Thread: Best Upgrades?

RC Qualifier

Best Upgrades?

I've haven't touched my TRX-4 in awhile and would like to freshen it up a little. It has SSD beadlocks, proline closed cell foams, stock tires, front portal weights, 3S power, Stock Defender body, traxxas light kit, and stock everything else. Are there any good upgrades that I'm completely missing out on to make the TRX-4 better at crawling?

Any feedback is welcome,
    Thank you
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Enthusiast
    Only thing I would say, depending on how much use it's had, a new motor might wake it up.
    A Holmes Hobbies is about $20-30, but far superior to the stock motor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Swap that body out for a lightweight alternative and throw in a low CG battery tray = Much better crawling.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TMoney128 View Post
    Swap that body out for a lightweight alternative and throw in a low CG battery tray = Much better crawling.
    I'm currently looking at the TRX-4 sport body to replace the defender. I've heard of the LCG battery trays but haven't been able to find any. Do you have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzleluvr100 View Post
    Only thing I would say, depending on how much use it's had, a new motor might wake it up.
    A Holmes Hobbies is about $20-30, but far superior to the stock motor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Thank you. I will look into this motor. I've heard good things about Holmes Hobbies and am already on my 3rd motor (it was my fault both times as the first time I ran in beach sand and forgot to clean the truck and the second a ran in water in high gear).
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Enthusiast
    This is the only one I'm aware of. Made by Bowhouse and 3d printed.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/bowhous...-0010c/p753646

RC Qualifier
    This is the only one I'm aware of. Made by Bowhouse and 3d printed.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/bowhous...-0010c/p753646
    Awesome! Thank you. It's honestly cheaper than I expected so I'll look into purchasing one.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Racer
    If i were doing it all over again for bang for the buck...

New rubber
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline...90864?v=768351 With CI lil nova foams

Brass front diff cover
    https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hottrxf12ch01.htm

For better turning radius, especially with the brass cover
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-rac...f49m08/p733464

New servo, will need a bec
    https://www.promodeler.com/DS360DLHV

Old faithful
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...112750/p564169

And the bowhouse LCG tray above since the defender doesn’t have the front mount

Also a lighter shock oil and re-work the shock caps so there’s no sticktion and a full range of motion. These don’t always come set up too well from the factory and a poorly tuned suspension can really hinder the crawling experience.

HobbyWing 1080 ESC (in lieu of an external BEC), high quality servo, and better tires. I'm a Proline fan myself. Then get SSD portal weights and then you will have a very capable stock truck.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    HobbyWing 1080 ESC (in lieu of an external BEC), high quality servo, and better tires. I'm a Proline fan myself. Then get SSD portal weights and then you will have a very capable stock truck.
    Yeah the first two things are definitely where the truck is lacking in stock form. It's a heavy truck and my portal weights don't help with the already lacking steering authority. It also doesn't have enough power for my taste. Even with a 3S in it.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    HobbyWing 1080 ESC (in lieu of an external BEC),
    Do you lose any features by using the 1080? Like does the truck still have cruise control? Do TQi bluetooth features and telemetry still work? Do the diff lockets and two-speed switch work?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    Do you lose any features by using the 1080? Like does the truck still have cruise control? Do TQi bluetooth features and telemetry still work? Do the diff lockets and two-speed switch work?
    I believe cruise control will work, but I'm not positive. I changed my multifunction knob to the throttle exponential adjustment or something and it works fine with the 1080 ESC. The TQi Bluetooth will still work, but I'm not sure if the stock ESC has any Bluetooth features. I doubt it. In the long run the 1080 is the better ESC, but you might be fine with the stock XL-5 ESC. The stock ESC will even run more powerful servos. It all depends on how much servo you need and whether or not the servo is power hungry. I put a Savox in mine and those are power hungry. Instead of using an external BEC, which I hate, I installed the 1080 ESC.

Everything else including the diff lockers and 2-speed will continue to work fine after changing the ESC and servo.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes all functions such as cruise control will still work since those are tied to the receiver not the ESC.

RC Racer
    Yes all functions such as cruise control will still work since those are tied to the receiver not the ESC.
    This is what I suspected, but wanted to make sure My XL-5 ESC has been running great, and I do have another servo (20kg) installed without any trouble, but I have been looking at the 1080 as a future upgrade.

RC Qualifier
    I do feel kinda stupid. I have a got a really powerful servo for my SCX10 II before I got my TRX-4 and I haven't swapped the stock TRX-4 servo for the servo I have in my SCX10 II yet (confused? yeah me too). I'm also tempted to try running a VXL 3S system in my TRX-4 just to see how it does.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.