Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    That's what he said!

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    My body used to look like that.
    It came with that body on it. It's not perfect but it looks good still

Squeegie, thank you! On fun Friday I am going to think of a way to reward the students who have done well over the week with driving the Ultimate edition
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Where were teachers like you when I was that young!

Keep it up!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    That's what he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Where were teachers like you when I was that young!

Keep it up!
    Thank you! My theory is for hard work you get to have fun! It seems to be paying off

Made a video of me driving the new truck at work! Great way to spend a break

I didn't know you were a teacher El Sob. Much respect.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Me neither. Respect dude!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    The traxxas steel drive shafts seem inferior to the MIP drive shafts. I have never used the Traxxas ones but there are two things that make me steer clear of it:

1. Reviews on amazon: 36 reviews with a 2.9 star rating. The MIP drive shafts have 4.6 stars from 40 reviews. Most of the negative reviews about the MIP shafts are about screws falling out because people didn't use thread locker properly. Most of the negative reviews about the Traxxas shafts are due to them snapping where the pin goes in the out drive.

2. I've read that the MIP X-duty shafts used to utilize a pin in the out drive instead of a grub screw. They changed the design because putting a hole through the center of the out drive weakens it significantly and makes it more prone to snapping. The Traxxas drive shafts have a hole in the out drive and a bunch of reviews say that it snaps there.

You will have to let us know how the drive shafts hold up for you. I suspect that you are less abusive with your trucks than a lot of us from other things you have posted. You managed to not destroy the stock slipper clutch, something many of us have done. I think I also read you have no heat issues with the "El Sob Secial", yet I manage to overheat a much more powerful Castle 2650 with a massive heat sink and two super powerful fans. I find that I'm better at destroying my truck than almost everyone on these forums, which often sucks .

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    I didn't know you were a teacher El Sob. Much respect.
    Thank you! Thank you also MaxDee! I just want to be there to help guide the future leaders of our country

Sevin7, it was a tough choice to go with the Traxxas CV axles. I believe that everyone who knows about me, knows that I am the MIP X-Duty poster boy. I wanted to try something different. I remember when we at the the Slash 4x4 forum were on pins and needles waiting for the Traxxas CV axles to be released! People were taking the ones from the XO-1 and making them fit. About that time is when my affair with MIP X-Duty axles started! I still have the set of working axles. I want to see first hand how well the Traxxas axles work. So far, so good. I will be running them at least five days a week so I will keep everyone well informed

The traxxas steel drive shafts seem inferior to the MIP drive shafts.
    As far as brute strength the mip's are stronger, I've had mine a long time and have no complaints; they could be lighter and less bulky overall but definitely get the job done.
    I run the Traxxas CVD's a lot more then my MT with MIP's and they've been a fine product so far; the biggest thing with Traxxas's is looks, they look just like a half shaft on a 1:1 rig.
    I don't even know if they'ed take the punishment my Tekno's do but aesthetically the CVD's are are pleasure to look at and in the top three imho of the best out there.
    The list IMHO would be....
    Pure strength = Mip
    Strength, balance light weight, over sized bearings and overall adjustability = Tekno
    Strength, balance, light weight, great looking = Traxxas CVD's
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-16-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    As far as brute strength the mip's are stronger, I've had mine a long time and have no complaints; they could be lighter and less bulky overall but definitely get the job done.
    I run the Traxxas CVD's a lot more then my MT with MIP's and they've been a fine product so far; the biggest thing with Traxxas's is looks, they look just like a half shaft on a 1:1 rig.
    I don't even know if they'ed take the punishment my Tekno's do but aesthetically the CVD's are are pleasure to look at and in the top three imho of the best out there.
    The list IMHO would be....
    Pure strength = Mip
    Strength, balance light weight, over sized bearings and overall adjustability = Tekno
    Strength, balance, light weight, great looking = Traxxas CVD's
    Iíve gotta say I broke a Tekno M6 dog bone on the wheel side. I was doing standing backflips on 4S. The wheel side ball actually broke in half

RC Racer
    I bought my slash used and it came with Tekno shafts and I broke two of them within the first 30 minutes of driving; I was not impressed. I replaced them with MIP.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sevin7 View Post
    I bought my slash used and it came with Tekno shafts and I broke two of them within the first 30 minutes of driving; I was not impressed. I replaced them with MIP.
    Iíve always wondered seven,
    What kind of driving do you do? I thought I was really hard on my truck until I heard your stories.

Iíve learned to drive my truck a little better now and donít break as much.

There was one day I broke 11 stock half axles in a day. But that was way long ago and because i couldnít control my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by sevin7 View Post
    I never broke a tekno shaft, not in the last seven years anyway; I did bend one in a 50mph rollover about five years back.
    I guess I would ask as ati, how do you drive your rig's.
    I thought I was fairly hard on mine, after hearing many stories from other forum members I'm begining to think I'm not as hard on them as I thought.
    I’ve gotta say I broke a Tekno M6 dog bone on the wheel side. I was doing standing backflips on 4S. The wheel side ball actually broke in half
    I guess you were giving them a stress test.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

I been running them axles in my rusty for 2 years now locked down. Great set of axles. I think you will be pleased Nice Rig sir!

That's pretty cool what you do with the kids at your school El Sob. You a good man, teacher too..... I commend you sir.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ati View Post
    Iíve always wondered seven,
    What kind of driving do you do? I thought I was really hard on my truck until I heard your stories.

Iíve learned to drive my truck a little better now and donít break as much.

There was one day I broke 11 stock half axles in a day. But that was way long ago and because i couldnít control my truck.

I was doing flips on the road by driving slowly in reverse then changing to forwards (Castle ESC lets you go from reverse to forwards without first stopping) and it snapped a front Tekno shaft in half. I then switched out the front shafts for MIP and was doing normal driving for 10 minutes and by the time I was done I noticed that the pin in the end of one of the rear Tekno shafts that is used to hold it in the outdrive had moved so that almost all of it was sticking out one side and 0% sticking out the other side (the pin on the end of the drive shaft that should stick out 50% on each side). I then checked Tekno's warranty just out curiosity because the pin should not move like this, and their warranty sucks: break it and they will let you buy the same part for 50% off, but only from their overpriced web site. I managed to break a X-duty shaft and MIP sent me a replacement part for free.

I do a lot of "landscape jumping" around 40 MPH. By this I mean using natural hills as jumps, which requires a lot of speed. I also go to the BMX track somewhat frequently and do some huge jumps and a decent amount of flips. I have crashed into something about 3 times and that broke a lot of plastic parts but I don't even include that in most of my breakage reports because that would break any car. Somehow I have not broke the stock servo on my slash or stampede, which I hear a lot of people do break.

I had a good time with the kids today! I pushed the truck pretty hard to see what it could handle! The weather was in the low 90's and I decided that I was going to see how well the fans worked. I am pleasantly surprised that the motor never reached over 156į! The CV axles are still perfect, along with the steering. So far I'm very impressed with this Ultimate edition

I let the kids drive my truck today! I had two students that went over and above what they were expected to do. So of course I had to let them drive my Ultimate edition! Pictures, of course

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The addiction is real! So I got some new parts today. I got the front Traxxas CV axles. I had a little preparation time between classes. So guess what I spent my time doing? I also got a set of the Pro-Line racing body mounts. I have a few more parts on the way, I'll keep you posted
    Let me also say this, the motor has recently become very powerful! When I first got the truck, it was very anemic. Just yesterday it came to life! It is sometimes a handful to drive! I know how to calm it down enough for the students to drive it

RC Qualifier

I need your experience

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The addiction is real! So I got some new parts today. I got the front Traxxas CV axles. I had a little preparation time between classes. So guess what I spent my time doing? I also got a set of the Pro-Line racing body mounts. I have a few more parts on the way, I'll keep you posted
    Let me also say this, the motor has recently become very powerful! When I first got the truck, it was very anemic. Just yesterday it came to life! It is sometimes a handful to drive! I know how to calm it down enough for the students to drive it

How did the stock half axles hold up?

How did the stock half axles hold up?
    They did fine. I just had to upgrade the front since I did the rear. Symmetrics Plus it was a good project to teach about how things go together. Its amazing how you can make a lesson fun when you teach about what kids want to know

Ok, I'm done for now! I just installed a XO-1 differential and put a Yeah Racing YA-0554 fan on the Velineon esc. That should be all that I will do to it for awhile

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I'm done for now! I just installed a XO-1 differential and put a Yeah Racing YA-0554 fan on the Velineon esc. That should be all that I will do to it for awhile

Only a single diff? What happened to symmetry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only a single diff? What happened to symmetry

I have to find out where I put all of the parts to build another XO-1 differential. When I can locate the package it will be built. I do want to put a King Headz motor mount and RPM nerf bars. After all those, I will be finished

It has been a couple of days since I have written anything. Yesterday was about 98į outside! So what better test to see how effective the fans are to my setup. They passed with shining colors! The Ultimate edition doesn't have a temperature sensor on the esc. I will say that I ran it as hard as I could on pavement and the esc never went into protection mode. The motor on the other hand did see a high temperature of 161į. I also learned that the motor dropped a degree in temperature every ten seconds when it was 161į. The cooler the motor got the faster it cooled off. I am very happy with the two pole Velineon motor system. On pavement I can pitch the truck sideways with slightly more than half throttle! Full throttle spins the tires something fierce! I am going to need new tires very soon The Traxxas CV axles are working just fine. No complaints, they are not bent or tweaked and haven't broken. So that has been a big win! I am pleasantly surprised that I am so happy with this truck. I usually drop Mip X-Duty axles and the El Sob motor system in every truck that I get. Here is to being a little different

Sounds good mate. Drive the wheels off her.

For future reference

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I couldn't keep the other ones on the wheels knowing they were different lengths.
    Last edited by lektro; 09-27-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    For future reference

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I couldn't keep the other ones on the wheels knowing they were different lengths.
    Those fit perfectly on your wheels? I have been looking for some more of those for my other Ultimate edition! 100 should do nicely

Those fit perfectly on your wheels? I have been looking for some more of those for my other Ultimate edition! 100 should do nicely
    Indeed they do. Pretty sure the lug nuts that came with the Mickeys were 6mm. Not a bad price for 100 SS screws. With the different lengths I had in mine. They could have possibly made the wheels wobble at higher speeds. Well I don't know that for sure but didn't want to find out either.
    Last edited by lektro; 09-27-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Well, I was planning on doing an experiment. The fan on my heatsink pushing or pulling air. Which is more efficient. Well yesterday it got it about 72į so I could not get the motor over 112į no matter how hard I drove it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Lektro, I plan on ordering a set of screws very soon

Cool El Sob! While i was swapping out mine I noticed a few had loosened up on me. Unless I just forgot to tighten a few. What do you think! Should I use locktite on them?

there's only 56 per set ....
    Last edited by lektro; 09-29-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    I have not heard anyone else mention this but the MIP work with their 18mm conversions. The Traxxas ones don't. When I compared the Traxxas stubs + 18mm vs the MIP combo MIP seemed much stronger.

Ironically I'm still running stock plastic axles. My theory is I'd rather break a plastic axle than break something else further down the driveline.

FYI I bash my slash real bad. It's been taking my abuse now for 8 years on mostly 3s geared for speed. Yes I've probably replaced 90% of the parts, but the fact I'm still running the original motor/esc without fans is a resume to how amazing this car is.

I just recently did a jump over a tree that was probably 60+ feet high. Broke nothing! (did have to redo gear mesh)

Old video of a speed bump jump at speed (3s)

Obviously this is not my bashing body...

Last edited by Miamitj; 09-30-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Cool El Sob! While i was swapping out mine I noticed a few had loosened up on me. Unless I just forgot to tighten a few. What do you think! Should I use locktite on them?

there's only 56 per set ....
    I don't use Loctite on my screws. I just go through and make sure that they are all tight at least once a week. I use my MIP drivers to make sure that they stay VERY tight!

Miamitj, that is still the original Slash 4x4 that you have had since 2010? You are running the original motor system that came with the truck in 2010? If I remember correctly, the Velineon motor was made by a different company back then. Wow! Aug 2010 and only three posts? I feel honored that you are on mine

I like my hudys but think i will be getting some MIPs soon. A set with the handle and a set for my drill..

Did you get a set of the Mickey Thompsons?
    Last edited by lektro; 09-30-2018 at 05:13 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

I like my hudys but think i will be getting some MIPs soon. A set with the handle and a set for my drill..

Did you get a set of the Mickey Thompsons?
    I'm am extremely impressed with the quality of the MIP drivers. I am also thinking of getting a set for my drill. I haven't decided to get a set of aluminum rims for this new truck or not.

On the same subject, I went and got a new set of shoes for the new truck! I got the exact replacement except for the new version doesn't come with white letters. I like to paint the letters white myself

Well, today was in the high 80's with lots of humidity. So it was a good time to give the sucking the air from the motor a good test. I went really hard on the motor and it stopped at 157į. So I then timed it so I could see how fast the motor dropped a degree in temperature. It was consistent with eight to nine seconds! That is slightly faster than blowing air into the motor. I'll give it a few more times and see if I continue to get the same readings.

Broke my first part today! I was running the new Ultimate edition around my school parking lot. A crazy parent came sliding in sideways! There were students around so I used my R/C truck to get them out of the way! The kids were just safe when the Ultimate edition slid into Old Glory! Kids were safe, broke an A arm

I need your experience

Broke my first part today! I was running the new Ultimate edition around my school parking lot. A crazy parent came sliding in sideways! There were students around so I used my R/C truck to get them out of the way! The kids were just safe when the Ultimate edition slid into Old Glory! Kids were safe, broke an A arm

Iíd say the a arm break was well worth it! Good job keeping the kids safe your a good man El Sob

Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

Well, I was planning on doing an experiment. The fan on my heatsink pushing or pulling air. Which is more efficient. Well yesterday it got it about 72į so I could not get the motor over 112į no matter how hard I drove it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Hey El Sob, If you have not ordered those screws yet. I think maybe 8mm would be better than the 6mm. Give you 2mm of extra bite. Just my thought for the day.

Sorry about that a arm, but it was surely for a good cause....
    Last edited by lektro; 10-04-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast