"New" Titan 12T??

So I think my old, yellow XL-5 is on its last leg and I picked up a used Holmes Hobbies BRXL esc. Those that do not know this is a monster ESC built for crawlers and trail trucks but you can change the settings with a Castle Link just like a Sidewinder ESC (It was built off the same platform).

Anyway, I planned on rebuilding my Reedy Radon motor in the Stampede but I decided just to get a new Titan 12T. The guy at the hobby shop said (I am paraphrasing here) "These new Titan motors are built differently than the older ones and the brushes don't break off (or something like that)". I also asked him about breaking them in with water and he said that is no longer needed.

Is there any truth to this? Was there a change in the way Traxxas makes these motors? I want to get a much mileage as I can out of this motor. I used to break all my brushed motors with water but this has me second guessing.
    Revo .18TM BL Rustler Stampede MERV HPI Sprint 2

I also heard about the water break in method, but I also heard that it will limit the life-span of the motor. I heard that racers used to water break-in but weren't too interested in longevity since they would just replace the motor for another day of racing. I have no idea what to believe. My LHS DID say to water break-in but I'm not sure they really know. I'm interested to see what you find out and what others with more experience have to say.
    MTFBWY

RC Qualifier
    Some swear by it, I do it......however, I could have sworn I read Traxxas said don't do it.

RC Competitor
    I've had several Titans and tried both water and dry break-ins. Haven't noticed any difference in longevity between the two. Traxxas recommends just running at a fairly constant speed on flat ground for the first battery pack.

I use conservative gearing to keep temps down.

In my experience the bushings are what fail on brushed motors. If gear mesh is too tight you'll push the output shaft against the bushing and ream out the interior diameter. Then the shaft is loose and it's all over. Also dirt and muddy water will kill the bushings. Keep them clean and gently lubed. This is the key to long motor life.

Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    I also heard about the water break in method, but I also heard that it will limit the life-span of the motor. I heard that racers used to water break-in but weren't too interested in longevity since they would just replace the motor for another day of racing. I have no idea what to believe. My LHS DID say to water break-in but I'm not sure they really know. I'm interested to see what you find out and what others with more experience have to say.
    Yes, this was the "old" racer's trick for cutting the brushes in to their sweet spot for maximum power (basically the water acts as an abrasive). The trade off is you were loosing about 25% of the brushes life by doing this. If you are not going for max power immediately, and wanted to extend the life of your motor, you just need to drive the new motor around for about 10 minutes at about 1/4 speed. After that, blow the motor out with air and let-r-rip...

The new Titans are better than the Stingers (AKA: Stinkers) that these trucks used to come with. The end bells now have fans built in, which helps keep the motor cooler. But, the real reason these motor fail is just lack of maintenance. Many people read "waterproof" on the box and think that means "maintenance-proof". With that, if you clean and lubricate the motor periodically, it will give you a good amount of life. How often you clean it really depends on how you run. If you run on grass, pavement, and light dusty areas you should clean your motor ever 10-15 packs. If you are running in more dusty areas, then every 5-10 packs. If you run in water (snow), mud, sand, heavy dust, then your motor should be cleaned after you are done running for the day.

If you are just running in water, then you just need to lubricate it. A single drop of light machine oil on each bushing will do the trick (spinning the motor shaft to work it in).

If you are running in mud, sand, or heave dust (or routine 10-15 pack cleaning), then you'll want to go whole-hog.
    - Remove the motor and blow it out with compressed air (30-40pisg)
    - Spray electric motor cleaner through the motor until the cleaner comes out clear
    - Blow out the motor again and let dry over night
    - Put a drop of light machine oil on each bushing (I use stuff made for bicycle chains), spinning the motor shaft to work it in.
    - Reinstall with just a little bit of backlash. I go by feel, but the paper-method works well.

Quote Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
    So I think my old, yellow XL-5 is on its last leg and I picked up a used Holmes Hobbies BRXL esc. Those that do not know this is a monster ESC built for crawlers and trail trucks but you can change the settings with a Castle Link just like a Sidewinder ESC (It was built off the same platform).
    I had one of the yellow XL-10 ESCs, worked like a champ until I put lipo power through it. It went into crop-dust mode for about 30 seconds and then it was done.

Something else you might look at is the Castle B-link, which is a waterproof Castle link you can install and leave on your truck. They are a little pricy, but it makes tweaking settings on your ESC a heck of a lot easier. You just log into it with your phone, tweak what you want, flash the ESC and you are done, no getting into the RX box or removing wires, no computer, you don't even have to remove the body...
    Last edited by Greatscott; 09-06-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I still want to know if Traxxas actually made changes (within the last 10 years or so) to these motors. I am not doing any racing so there is no need to tweak the motor for more speed but I also don't want it to be slow. Eventually I will put a brushless system on it but that's another subject.

The old esc might be alright. My issues could be radio related and I have not had the chance to do some testing.
    Revo .18TM BL Rustler Stampede MERV HPI Sprint 2

RC Competitor
    Chops1 this is an elusive subject. I’ve read (forgot the source) that Traxxas didn’t engineer the Titan. Rather they buy a generic 12 turn brushed motor and put their sticker on it. It’s not specifically designed for RC. It’s found in some power tools etc.

I suspect that since it’s not a Traxxas product no changes have been made.

Can anyone else back this up?