Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31

    Shock upgrades for bandit

    Hi! I have a traxxas bandit. I have thought of buying big bore shocks but some people have told me that they aren't worth it. So any upgrade ideas for the traxxas ultra shocks on rear and front for bandit. OR should I just buy the big bore shocks?

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    797
    Take a look at the proline shocks before you settle on the Traxxas ultra ones. I run the powerstroke shows on my slash 4x4 and they have done well for a few years now. No issues out of them I can think of. Anyhow, just some more alternatives. Have a good day. And hopefully you get the answer you’re looking for.

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Take a look at the proline shocks before you settle on the Traxxas ultra ones. I run the powerstroke shows on my slash 4x4 and they have done well for a few years now. No issues out of them I can think of. Anyhow, just some more alternatives. Have a good day. And hopefully you get the answer you’re looking for.
    My shops don't sell pro-line shocks?

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier PJbottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    337
    Just curious why you feel the need to upgrade. The ultras are fine if you just put some aluminum caps on the top so they do't blow off. usually you should try new suspension tuning options like oil wt or springs before upgrading the shocks fully, and it's way cheaper.

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by PJbottoms View Post
    Just curious why you feel the need to upgrade. The ultras are fine if you just put some aluminum caps on the top so they do't blow off. usually you should try new suspension tuning options like oil wt or springs before upgrading the shocks fully, and it's way cheaper.
    ye well... The shocks are pretty bad from my opinion so just asking if any suggestions. But i need to buy new front shocks cuz i broke one of them. Thats why im asking upgrades cuz i would like to get as much as stuff with one posting cost.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier PJbottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    337
    Makes sense if you broke one then

    I hear good things about the big bores is all I can add, but I believe you still need the aluminum caps for those as well.

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    90
    I've heard from forum that you don't need the alloy caps and also Kev RC still blows off those. The big bores so far have been fine for me, the bottom spring supports popped off so I've got the RPM ones with guards. See how those run once I get the rest of the car working.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier Synnergy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    872
    I like the upgraded stock shocks that some have done on this forum. They take the ultra and upgrade the body to a threaded aluminum and change the shafts to the Ti-Ni coated ones. The caps get upgraded to aluminum as well. Can't recall if it is more expensive than just buying big bores, but you get a threaded body which the big bores do not have (they use the collar clips.). The bigbores DO come with aluminum caps.

    I haven't had a big bore failure.

    I do like some other brands as well that have a bigger shaft...just seems more durable. They are more expensive. The pro specs are light and have some nice features. The powerstrokes use a dual spring setup which I'm still learning to tune ( one spring may be easier to work with.)

    If I were to do it right now...I would do the strc upgrade to the ultras. Apparently the ultras hold a little more oil than the bbs, threaded bodies, al caps, tini shafts, the custom colors and satisfaction of making them. There are some piston options or you could drill some blanks. Check out flying tiger dads thread and use it as a guide. I know there are others who have done this but his comes to mind.
    MTFBWY

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    8,617
    Big Bores are more expensive than the upgrade with alu caps and TiN coated shafts (Titanium Nitride, not Ti-Ni, no Nickel involved ), at least as far as the prices on my end always have been.
    Nobody is born with experience

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Big Bores are more expensive than the upgrade with alu caps and TiN coated shafts (Titanium Nitride, not Ti-Ni, no Nickel involved ), at least as far as the prices on my end always have been.
    Any links where i could look at them that do they sell them on my shop? And what does those things even help?
    Last edited by Snakesteri; 09-03-2018 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Second question

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    8,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakesteri View Post
    Any links where i could look at them that do they sell them on my shop?
    Don't know where you are from, but I think that a link to a Dutch LHS won't help you much. From the US (that was quite some years ago), it must have been either Liquid RC or Amain Hobbies. Liquid is only active on eBay nowadays.

    Since the parts are all original Traxxas, you could buy from them too.
    Nobody is born with experience

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31
    Me being not so good at working with the RC's. I think the best option is to buy the big bores. Ye i might know how to change shock oil tho i have never done it and never modified a shock. what do you think?

  13. #13
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakesteri View Post
    Me being not so good at working with the RC's. I think the best option is to buy the big bores. Ye i might know how to change shock oil tho i have never done it and never modified a shock. what do you think?
    umm nevermind... I got new idieas from my dad. How about new springs? Any good springs and shock oil for rear and front? I would like the rear to be more bouncy. I think the front is ok but i have heard that you should upgrade fronts too when you upgrade rear ones.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier Synnergy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Big Bores are more expensive than the upgrade with alu caps and TiN coated shafts (Titanium Nitride, not Ti-Ni, no Nickel involved ), at least as far as the prices on my end always have been.
    Ahh yes, thank you for clarifying!! I use NiTi files for work and it just gets stuck in my head. I remember Nitride now that you mention it.

    Snakesteri, take your broken ultra shock apart and see what is inside...you can't break it if it's already broken, right? Disect it!
    MTFBWY

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier PJbottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    337
    I have the integy tuned spring set and like it a lot. $14 (including the shipping) on amazon. Ignore the negative reviews. They are perfectly fine. The blue set feels around the same as the shock springs far as I could tell, so you get two softer and two stiffer sets with it.

    https://www.amazon.com/MSR9-Tuned-Sp.../dp/B00125ZFWU

    I swapped my stock 30wt oil with some Losi 35wt in the front and 45wt in the rear. 45wt in the front made it way too bouncy on rough stuff.

    Losi 35wt
    2oz bottle
    https://www.amazon.com/Team-Losi-Sil.../dp/B00B4C8280
    4oz bottle
    https://www.amazon.com/Team-Losi-Sil.../dp/B00B9E9CLY

    Losi 45wt
    2oz bottle
    https://www.amazon.com/Team-Losi-Sil.../dp/B00B9E9B24
    4oz bottle
    https://www.amazon.com/Team-Losi-Sil.../dp/B00BFCVE34
    Last edited by PJbottoms; 09-03-2018 at 05:09 PM.

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Big Bores are more expensive than the upgrade with alu caps and TiN coated shafts (Titanium Nitride, not Ti-Ni, no Nickel involved ), at least as far as the prices on my end always have been.
    Snake....do this upgrade. ^^^^^^^^^It’s all you need.

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier PJbottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    337
    2 pairs of shock shafts = $20
    1 set of aluminum caps = $14

    Big bore shocks = $53

    I'd do the parts upgrade as well depending on which part you broke on your shocks.

  18. #18
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,152
    For $60-75, I'd definitely just get a set of TLR shocks.



    Way better than anything else you can get at that price, including Proline/Big bore/GTR shocks, whatever.

    Something like TLR 22-4 shocks should fit the best.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  19. #19
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31
    I dont get what the caps help and the shafts?

  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakesteri View Post
    I dont get what the caps help and the shafts?

    The plastic caps on the stock ultrashocks often pop off after big jumps or cartwheels. They don’t strip, they just pop off. With aluminum caps this problem goes away.

    The stock shafts can be bent in a bad crash. They are a steel alloy. This goes to show how much kinetic energy these models have. Amazes me! The Titanium Nitride coated shafts are much stronger and seem to limit friction to some extent.

    You say the ultrashocks are “pretty bad”. What exactly is bad about them in your opinion? My suspicion is that they are not tuned how you’d like. Try different oil, pistons or mounting positions. Many races are won with these shocks. YouTube and other sources online have great info on this. Look into “URC suspension 101” on youtube or if you want technical then research the Hudy set up guide.

    Best luck and have fun!!!!!

  21. #21
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by massenrg4 View Post
    The plastic caps on the stock ultrashocks often pop off after big jumps or cartwheels. They don’t strip, they just pop off. With aluminum caps this problem goes away.

    The stock shafts can be bent in a bad crash. They are a steel alloy. This goes to show how much kinetic energy these models have. Amazes me! The Titanium Nitride coated shafts are much stronger and seem to limit friction to some extent.

    You say the ultrashocks are “pretty bad”. What exactly is bad about them in your opinion? My suspicion is that they are not tuned how you’d like. Try different oil, pistons or mounting positions. Many races are won with these shocks. YouTube and other sources online have great info on this. Look into “URC suspension 101” on youtube or if you want technical then research the Hudy set up guide.

    Best luck and have fun!!!!!
    Yes... Well today i discovered that if you put the plastic things that go on top of the spring dont limit the up travel so ye that happened and the shocks became a lot more better . So this thread was kinda pointless but it gave a lot more New ideas. Thank you all very much!

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    8,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakesteri View Post
    Yes... Well today i discovered that if you put the plastic things that go on top of the spring dont limit the up travel so ye that happened and the shocks became a lot more better . So this thread was kinda pointless but it gave a lot more New ideas. Thank you all very much!
    Any thread which learns someone something is never pointless
    Nobody is born with experience

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •