RC Enthusiast

Question Max lipo cells for 1/16 E Revo VXL

So with my Xmaxx, it is limited to 8 cells. If I were to stack two 3 cells parallel or in series could the stock model handle it? With Parallel I know I will have to re gear.

Is 3 cell in parallel with a 3 cell a good idea? (I know to only pair identical batteries)

Is 3 cell in a series with another 3 cell a good idea? Can i use a 3 cell with a 2 cell in a series?

What do you run in your setup?
    Last edited by DJDoggor; 09-04-2018 at 09:15 AM.

The Merv can handle 3S Lipos. That means either a single one, or two in parallel. In series you would have 6S which will not work.

Not sure about the second and third question, but in general it is best to use the same batteries when using them parallel or in series.

A 2S and 3S in series is possible, but you would need the same capacity cells. It's not really recommended.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    Do you know of any cell cap or capacity cap for series? Or should I just play it safe and not go above 3 cell?

RC Champion
    The ESC will not handle more than 3s battery. That is unless you plan on changing the motor and ESC out for a much larger one. And I donít think that the MERV would handle it too well. You would be breaking diffs and axles left and right!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    The ESC will not handle more than 3s battery.
    Do you mean 3s in total or two 3s together?

edit: That was a dumb question. After looking back at the rest of the forum, I know you mean in total.
    Last edited by DJDoggor; 09-04-2018 at 09:56 AM.

RC Champion
    No worries. No question is dumb or stupid. Just the ones not asked!! And yes sir I do mean just one 3s or two 3sís in parallel. Canít do series which makes 6s. Even on 3s the thing will go rather fast with the right gearing. Think most I ever got out of mine was on 2 nimh batteries in series using foams and was able to get right at 79mph. But man it was a lot of work upgrading parts and making sure everything was tight as far as slop in the steering and the hub carriers. Took a lot of work and a lot of broken parts before I mastered the driving of the MERV. At any rate, you want speed, you may want to look into either a really good set of 3s batteries or a really good set of NIMH batteries. JMHOís. And also make sure you have removed as much slop from the steering and such or youíll have a hard time at high speed. Again, these are JMHOís. Good day

RC Enthusiast
    I don't have much knowledge with NIMH. I use only lipos. I may stick to the NIMH that comes with it because it will be an ID battery. What batteries will be max if I use two? What is the max number for NIMH and what is the number for?

At some point I will get a 2s or two. I don't think I am going to go with series.

+1 on what 222 said.

I would stay away from NiMH, since those are most of the time more heavy and relatively more expensive per amount of power that they can deliver.

I have used 2 NiMH cell in series in the beginning, but your combo will not like that very much. It overheats in no time and the NiMH's won't hold up very long.
    I have always used pairs of 2S or 3S batteries. I have used a 1/10 combo for a while which could be used with 4S, but that is an amount of power you can't really get to the surface.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    Max voltage that the stock ESC will safely handle is 3s. Itís not really made to go all out bashing with unless you gear down a lot and watch the temps closely. With 2s and proper gearing you should have no issues with overheating and less chance of breaking things. If you must use use 3s, get yourself a pair of really good ones. SMC makes some pretty nice batteries for it. Price is not bad either!! These at the price are pretty good ones. Either the 2s or the 3s. Just get a pair when you do, and then buy yourself a parallel connector so that you can run both at the same time.
    For under $50 you can have a couple nice batteries.
    The nimh batteries will have a bit higher voltage from the beginning but as soon as you place a heavy load on them youíll see that lipos hold their voltage much better. I only used the nimh for speed runs and it was a pass or 2 and that was it. Also there are some new batteries out called LiHV. They are a higher voltage per cell @ 4.35vpc. So a fully charged 3s battery would be 13.05v versus a 3s regular lipo which is 4.20vpc and a 3s battery would be 12.6v. Not a big amount, but every little helps. I donít know much about these new batteries, so take it with a grain of salt as I have heard mixed things about them the little bit Iíve heard anyhow. I would truly recommend looking into the SMC batts. They have a great reputation for being very well made and pretty true to their ratings of their batts. As far as nimh goes, the ones that come with the MERV, are a 7.2v battery and will charge to 8.4v. But their voltage will drop fast compared to lipo batteries. And last, for a little better ESC, the castle sidewinder ESC for 1/10 scale vehicles will work very well. The motor in the MERV arenít bad at all, shoot even the ESC is not that bad. Just really made for 2s mostly and 3s occasionally. These are JMHOís. Hope you find what you are after. Good day.