Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronics

RC Racer

Electronics

I had a motor go out and then realized it was a 2 pole setup not a 4 pole. I'm not well versed in the electronics parts so it's still somewhat cloudy what that even means in my little brain. I've been looking to replace the motor but it appears that the 2 pole ESC won't work with the 4 pole motors, might as well replace both, right?
    My question is, what is the difference in the Castle Creations Monster X 1/8 Brushless Combo w/1512 Sensored Motor (2650kV) and the Castle Creations Monster 2 1/8 Brushless Combo w/1512 Sensored Motor (2650kV)?
    I see the 2 is $30 cheaper and the X can datalog (I don't race so this wouldn't be important to me). Is that the big difference?

Thanks for the input and mods if this isn't allowed since they are not Traxxas parts I understand, please delete.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

The main difference is that the MMX is sensored, the MM2 is not...
    They can both run the same sensored motor, but the MM2 cannot run it in sensored mode.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Thanks! I had to look up the difference. It doesn't appear that I would 'need' a sensored motor since I won't be spending a lot of time at low speeds so the cogging effect shouldn't be an issue. If I am reading right the Traxxas stuff is sensorless as well.
    Now to try and figure out how the kV rating works so I can decide if the 2650 will be a good swap. I do only bashing - some street some offroad - a lot at full throttle. Right now running 19/54 gears and the stock setup gets in the 160 range with fans and I am guessing at one point got much hotter because the motor went bad and the heat shrink on one of the wires from ESC to motor melted.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

I have driven a two pole esc with a four pole motor. It works. I don't remember if it were perfect or not but it did work.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    I was told recently that a 4 pole will just increase the duty cycles. It’s a bit like running a motor with half the number of turns.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I like the two choices you posted. I run the Castle 2650kV in my Sl4sh and P4de and love them. For only $30 you'll be happier with the buttery smoothness of the sensored system.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Racer

Unhappy

Looks like it will be a while before I get one. Seems Castle has decided not to work for the summer months - everything is back ordered. I was going to get in on the El Sob motor/esc combo but even that is on hold.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

I've been waiting for Castle systems since the beginning of the year. Already have their programming card and such with my Slash 2wd and right now don't want to go another brand with my Slash 4x4.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I've been waiting for Castle systems since the beginning of the year. Already have their programming card and such with my Slash 2wd and right now don't want to go another brand with my Slash 4x4.
    We probably discussed this in the past, but I cannot recall the particulars. Which Castle system are you waiting for?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Racer
    I know this was directed towards Double G but the only Castle systems I can find are either 5000Kv+ and under 800Kv.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    We probably discussed this in the past, but I cannot recall the particulars. Which Castle system are you waiting for?
    Initially was going to go Castle (~2400kv) when I got my Sl4sh. It came with the VXL and it is doing very well. Once it goes then I'll probably go with Castle - they've got the Educational Discount which is 25% off the purchase at Castle's site and from what I've found their prices don't vary much from other online retailers.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Finally found the Mamba X & 2650Kv motor from A Main and get them in this morning. Well, kind of. Didn't realize the Mamba wouldn't mount so thanks to Amazon I ordered the mounting kit which was good because I needed spring seats as well. Next I have to solder on connectors to the Mamba for the battery. Hopefully my iron is up to the task.
    If all goes well I'll be able to run tomorrow and see how it does.

Thanks to everyone that gave info here and other threads to make this less painful. Of course if Castle wasn't out of stock on so much it would have been even better.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

My Mamba Monster X mounted right up in my Slash 4x4 Platinum without added parts. Seems odd the smaller Mamba X would need one.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
    Finally found the Mamba X & 2650Kv motor from A Main and get them in this morning. Well, kind of. Didn't realize the Mamba wouldn't mount so thanks to Amazon I ordered the mounting kit which was good because I needed spring seats as well. Next I have to solder on connectors to the Mamba for the battery. Hopefully my iron is up to the task.
    If all goes well I'll be able to run tomorrow and see how it does.

Thanks to everyone that gave info here and other threads to make this less painful. Of course if Castle wasn't out of stock on so much it would have been even better.
    I had to mount my mamba monster x over a little bit out of the way on a plate with double sided tape, and moved the receiver to the front of the hcg chassis with a stampede box.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    My Mamba Monster X mounted right up in my Slash 4x4 Platinum without added parts. Seems odd the smaller Mamba X would need one.
    My bad I assumed the use of the RPM mounting case. It has been a while and for some reason I thought it came with the ESC for second.

https://www.amazon.com/RPM-73622-Cas...a-569223708689
    Last edited by zedorda; 09-08-2019 at 11:06 AM.

RC Racer

Thumbs up

I had to use the case because the Mamba doesn't have the mounting tabs built on which makes sense since it is after market and not vehicle specific. Not a huge deal, it cam in today, had to trim it a little because the tabs for the on/off switch hit the drive shaft. I also had to move the receiver to the front but it screwed right in where the on board audio would go if equipped.
    Waiting on the spring perches to arrive then the one thing I really didn't think would be an issue - soldering on the battery leads. My iron is only 30w and not nearly enough to heat up whatever solder they use on the Mamba. So now time to shop for a good adjustable iron - if you have recommendations I'm open. I have to do the ESC and I'll replace the leads on the two new batteries I bought that have Dean's connectors so I don't have to use an adapter.

SOME DAY!!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Racer
    I had to use the case because the Mamba doesn't have the mounting tabs built on which makes sense since it is after market and not vehicle specific. Not a huge deal, it cam in today, had to trim it a little because the tabs for the on/off switch hit the drive shaft. I also had to move the receiver to the front but it screwed right in where the on board audio would go if equipped.
    Waiting on the spring perches to arrive then the one thing I really didn't think would be an issue - soldering on the battery leads. My iron is only 30w and not nearly enough to heat up whatever solder they use on the Mamba. So now time to shop for a good adjustable iron - if you have recommendations I'm open. I have to do the ESC and I'll replace the leads on the two new batteries I bought that have Dean's connectors so I don't have to use an adapter.

SOME DAY!!

I bought a $20 kit on amazon and it worked on the mamba monster x leads. I put xt-60 connectors on and those wires were so big I had to put them in the cups and then heat them up. I let a little more solder melt on top of them once it pooled up in the cup from what was tinned on. So far so good for me. Did you get the mamba x and not the mamba monster x? Curious how that setup works for you if so. I may swap my velineon setup over to another castle setup and use the old velineon in my backslash project. My Castle set up is the MMX and 2650kw motor.

RC Racer
    I just saw new thread on soldering irons and there are some nice setups, I just can't bring myself to spend $90+ for one. I did find a few 60w that say they will go to 896* and come with the wide tip so I hope that will work.

I did get the MMX and 2650Kx motor. I didn't even realize there was a regular X.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

I did get the MMX and 2650Kx motor. I didn't even realize there was a regular X.

We have similar setups then. I also had to trim off one of the mounts for the switch for driveshaft clearance.

RC Racer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I need to get a drive shaft like the one you have zedorda, what kind is that?
    I bent my first one about a month ago after driving this for over a year. After one session my new one is bent.

calebgilmore - What chassis is that? It's a lot wider than the Slash.

I'll get a pic or two once I get everything finished up. New soldering iron should be here Tuesday.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Racer
    I bent my first one about a month ago after driving this for over a year. After one session my new one is bent.

I'll get a pic or two once I get everything finished up. New soldering iron should be here Tuesday.
    Him and I both have the Tekno big bone center shaft it looks like. I have it in this one and my velineon. Mine are hcg chassis, I have a lot of rocks and stuff out in podunk Arkansas to deal with when bashing

RC Racer

Which one did you bend? The blue traxxas aluminum one? I was putting it in my backslash but I may have to go big bone again

RC Racer
    It was the blue one. Like I said, it ran for over a year and never had an issue then two in one day. Not even sure how I bent the second one but the first was a 20ish mph head-on into a curb.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Racer
    It was the blue one. Like I said, it ran for over a year and never had an issue then two in one day. Not even sure how I bent the second one but the first was a 20ish mph head-on into a curb.
    I know how reckless I am, Iíll get another big bone then they are $22-25 on amazon

RC Racer
    Just clicked ORDER on mine. Man, a whole week! At least I'll be able to test it before then at slow speed.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Racer
    Just clicked ORDER on mine. Man, a whole week! At least I'll be able to test it before then at slow speed.
    I can always steal one out of my other 2 but Iím still a ways out on other parts for the backslash anyways. The cup on the diff will be bigger than the bearing in the motor plate, so it donít come in and out super easy if the bearing sticks.

RC Competitor
    May I ask why you have a 1/8 power system is a 1/10 are u mainly using it for bashing or just plain power? 1/10 hobby wing systems are good and not as heavy. But looks good tho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 604Slash4x4 View Post
    May I ask why you have a 1/8 power system is a 1/10 are u mainly using it for bashing or just plain power? 1/10 hobby wing systems are good and not as heavy. But looks good tho
    I have the velineon system in one and the 1/8 scale in the other and I noticed the highest temp I saw at 18/54 on 3s the castle motor only made it to 120f doing a lot of long speed runs and I hit 180 with the velineon at 13/54 3s

RC Racer
    From the reading around here it seemed like the best bet for bashing/dirt course and keeping temps low. I just burned up my velineon 2 pole motor and figured if I was replacing it I might as well get something that seems to be an upgrade.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by 604Slash4x4 View Post
    I bash and alittle unofficial racing among friends. I have the 1512 2650kv so it stays cool and still has more power than I need. Since my setup is a Monster Slash I run large tires and also hit extra rough terrain now and then.

RC Racer
    Why do I have a hard time trusting this?

RC Racer
    Saw many of those while shopping around.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Racer
    What a whooping this is. Should be so simple but I have to make everything difficult.

First, I plugged the wire from the esc to the receiver in backwards and nothing would work. So I decided to read the directions and figured out that the brown wire goes to the right, just as the black would.
    Second, I'm lost! Forward = Reverse and Reverse = Forward, yes motor direction is wrong backwards for my application. I see there is a way to program it through the transmitter but either the instructions are a little vague or I'm too hardheaded and it's not sinking in. I'm sure we can ll guess which one it is.

Why do I have to register to get the Castle Link USB? Why isn't it just in the package since it's FREE. UGH, I am such a whiner when it come to trying to use software.

But my new 80w soldering iron made quick work of connecting the Traxxas style plug to the esc!!!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Racer
    What a whooping this is. Should be so simple but I have to make everything difficult.

First, I plugged the wire from the esc to the receiver in backwards and nothing would work. So I decided to read the directions and figured out that the brown wire goes to the right, just as the black would.
    Second, I'm lost! Forward = Reverse and Reverse = Forward, yes motor direction is wrong backwards for my application. I see there is a way to program it through the transmitter but either the instructions are a little vague or I'm too hardheaded and it's not sinking in. I'm sure we can ll guess which one it is.

Why do I have to register to get the Castle Link USB? Why isn't it just in the package since it's FREE. UGH, I am such a whiner when it come to trying to use software.

But my new 80w soldering iron made quick work of connecting the Traxxas style plug to the esc!!!
    You can calibrate the mamba monster x for full forward/backwards and brake by holding the power button down for x amount of time, it should be in the instructions. It may swap it?

RC Racer
    Well I was able to walk myself through the programming to make the one change I needed - reverse the motor direction. When I pulled the trigger the truck went backward and when I pushed it the truck went forward.
    Could be that easy, could it? NOPE! Now when I pull the trigger the light on the esc turns green but the truck doesn't move. When I push the trigger, the truck doesn't move but the the light turns red. When the trigger is not touched the light is yellow.

I need a really thick wall to bang my head against!!
    There's always tomorrow.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Racer
    Didn't make any progress on this so I call Castle this morning.
    My Castle Link adapter came in so we connect through that and set everything back to factory. With the sensor wire plugged in the motor would do nothing. Unplugged the sensor wire and it would act like I was pressing/letting go of the throttle REALLY fast even when just barely pressing it. Joe, the tech, had me swap it out for a different motor (use the Velenion from my other truck) and it turned as smooth as butter.
    Gotta send in the brand new motor for repair/replace. What a whoopin.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Racer
    Didn't make any progress on this so I call Castle this morning.
    My Castle Link adapter came in so we connect through that and set everything back to factory. With the sensor wire plugged in the motor would do nothing. Unplugged the sensor wire and it would act like I was pressing/letting go of the throttle REALLY fast even when just barely pressing it. Joe, the tech, had me swap it out for a different motor (use the Velenion from my other truck) and it turned as smooth as butter.
    Gotta send in the brand new motor for repair/replace. What a whoopin.
    Sheesh! I'd like to upgrade my second truck to a castle system but now I am on the fence hahahahaha. I'd like a 1/8 setup to keep the temps down in it for sure.

RC Racer
    I'm sure it was just one of those flukes. Electronics, they either last forever or fail right away. I just happened to get lucky.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast