Thread: ESC Failure???

RC Competitor

ESC Failure???

Hello everybody

Yesterday I ran my mini summit and It worked great. I use a venom 2s battery that is made for 1/16th cars. It is 35c and I had no issues with it. However when i went to run the car, it started to drive and then just randomly shut off. I tried to restart it, I unplugged the battery, shut off the controller and turned it back on, but nothing would work. I really do not know what is causing this. THe esc is the vxl-3m. the car is running a larger pinion and it did get fairly warm, but I could still keep my hand on it for a while. I don't understand what causes this. At first, the green light on the esc turns on and then fades to red and turns completely off kinda like its not getting enough voltage. I don't understand why this has been happening, this is the only rc I have functioning right now and for once I would like to enjoy the hobby without having anything go wrong....

Thanks, and have a great rest of your day!

The wires on the inside of the ESC might have a loose solder connection. Do you hard bash your mini summit?

I would try to disconnect the servo wire from the receiver and then see if it will startup. Broken servos can cause weird ESC behaviour.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I would try to disconnect the servo wire from the receiver and then see if it will startup. Broken servos can cause weird ESC behaviour.

No its just a fried esc. I accidentally left a battery plugged in for a few minutes with the esc turned off. I realized it was plugged in so I un plugged it. I then noticed the esc was extremely hot, even hotter than when I was running it at full throttle. Luckily there are warranties for a reason so I will call traxxas and get a new one

If it is only plugged in for a few minutes, it should not get to that temperature. Especially when it is off.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniSummit50Mph View Post
    No its just a fried esc. I accidentally left a battery plugged in for a few minutes with the esc turned off. I realized it was plugged in so I un plugged it. I then noticed the esc was extremely hot, even hotter than when I was running it at full throttle. Luckily there are warranties for a reason so I will call traxxas and get a new one
    I hope Traxxas will replace it under warranty, but I agree with GreenSpider25 that it should never get hot when you leave a Lipo connected. Not recommended, but it should even be possible to leave it connected for a longer time. Of course both situations with the ESC switched off.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    Esc has arrived, I will put it in today! Hopefully it was just a fluke that won't happen again