Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zedorda's Traxxas Maxx Bodies

I am going to use this thread to showcase the few bodies I plan to use on my Traxxas Maxx Project.

This being my first body I painted since 1984. Why that is is a story for a later time. I don't really bash with this body since I don't want it destroyed but I do want it to look used. I know most of you hate it but I had several stickers and sticker sheets so I couldn't help myself, I know I need help. I was trying for that mid-80s Stadium Monster Truck style back before all the major custom bodied trucks were so common. The paint job was done more than 3 months ago.

I hope to add more bodies soon...

Reserved for body 2

Reserved for body 3

Well since edit is still a timed feature even to the thread author I guess I won't be using these reserved posts. When there is a moderator please delete post #2 #3 #4.
    Last edited by zedorda; 02-22-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Looks good!

Too many stickers for me, but that's just me.

Keep it up and keep us posted with your new body creations!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Iíve seen those MIP stickers everywhere. And I have a few of them. But they donít seem to be stickers? Just some paper. How did you mount them?

Those were standard peel and stick type.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Those were standard peel and stick type.
    Did they come with your MIP x dutyís?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they did.

Zedorda's Traxxas Maxx project Truck Body #2

This one is a WIP and what I am planning to be my main bash setup once finished. It is the Rally VG roll cage and JConcepts over tray. Still need to get front and rear Stampede bumpers with front lights. Unless I can find something better for the front and back. Would be nice to find a wing/wheelie bar combo for the back. Also looking to mount the rear of the cage with a hinge so I only need to take out the 2 front screws to gain full access. And lastly a way to get the heat out. Current plan is to find a way to mount a Yeah 30mm or 40mm fan in front of the rear shock tower at the back of the over tray. I already have the mesh mounted up on the shock tower. The mesh is just a cut piece from some replacement A/C filter sprayed with WD40 as water repellent.

Last edited by zedorda; 02-22-2019 at 07:57 PM.

I was going to hinge mine as well, but changed my mind and never ran the cage on my chassis.

A simple hinge should be pretty easy but I am not sure what to do about the metal nub on the rear mounting plate.

Is that wing on the cage?

I am going to use this thread to showcase the few bodies I plan to use on my Traxxas Maxx Project.

This being my first body I painted since 1984. Why that is is a story for a later time. I don't really bash with this body since I don't want it destroyed but I do want it to look used. I know most of you hate it but I had several stickers and sticker sheets so I couldn't help myself, I know I need help. I was trying for that mid-80s Stadium Monster Truck style back before all the major custom bodied trucks were so common. The paint job was done more than 3 months ago.

That is sweet. I like the retro look and sticker shock. I was kind of surprised that there weren't numbers on the sides of the body too. I forget if they used them back then.

What did you use to glue the wires down with and to coat the inside of the body with? Is that shoegoo and flexseal?

Quote Originally Posted by T-N-T View Post
    That is sweet. I like the retro look and sticker shock. I was kind of surprised that there weren't numbers on the sides of the body too. I forget if they used them back then.

What did you use to glue the wires down with and to coat the inside of the body with? Is that shoegoo and flexseal?
    To glue the wires in place I used liquid electrical tape. The inside of the body was backed with Rust-oleum Professional Grade Truck Bed coating. Not to be mistaken as the Bedliner line of Rust-oleum paint. This stuff is much more flexible and doesn't crack or peel. It is not as strong as Bedliner but does help protect the paint from minor scratches and hits on the inside.

To glue the wires in place I used liquid electrical tape. The inside of the body was backed with Rust-oleum Professional Grade Truck Bed coating. Not to be mistaken as the Bedliner line of Rust-oleum paint. This stuff is much more flexible and doesn't crack or peel. It is not as strong as Bedliner but does help protect the paint from minor scratches and hits on the inside.
    Thanks for the info, I'll have to give that a try.

A simple hinge should be pretty easy but I am not sure what to do about the metal nub on the rear mounting plate.

Is that wing on the cage?
    I used a cutoff attachment and cut/ground off what I needed to make it fit. The wing mount is by STRC and attached to my shock tower. I actually cut off the rear crossbar of the cage so it would clear the wing when hinged open. It’s been a long time since I did it, but I think I also bent the rear mount bar up so the the rear of the cage would sit slightly lower and not look so raked. Shot it with flat black paint when done so you can't tell where I modified the cage.

Edit:
    More pics of it here:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6013645
    Last edited by Squeegie; 02-23-2019 at 01:05 AM.

I am hoping not to have to cut it. I used this spacer to raise the back up some and deal with that metal nub on the rear mount. I had to cut that dimple the rest of the way through.

RC poster

Great look! What exact body is this?

Quote Originally Posted by jerry906 View Post
    Great look! What exact body is this?
    It is the E-Maxx 3912(Long version)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well I have just about everything for Body #3 that I need. I just need the right weather to come so I can paint it. Don't get too hyped up it is nothing special.

I have a favor to ask anyone interested because I have hit a wall on finding a part which is a pretty rare thing. But I hope someone reading this has better web mining skills and can come up with something. I am looking for tube cushions for Body #2. In blue, red, or black at 4mm-5mm ID x 8mm-10mm OD made of foam or rubber. Going to need a few feet and to be able to buy more as I destroy it. Any help in finding some will be greatly appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    Well I have just about everything for Body #3 that I need. I just need the right weather to come so I can paint it. Don't get too hyped up it is nothing special.

I have a favor to ask anyone interested because I have hit a wall on finding a part which is a pretty rare thing. But I hope someone reading this has better web mining skills and can come up with something. I am looking for tube cushions for Body #2. In blue, red, or black at 4mm-5mm ID x 8mm-10mm OD made of foam or rubber. Going to need a few feet and to be able to buy more as I destroy it. Any help in finding some will be greatly appreciated.
    Not sure if this is what your after.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS...822201285.html
    Or depending on the lengths nerf darts with the tips cut off lol.

That is way better than I was about to find thanks. Might have to just buy a test piece.

EDIT: Darn can't pick color.
    Last edited by zedorda; 02-25-2019 at 02:34 AM.

RC Qualifier
    That is way better than I was about to find thanks. Might have to just buy a test piece.
    No problem, I hope it works. I'm liking what you've done and look forward to the next project.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    No problem, I hope it works. I'm liking what you've done and look forward to the next project.
    Thank you very much is awesome to hear. Keeps drive going.

RC Qualifier

EDIT: Darn can't pick color.
    When you scroll down it has a contact seller on the left, it doesn't cost to inquire so you get exactly what your looking for. I've done it with different sellers and they have been very co-operative with my prefferences. You can also specify exactly the size and color and they might have a seperate sku # not listed, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    When you scroll down it has a contact seller on the left, it doesn't cost to inquire so you get exactly what your looking for. I've done it with different sellers and they have been very co-operative with my prefferences. You can also specify exactly the size and color and they might have a seperate sku # not listed, just a thought.
    I ordered some and there was a "Note" field in the cart so I added a request if they could give me blue, red, or black it would be great. We will see in about 25 days.

RC Qualifier
    Glad to hear and it would be nice if it works out, I'm intrigued on what you have going on but I'll wait for the install and looking forward to the finished product.

There used to be stores in the US that sold this kind of stuff for RC cars, but I can't find it now:

https://rc-car-online.de/en/products...edge-trim.html

Some have used 1:1 car door/edge protector/trim as well. Those have an adhesive strip inside to stick to your edges.

Good luck with what you purchased and keep us posted.

Was the tubing for the roll cage? If yes, then forget about the post above...

Edit:
    You can also use fuel tubing:
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/medium-...ter%29-evoa102
    Last edited by Squeegie; 02-26-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Yes I am trying to put some minimal roll over protection to the bars that will get hit and that I can replace relatively easy and cheap.

I ordered these 2. I hope at least one works.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS...7f694c4d4YUK9U

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-ME...7f694c4d4YUK9U

I also considered aquarium pump tubing but decided against it because I don't think it would offer enough impact absorption before failure. I don't doubt I will have to test 5-10 different options before getting the right one so please keep the suggestions coming.
    Last edited by zedorda; 02-26-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I hope it doesn't get to that because I am way too lazy to make the quantities I am likely to go through.

Body #2 update

I have the front and rear clips(sorry can't really call them bumpers) mounted and some 3.8 Badlands on for something different than the last set of pictures. Also pulled the overtray since that is being placed aside for the moment.

In it's pictured setup it weights 7.4lb. And drives like a phat arsed cow. There is some fun in that once you get used to it. You can predictably throw her weight around. But this setup isn't for high speed it is for slow speed traction the more weight the more ground bite you can get. Going to be trail exploring with this setup while the front wheels are out in front of the front skid plate it should be able to climb many obstacles. The high CG the cage creates will be a problem so wheel weights might be in the future.

Sorry there is no update on the Body#3 but the local weather hasn't allowed for outdoor painting yet. As soon as it does there will be updates.

JConcepts MT conversion update: Sadly the USPS has somewhat lost the package. No updates on tracking since Mar, 11 I have already contacted customer service but await a reply.
    Last edited by zedorda; 03-15-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Thise tites are huge! Can the suspension fully compress and still clear the inner tops of the tires and the cage?

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Thise tites are huge! Can the suspension fully compress and still clear the inner tops of the tires and the cage?
    The front can touch at full lock right or left plus full compression but my end points prevent this. The rears clear completely with 2mm space.

EDIT: The front contact is on the inner turning wheel only, so when turning left the left wheel touches on the rear portion.

If you think real world activity this rarely happens.
    Last edited by zedorda; 03-16-2019 at 12:37 AM.

OK... I just hope you don't land any jumps diagonally on the front end!

This configuration being so heavy jumping isn't even a thought.

USPS came through I have my parts for the front MT conversion:

I am also installing the Variable Dampening for GTR shocks kit.

Sorry things got kind of busy before spring break but now I should be able to finish the M/T conversion here soon. I got started on the VD kit for the GTRs and boy did I make it a much longer job than should of been needed. I only had a dull drill bit the right size and left very buggered holes with burrs everywhere. I did have nice new X-Acto blades so by hand I chanffered every hole on both sides. Blue thread lock on the top nuts.

Looks like Traxxas took my "Traxxas MAXX" idea of an over engineered 1/10th project. And made it a complete production line.

https://traxxas.com/products/landing...lts%20%2060mph

Or did I already know it was coming...?
    Last edited by zedorda; 09-23-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast