RC Racer

Fastest gearing for Traxxas Slash 2WD?

I'm running a Traxxas Slash 2WD VXL on 38/76 gearing (48p). Does anyone know any faster gearing combos (maybe even 32p) that could go faster than my current setup? Preferably 75+ mph?

Quote Originally Posted by jainm View Post
    I'm running a Traxxas Slash 2WD VXL on 38/76 gearing (48p). Does anyone know any faster gearing combos (maybe even 32p) that could go faster than my current setup? Preferably 75+ mph?
    That's some fairly tall gearing; what motor are you running?
    I run two 2wd's, one is 32p 23/56 (2.434/1) the other 21/47 (2.136/1), both of these truck have Castle 2400kv motors.
    I've read a lot of threads where guys are even going to mod 1 gears on and in the Transmission for strength.

If your running the stock 3500kv velineon 22/47 32p should get you close to 76 (theoretically) tho your going to have some temp issues to say the least.
    I used an STRC layshaft with team associated slipper for my 21/47 sand rig Transmission.
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

After some calculations the gearing your running should have you close to 80mpm; again theoretically.

http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/info...ar-calculator/
    Last edited by billy-bones; 08-28-2018 at 07:46 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Convert to mod 1 and you can get to 1:1 or beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    Convert to mod 1 and you can get to 1:1 or beyond.
    If he's running the stock motor I really don't think it would have the power to pull of that kind of gearing without over heating to rapidly.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    If he's running the stock motor I really don't think it would have the power to pull of that kind of gearing without over heating to rapidly.
    What value do I put in for Differential Pinion and Spur size?

22 60 = 2.72, stock trans is 2.72.
    I don't know if that is the exact gear count on the; layshaft and diff gear but the numbers come out the same.
    If anyone knows any different please chime in.
    22 = diff pinion.
    60 = diff spur.

After a little research those are the correct numbers.
    Also to idler is 30 teeth so 22 DP and 60 DS are the number to enter.

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 08-28-2018 at 03:25 PM.

RC Racer
    That doesn't look right... It says that with 35/76 gearing, the top speed will be 78 mph, although I have only gotten it to go to 68 mph with that setup...

That doesn't look right... It says that with 35/76 gearing, the top speed will be 78 mph, although I have only gotten it to go to 68 mph with that setup...
    After 50mph wind and other things have a big effect.
    I have a car that will theoretically hit almost 200mph but it's never going to happen, that little 3500kv is working awful hard to keep pushing thru the air.

RC Racer
    Another question: Can the stock VXL motor on my Slash handle a 4s lipo if I swap out the ESC?

Another question: Can the stock VXL motor on my Slash handle a 4s lipo if I swap out the ESC?
    Technically yes, people have been crazy enough to run them on 6s; just be sure if it lets go your not upset about it.
    I've run 6s thru my 2650kv's more then once and there only rated at 4s, again however if it was to get destroyed I'd have nobody to blame but myself.

The 3s rating is so the motor stays in one piece, they've come apart even at that voltage before, 4s will be more of a risk.

RC Racer
    What KV motor would you reccomend for speed runs on a 4S lipo? And if I put a heat sink on the motor while running 38/76 gearing with the 4s lipo, will it potentially encounter any heating issues?

What KV motor would you reccomend for speed runs on a 4S lipo? And if I put a heat sink on the motor while running 38/76 gearing with the 4s lipo, will it potentially encounter any heating issues?
    I'ts really a personal preference thing.
    I run Castle 2400kv motors in both my 2wd slash rigs on 3s most of the time and 4s on occasion.
    Some fellas go crazy and install big 1/8 2200kv and 2650kv motors and go with 6s.
    I'm not sure but I think a few year back I heard of the first 100+mph 2wd slash and it had the same 2400kv I run with a 6s power supply.
    Heres a video from 2013, things have changed a lot since this guy's run but it was the first one I heard of.
    https://youtu.be/d3TwupTxbbQ
    Last edited by billy-bones; 08-28-2018 at 07:50 PM.

RC Racer
    Thank you for your help! You've been really helpful

Thank you for your help! You've been really helpful
    No problem, I hope you get to your 100mph goal.

RC Racer
    One more question (Sorry!!!)

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...nt=27756665553

Is this a good ESC/Motor combo for 4s speed runs? Motor is 3200KV.

I don't have any experience with Hobbywing so I can't really give an opinion.
    I can however say I've never heard of anyone hitting 100mph with HW and certainly not a 1/10 motor seytem.
    The only thing I could recommend with experience is a Castle or Tekin system; in both I would recommend a kv in the area of 2050kv to 2650kv for your goal.
    There are other brands like TP power, Posiden and a couple others I've heard of people using but never HW.
    It might be advantageous for you to take a gander in the 4wd area, many fellas over there are well over 100mph and have much more to offer on going fast then I do.
    The only speed rig I've ever built has been turned into a Rally car now; I could change it back but where I live it's hard to find room for speed runs.
    I believe Gripdog has a lot of go fast experience with 2wd go fast's but he spends a lot of time on the 4wd forums as well.

RC Racer

You don really want to run at any electronics max operating specs its best to go a little bigger then what your asking it to do it will prolong the life and keep heat down

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    don't use hw esc as they have amp protection and shut down. get a mm2 esc and 2650 castle motor 30/34 should get you close on good lipo.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Racer
    I was looking at a Mamba Monster 2 and a 2650kv motor, but apparently the motor is too big to fit into a 2wd slash? How can I modify it to make it fit?

RC Champion
    I replied to other thread.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Racer
    Looks like I'm gonna need to spend quite a bit on this conversion. New ESC + Motor, aluminum tranny case, mod 1 gears, and more for spares in case of breakage.

What tires did you use for your speed runs?

Looks like I'm gonna need to spend quite a bit on this conversion. New ESC + Motor, aluminum tranny case, mod 1 gears, and more for spares in case of breakage.

What tires did you use for your speed runs?
    I guess you have to think of it as similar to a real car; building a 9 second car is easy, after that every 1/10 of a second can cost a lot of money.

RC Champion
    Very well said billy-bones! Yes it does take a lot to get from even 70mph. That 30mph is one tough cookie to chase!! Not easy and must be a pretty good driver as well. Hopefully he gets it sorted and modded to work.

RC Qualifier
    If one wheel breaks traction the differential will send 90% of the power to that wheel (doubeling its rpms) and likely the rubber tire will go up in shreds. (happens all the time on 2wd vehicles like the rustler/bandit/slash)
    Highly recommend getting a differential spool or look on youtube for a DIY method.

-Liberty