Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 226
  1. #1
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174

    I need your experience

    I got a used Ultimate edition. It is in beautiful condition! It has a two pole motor that runs well. I'm thinking of doing this truck differently than sensored El Sob motor system and MIP X-duty axles. Could my fellow forum members please share their experiences with the Taxxas CV axles in their Slash 4x4 trucks? I have been giving it some serious thought. Online I only see negative comments. I called Traxxas and they assure me that they are a quality product. I may buy them and let everyone know how well they do.
    Last edited by El Sob; 09-06-2018 at 07:04 PM.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier Iansprouse1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    441
    what motor/ESC combo you thinking about?
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    110
    I run the Traxxas CV axles and have only had a few problems with them. Which none was related to the item itself. It was early January and I slid into yhe curb, breaking the stub. A $5 replacement part later and I was back. Have not bent or broken them bashing or burning rubber. I have 2 Slash 4x4 with these. One is set up for bashing and the other set up for speed. Once again, I prefer these over the MIPs as these have way fewer moving parts.

    Just my 2 cents.

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by TLXtreme View Post
    I run the Traxxas CV axles and have only had a few problems with them. Which none was related to the item itself. It was early January and I slid into yhe curb, breaking the stub. A $5 replacement part later and I was back. Have not bent or broken them bashing or burning rubber. I have 2 Slash 4x4 with these. One is set up for bashing and the other set up for speed. Once again, I prefer these over the MIPs as these have way fewer moving parts.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Here are a couple of pics of my two rigs I was talking about.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Quote Originally Posted by TLXtreme View Post
    I run the Traxxas CV axles and have only had a few problems with them. Which none was related to the item itself. It was early January and I slid into yhe curb, breaking the stub. A $5 replacement part later and I was back. Have not bent or broken them bashing or burning rubber. I have 2 Slash 4x4 with these. One is set up for bashing and the other set up for speed. Once again, I prefer these over the MIPs as these have way fewer moving parts.

    Just my 2 cents.
    That is what I am looking for! A positive response. I am just wanting to do things a little bit differently. Iansprouse1, I am going to try and make that stock 2 pole motor system live for a.lone time on 3s! I have a heatsink with a fan on the way. Now if the stock motor system dies, I have a four pole Velineon motor system. I also may just jump into the sensored El Sob motor system if the stock motor quits.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    657
    Kevin Talobot (sp?) on YouTube beats the crap out of his. He prefers the Traxxas ones over the MIP's.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    398
    It doesn't matter what you do with your slash, you'll want a . This one upgrade goes a long way when it comes to protecting the driveline and everything really. I bent the center shaft once and it tore up my diffs as well. https://www.vgracing.com/product/Sla...sis_Brace.html
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

  8. #8
    RC Champion FnFancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Los Al California
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    It doesn't matter what you do with your slash, you'll want a . This one upgrade goes a long way when it comes to protecting the driveline and everything really. I bent the center shaft once and it tore up my diffs as well. https://www.vgracing.com/product/Sla...sis_Brace.html
    That's a matter of opinion. I've never ran one, and a few fellow members will say never use a chassis brace on a slash 4x4! It can really cause more damage in a crash.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,537
    ^El Sob is one who would agree!

    He ran a brace when he lost signal and destroyed his rig back in January 2015.

    Found it:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ansmitter!-!!!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,203
    I push mine pretty hard El Sob, so far geared 26/36 and 27/34 they've been fine on 4s and 6s now and then with a castle 2200kv.
    I can't say there indestructible but I can say they seem to be very strong; I don't think we could compare them to the Mip's you enjoy so much on over all strength, but aesthetically gorgeous and strong overall.
    I run a set with 5mm and XO-1 6mm stubs.
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    ^El Sob is one who would agree!

    He ran a brace when he lost signal and destroyed his rig back in January 2015.

    Found it:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ansmitter!-!!!
    Interesting, I've never seem that type of damage before. Personally I prefer replacing A-arms to diffs.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I push mine pretty hard El Sob, so far geared 26/36 and 27/34 they've been fine on 4s and 6s now and then with a castle 2200kv.
    I can't say there indestructible but I can say they seem to be very strong; I don't think we could compare them to the Mip's you enjoy so much on over all strength, but aesthetically gorgeous and strong overall.
    I run a set with 5mm and XO-1 6mm stubs.
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    5hat is exactly what I was hoping to hear! I went and ordered a set for the rear! I have a few more upgrades on the way next week! I had to get the expansion battery kit and I have a few more upgrades on the way next week
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  13. #13
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,169
    I've broken about 4-5 of the VG Racing chassis braces. Never broke anything else, so I feel like they did their job.
    Last edited by RazorRC22; 09-08-2018 at 01:42 AM.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    769
    I've been using the Traxxas Steel constant velocity driveshafts on both my truck and my son's truck for the last four and a half years. My son beats the snot out of his truck and I've never had any issues with the drive shafts. My truck started Life as a racing track only slash 4 x 4, but then I converted it to the Max-D monster truck. Even with those big ole 2.6 sized JConcepts wheels and tires, I still have had no issues.

    Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    I've been using the Traxxas Steel constant velocity driveshafts on both my truck and my son's truck for the last four and a half years. My son beats the snot out of his truck and I've never had any issues with the drive shafts. My truck started Life as a racing track only slash 4 x 4, but then I converted it to the Max-D monster truck. Even with those big ole 2.6 sized JConcepts wheels and tires, I still have had no issues.

    Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    That makes me happy! Everyone knows that I am all about MIP X-Duty axles. I want to try things a little differently. That is why I love this forum! There are a whole lot of great people who are willing to share their experiences with others who have a passion for this hobby! I am looking forward for the axles to get here now!

    RazorRC22, I'm happy that you have had better experience with the chassis brace than I. I will get out of the hobby before I install another chassis brace on my Ultimate edition trucks.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    51
    I have been running XO-1 axles for about a year and half. I have broken an axle 3 times in that time span. Once by sliding into a curb at almost full speed on 3s with a MMX 2650KV combo. This broke the internal half shaft (Part 6751). The other times I have twisted the ball end of the external half shaft (Part 6750) while running on an astro turf indoor track. The axles have been rather reliable for me, but I do carry spares for both parts. I don't like the boots (Part 6757) as they tend to wear or crack easily and the replacement kit is about $15 to $18 dollars at the LHS.

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,203
    5hat is exactly what I was hoping to hear! I went and ordered a set for the rear! I have a few more upgrades on the way next week! I had to get the expansion battery kit and I have a few more upgrades on the way next week
    I hope they treat you well my friend.
    Sometimes it's hard to give opinions on parts since we all have such different driving proclivitys.
    With that said most of your videos are on pavement of some type so I think you'll have good luck with the CVD's.
    I think Mip's are probably the strongest but when you compare the looks of the Traxxas parts it imho is worth a slight trade off; in a strength shoot out Mip's would probably win but not by as much as you'd think by looking at them, in the aesthetic's department Traxxas are beautiful.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    So you run them without the boots? Are there any pins or anything that the boots hold in place? Was it the sheer torque that twisted the ball ends? I really appreciate your response
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I hope they treat you well my friend.
    Sometimes it's hard to give opinions on parts since we all have such different driving proclivitys.
    With that said most of your videos are on pavement of some type so I think you'll have good luck with the CVD's.
    I think Mip's are probably the strongest but when you compare the looks of the Traxxas parts it imho is worth a slight trade off; in a strength shoot out Mip's would probably win but not by as much as you'd think by looking at them, in the aesthetic's department Traxxas are beautiful.
    Coming from you, that means a lot! I value your and everyone's opinions and experiences
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    51
    I went through the original set of boots and a replacement very quickly. I am not sure it they were just old stock and brittle or what. The last set of boots has lasted a lot longer and are still in good shape, there are a couple of pins that the boots help hold in.

    That all being said I took it out today with the 2.8 trenchers and broke two of the external half shaft (Part 6750) while running 3s. Both failed in the same spot by twisting off the ball end. The front right side failed when I gunned it from a stop in a parking lot. The rear right side failed at the skate park. I imagine that wear a tear of the torque has just gotten the best of them.

    I am running the Protrac arms, so I typically run the longer Rustler(TRA6752) half shafts. The standard XO-1 will work in a pinch, at least with my setup. But the Rustler ones fit better and have better engagement when the suspension is at full droop.

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    I got a package in the mail! It only took about a day to get to me. So here is a picture of the goodies I got for my new, old Ultimate edition

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    769
    SWEEET!

    Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,537
    Nice! Can't wait to see your new creation when complete!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Thank you! I'm going to try and keep it stock like for awhile. I know that will be hard for me to do. I am still wanting to throw a sensored El Sob special motor system in it. For now I'm going to let that two pole system try to shine! I am sure that I will soon build some XO-1 differentials for it
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,203
    It's always a good day when the mail man brings goodys.
    I think it brings the little boy/girl out in most of us; I know I'll watch a tracking number everyday and make sure (if possible) I'm home when they show up.
    Best of luck with those perrttyy axle's.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  26. #26
    RC Champion lektro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia Beach/ South USA !
    Posts
    1,922
    Ha ha Who are you kidding El Sob. even you just said try. You are doomed already! New cvds, hot racing bell crank. Hmmm Wonder what's next. Spill the beans. That's a nice rig. I am sure you will like the Traxxas cvds. I run them on my rusty with cc2650 geared 24/36 and have been flawless. Congrats and have fun with it sir!!!!
    Choose Life !!!

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    It's always a good day when the mail man brings goodys.
    I think it brings the little boy/girl out in most of us; I know I'll watch a tracking number everyday and make sure (if possible) I'm home when they show up.
    Best of luck with those perrttyy axle's.
    You are right! I have the tracking numbers on my phone and watch all the time. Hoping they come early!
    Lektro, I have a heatsink with a fan on it's way. I already installed the battery tray expansion kit, after that, I'm just going to drive it
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  28. #28
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    So I got all of my parts in! I have them all put on also! This is all I am doing to the truck for awhile. I also upgraded the receiver to a TSM receiver and was able to do some adjustments to the Ultimate edition. Of course I have pictures
    I didn't bring a good lipo to work with me so I wasn't able to give it a good workout. Tomorrow will be a different story

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    So I got all of my parts in! I have them all put on also! This is all I am doing to the truck for awhile. I also upgraded the receiver to a TSM receiver and was able to do some adjustments to the Ultimate edition. Of course I have pictures
    I didn't bring a good lipo to work with me so I wasn't able to give it a good workout. Tomorrow will be a different story

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Looks really awesome! I hope you have a great time and everything goes well tomorrow!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Quote Originally Posted by ati View Post
    Looks really awesome! I hope you have a great time and everything goes well tomorrow!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you! I'm going to take it to work and see what she does! I have a few students who want me to help them fix their Slash 4x4 trucks
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    555

    I need your experience

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Thank you! I'm going to take it to work and see what she does! I have a few students who want me to help them fix their Slash 4x4 trucks
    Youíve spread the addiction! Haha.
    Which grade do you teach?
    Do they bring their trucks to school?

  32. #32
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Quote Originally Posted by ati View Post
    Youíve spread the addiction! Haha.
    Which grade do you teach?
    Do they bring their trucks to school?
    I have a seventh, eighth grade combination class. Some of them are starting to. I want to start an R/C Club at the school! I already have the administration on my side
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier Iansprouse1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have a seventh, eighth grade combination class. Some of them are starting to. I want to start an R/C Club at the school! I already have the administration on my side
    Thatís when I got my first rc! What a good time to get started in the hobby!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

  34. #34
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    555

    I need your experience

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have a seventh, eighth grade combination class. Some of them are starting to. I want to start an R/C Club at the school! I already have the administration on my side
    I might be a little bit biased, but it Sounds like a brilliant idea! I canít express how much I would love a teacher like you who would be willing to host an R/C club. I personally have done 3 times my fair share of research and know just about everything I could know about my sl4sh. The addiction really hit me hard!
    But, I think it would be great for the kids to have someone as experienced as you helping them out. It would really boost their learning curve!

    Good luck with the club!

    -Alexander
    Last edited by ati; 09-11-2018 at 08:06 AM.

  35. #35
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Thank you Iansprouse1 and ati! I would rather see the kids doing something that gets them outside. It also involves problem solving skills to diagnose what is wrong with the truck. I had four students that completed a assignment and the rest of the class did not. Their reward was to be able to drive my Ultimate edition for forty-five minutes by themselves! They loved it♡
    Last edited by El Sob; 09-11-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  36. #36
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have a seventh, eighth grade combination class. Some of them are starting to. I want to start an R/C Club at the school! I already have the administration on my side
    Nice! My school has a Automotive Club as well as Automotive Class and Shop Class. RC's are fully welcome in the Automotive Club.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

  37. #37
    RC Qualifier Iansprouse1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Thank you Iansprouse1 and ati! I would rather see the kids doing something that gets them outside. It also involves problem solving skills to diagnose what is wrong with the truck. I had four students that completed a assignment and the rest of the class did not. Their reward was to be able to drive my Ultimate edition for forty-five minutes by themselves! They loved it♡
    Perfect way to do a durability test for your rigs. If the kids canít break it nobody can


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

  38. #38
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Man! I will say this, " This Ultimate edition is just all kinds of fun! " I drove it for an hour straight on a 11.1 6000mah lipo and it still has 3.7v per cell! It has great acceleration and handles great! The stock tires provide good traction on the tar over pavement parking lot. I am really happy with this truck! The Hot Racing steering took most of the slop from the front end. I did the same mods I used in my other Ultimate edition ( That one is still working as good as the day I installed it ). With the Yeah Racing fan and heatsink combination, the motor never reached over 135į and today was in the 80's! I'm thinking of more ways to reward the students for doing well so they can drive the truck
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  39. #39
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Here are a few pictures of the Ultimate edition at school! The kids love driving and playing with it

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  40. #40
    RC Qualifier Trentbaby65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    438
    My body used to look like that.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •