philbr View Post
    mip are just too expensive for me. as I'm in the UK I am also limited to what is available.

traxxas steel as above traxxas plastic stock or fastrax steel. all 3 are about the same price here

I don't have any experience with fastrax so I really can't give any opinions on them, tho if that's whats available and in your budget I would think (just my thought's as you asked) the steal would be best.
    Then again if your driving proclivity's gave you four years of service from stock axles and there much cheaper then the steal it might not even be a bad way to go.
    Just one man's opinion for what's available and within your budget.

I know what your saying with the stock axles on 2s; my wife's pede has the original stock axles after four years.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 08-26-2018 at 07:06 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    look at how many people here run the x duty driveshafts and how many overall failures there have been...... look at all the others... I was on 2s for a logn time, still blew through 5 sets of stock shafts, but to each his own..... once I got the x duty, no more issues, ever, on 2s, and now that I have gone to a 1/8th scale motor, and 4s, still no issues.... my slash can weigh up to 9 pounds depending on which tires I run that day.....

I always wonder why people ask for advice, and then jsut say, oh well, I don't like anyone else's opnion..
    I hear what you are saying but also there are two replies on this tread stating they are pleased with the traxxas steel driveshafts and that it what I have gone for.

I am in the UK and no UK supplier currently has MIP driveshafts in stock. So if I was to get them I would need to order from the US and that means a delay in receiving them and also an added 50% to the price in shipping and taxes. I have recently spent quite a few bucks on repairs and upgrades so my budget is limited.

I know your advice is sound but in my current circumstances it is just suits me better to get the less expensive shafts to get me back up and running quickly and at a lower cost.

RC Competitor
    my slash can weigh up to 9 pounds depending on which tires I run that day.....
    that is interesting. I just weighed mine and it is currently at 5.5 pounds

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    my slash is slightly modified......

there are a few people that are ok with the not as good axles, and that's cool.... I know how I drive, and went with the best because of it..... I did a lot of research and saw way more threads about the x duty axles before I went with them. for what it is worth, my 4s battery weighs over 1 pound by itself

I'll try again...
    Last edited by MAC FAB; 08-26-2018 at 10:17 AM.

4 years worth of use, I would consider running plastic again. No issues with water. They wear out before something more expensive does. I am biased, they are the weak link in my stuff, I keep spares and they are quick and easy to change compared to digging into diffs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    my tires are the weak link in my setup at this point, I am grossly overpowered and overbuilt

Street rig??? I've also have an overpowered and built one, it eats E Revo axles in the dirt, but it is fun!!!

RC Competitor

You have to pay to play
    Yes I am getting close to the point where I am contemplating is it worth the money. Running an rc car is turning out to be more expensive than I imagined when I first started. I have literally run full size cars on the same money (not including fuel)

4yrs. Out of std. shafts would have me buying 3 or 4 sets and in theory your done. Cheap and readily available. Just a thought.

RC Competitor
    Never used those but have had good luck with Teknoís, and they are cheaper then mipís.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash dad View Post
    Never used those but have had good luck with Teknoís, and they are cheaper then mipís.
    I run Tekno on three of my rigs and imo there the best; light, very strong, adjustable bump steer shims and six rear settings gives them the most adjustability.
    I do run mips on my MT and have no complaints, they are a very strong axle.
    Tho I think (as I stated in my first post) if I got four years on a stock set I'd consider buying them again as well.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.