RC Racer

Good road tires that won't balloon?

So today I tried taping my tires... lets just say it didn't go well. At all.

I need a pair of wheels that are good for speed runs and won't balloon. My current Dynamite Speedtreads start ballooning like crazy at 70 mph. If anyone knows good wheels that don't balloon that I can use for speed runs, I'm all ears.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jainm View Post
    So today I tried taping my tires... lets just say it didn't go well. At all.

I need a pair of wheels that are good for speed runs and won't balloon. My current Dynamite Speedtreads start ballooning like crazy at 70 mph. If anyone knows good wheels that don't balloon that I can use for speed runs, I'm all ears.
    I just want to ask what is the problem with balooning? It seems that would help acheive higher speeds. You see this with full size drag cars that go 330mph. Do the tires come off the rims? I had only 1 tire keep coming off the bead on a 2.2" beadloc and it turned out one half of the rim had completely split in two.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    The faster the car goes the more the tires expand, eventually they end up separating from the rims and I'll have to reglue them. I was considering Jaco Foams but they seem to wear pretty quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I just want to ask what is the problem with balooning? It seems that would help acheive higher speeds. You see this with full size drag cars that go 330mph. Do the tires come off the rims? I had only 1 tire keep coming off the bead on a 2.2" beadloc and it turned out one half of the rim had completely split in two.

Full sized dragster tires ballon by design, RC tires donít. As a result, RC tires tend to ballon unevenly and become unbalanced, greatly reducing stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Full sized dragster tires ballon by design, RC tires donít. As a result, RC tires tend to ballon unevenly and become unbalanced, greatly reducing stability.

That makes sense, i did notice how they shake horribly at speed. I bought a prop balancer to see if that would alleviate some of that shaking.

RC Racer
    Prop balancer? How did you install that?

RC Racer
    Quick bump... how are the Jaco Foams for top speed runs?

RC Qualifier
    Ideally GRP tires are best till you get the car dialed in or if you hit 150 plus then you want to switch to BSR foams.
    GRP wheels are very strong and the rubber tires take a beating. Foams are not forgiving in any way a roll over etc, they chunk and need to be tossed at that point. GRP's are rated to 160mph btw. I'd recommend S1 or S2 (I'd trade shorter tire life over low grip crashes)

Jaco foams are made by BSR, but it is my personal opinion that they are of lesser quality.

FYI all of these require a 17mm hex.

-Liberty
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 09-01-2018 at 09:58 PM.

RC Racer
    There are Jaco foams that can fit 12mm hubs that I was looking at.
    I see people mention "GRP," but what are they? Like can you show me an example of GRP tires I can use on my Slash?
    And I also need a name of a good 12-to-17mm hex adapter, if you don't mind.

RC Qualifier
    It's for balancing the tires.

RC Racer
    What's the best GRP tire I can get for speed runs?

RC Champion
    https://www.hobbyheroes.com/collecti...es-grpgtx01-s5

I use s7 compound but have also ran s1. just a difference in the hardness of the rubber compound. once warm they all grip.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC poster
    Perfect!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    That makes sense, i did notice how they shake horribly at speed. I bought a prop balancer to see if that would alleviate some of that shaking.

For the most part, any tire/wheel that you take passed 20mph should be balanced. You can use a balancer, but a lot of guys just use a front axle for all four wheels. I've made my own out of a rear arm and carrier, it works pretty good, the trick is to have smooth, free-running bearings; for weight I just use modeling clay from Wallyworld, a $3 tub will last you years. But, balancing will not not much when the tires start ballooning, the foams and tire compound is not distributed evenly, and the tires will fold when they are ballooned, further contributing to the instability.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Honestly I'll just stick with GRP's

RC Qualifier
    Honestly I'll just stick with GRP's
    Wise choice. For the 17mm conversion there are tons out there. I use MIP but there are plenty of other options.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have S4ís and never could get them to hook like foams do.

RC Racer
    I got these here for quite cheap, but honestly I think they'll do the trick. I was going to go for Hot Racing or Tekno but $30 for adapters? No thanks :P

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713ZSD5X

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I got these here for quite cheap, but honestly I think they'll do the trick. I was going to go for Hot Racing or Tekno but $30 for adapters? No thanks :P

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713ZSD5X
    My only issue is you normally get what you pay for. Those are also long, creating quite a weak point.

RC Qualifier
    Will be interesting to see how those work for you. The GRP wheels seem to set inside the body a bit so the extra 30mm might help. Or it will be all wrong...

RC Racer
    You might be able to use XO1 or dragster wheels. They don't Ballon at high speeds.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6473