Thread: Spur Gear

RC Enthusiast

Spur Gear

So uhm, is there a better option then this? Totally stripped!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Robinson racing products make nice hardened steel spurs. Correct gear mesh will stop that happening as well. I run a 2200kv, 4s and 2.8 Trenchers and keep plastic spurs in one piece.

No slipper shaft bearing issues?

Yep...something caused that. Bearings,motor mount ,mesh, etc. I also run 1/8th scale power on 3s and 4s and have only switched spurs twice in 3 yrs. and that was only to change tooth count. Still have the 54t original that came with my truck.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    Only thing I could see is the bearing didn't look too happy. This is factory fresh (ultimate edition) and only had two or three runs out. Last run it did get a bit wet so possibly played a part.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizh View Post
    Only thing I could see is the bearing didn't look too happy. This is factory fresh (ultimate edition) and only had two or three runs out. Last run it did get a bit wet so possibly played a part.

I've heard a few fellas say it's a good idea to go over the truck before running it out of the box.
    I can understand where this would be something most may not do with a RTR truck but sometimes things aren't set 100% from box to hard running.
    While it shouldn't be the case the spur may have been poorly adjusted from the start.
    I like the others run hardened RR gears but also have had a plastic Traxxas spur in my MT for two years now with a Castle 2650kv on 3 and 4 4s lipos.
    Water shouldn't have hurt anything.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thanks guys. I've ordered a hardened one. Will strip the car down and make sure everything is good for new spur when it arrives.

RC Racer
    So uhm, is there a better option then this? Totally stripped!

Looks like your mesh was too tight.
    I run this guy couldnt have been happyer with it got 100+3s packs on it with bashing and reverse drops i run a 18 or 20 tooth hardened pinion with it

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I have never used anything other than the plastic spur gear. It will hold 6s power effortlessly. The screw that holds your motor plate may have been loose. If you buy a hardened spur gear, you want to buy a hardened pinion gear. You say it got wet? The center bearing will lock up if it gets exposed to too much water. That would cause the spur to strip.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have never used anything other than the plastic spur gear. It will hold 6s power effortlessly. The screw that holds your motor plate may have been loose. If you buy a hardened spur gear, you want to buy a hardened pinion gear. You say it got wet? The center bearing will lock up if it gets exposed to too much water. That would cause the spur to strip.
    This one? I think it may have been the case here.

This one? I think it may have been the case here.

If your going to play in the water you definitely have to do a lot of upkeep on the bearings.
    I know a couple of my rigs are waterproof but with the exception of the crawlers I never run them in wet conditions.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    If your going to play in the water you definitely have to do a lot of upkeep on the bearings.
    I know a couple of my rigs are waterproof but with the exception of the crawlers I never run them in wet conditions.
    Not regularly, no. But I reckon it's affected the bearings aye.