Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    I got it! Final drive ratios and roll out. Teach the mathematics and pose a question with spur/pinion, ring and pinion and tire diameters. Those who get the correct answer get to drive the truck!
    I know i'd enjoy that in school! Problem is, i'm homeschooling.
    I like free stuff!

Congrats on the relocation! I grew up in KY, outside of Louisville, just a couple hours south. Have you eaten at Cracker Barrel, yet? I miss that place. Enjoy the rest of the chilly winter and the coming spring thunderstorms, but be prepared to seal up the windows and crank up the AC when that summer humidity sets in. You might find yourself tooling on your RC's more inside during the summer, than out on a deck.
    I can appreciate moving there for affordable living, though. We lived in St. Louis for 4 years, because of my job, and had a really cool, 3-level brick house, which we were able to buy and finish rehabbing, all for just $100K. It was in the inner city, though, and in not so great a neighborhood, but the point is that that same house would cost nearly $1M if it was in Seattle. We came back six years ago, and managed to live in a 2-br apartment for six years, but having a 3rd child complicated that arrangement. Over the past year we considered moving back to the Midwest, but finally found a decent little home out in the country(but still within commuting distance to work), here in WA State, with an acre of land, sufficient for my kids to run around on, for less than $250K. It was pretty much a last resort, because WA housing market is really bad, too.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have been trying to come up with a lesson plan that would be of use to the students and rc. If I can get it together it will be a lot of fun for everyone!
    Hey are you still using the Traxxas CVD's ? How do you like them over the MIP XDuty's? I have 2 sets of MIP Xduty's and was wondering on those for a new build.

This time I'm teaching fourth grade. So I need to keep the lesson on track with elementary school. Gear ratios are a little bit out of their league yet.
    Rcdabbler, thank you! I miss the Bay Area but being a homeowner is a beautiful thing. My wife and I figure we will give it five years and if we like it, we'll stay here. If we don't like it, we will move back to the Bay. We will have earned some equity in the house and will help with the relocation.
    TundraLu, I am still using the Traxxas CV axles! So far so good. I'm sure sometime in the spring time I will be installing the Mamba X esc and sensored 5mm shaft 2400kv motor in the new Ultimate edition! With 5he stock motor system they have been amazing! When I put the 2400 in it, it will get a proper torture test
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Cool thread, I enjoyed the read. Congrats on the new house and two thumbs up for sharing the RC as incentive for learning/learning tool.

Due to trying to get used to the cold, I have not been doing much with my own trucks lately. The other day I decided to go outside for a minute. I had a good time running a lipo through the New Ultimate edition. The lipo for as my daughter calls Truckie had a little charge, so I got to run down the street once before it died. I did take pictures to show the forum I still have my truck

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Is that a lake behind your house?
    Truck looks awesome.

Time to get a M41 Cat!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

During to the pond in my back yard, I don't have a huge amount of land. So a Cat would be a waste of time. My R/C boat will probably be spending a lot of time in the water

You should try and get your sl4sh to hydroplane ... Unless it sinks
    I like free stuff!

RC Competitor
    In 4th grade you can maybe do distance = rate x time and have the kids measure the speed in feet per second with training mode on and without then convert to mph.

One thing I wish corporate Traxxas did better was provide curriculum support for various aspects of the vehicles. These things are rolling science projects but I’m unaware of any available teaching tie ins. One thing Mattel is good about with Hot Wheels is providing lesson plans and ideas for teachers. It exposes kids to the toys and makes for smarter kids who grow up to be able to buy even more toys for their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by BMcD308 View Post
    In 4th grade you can maybe do distance = rate x time and have the kids measure the speed in feet per second with training mode on and without then convert to mph.

One thing I wish corporate Traxxas did better was provide curriculum support for various aspects of the vehicles. These things are rolling science projects but I’m unaware of any available teaching tie ins. One thing Mattel is good about with Hot Wheels is providing lesson plans and ideas for teachers. It exposes kids to the toys and makes for smarter kids who grow up to be able to buy even more toys for their kids.
    That is not a bad idea. I plan to get with another teacher this week and brainstorm a way to fit it into the curriculum. The time I brought it with me, the kids were extremely interested! If nothing else, the P. E. teacher and I could make an obstacle course for the kids to run

RC Competitor
    There are two things I think Traxxas could/should do to increase the size of the market. First, as mentioned above, is providing common core compatible teaching aids for various grades like Mattel does with Hot Wheels. My kid is in first grade, and he knows that a HW car that starts higher on the hill has more potential energy and will jump further from the ramp at the bottom of the hill due to its increased kinetic energy. He learned that in kindergarten based on a Mattel-provided teacher's guide. Traxxas could do that all the way up through high school. I remember building a potato battery in chemistry class. It would have been cool if my teacher had used that as an opportunity to teach me about the chemical reactions that occur in a LiPo cell (if those had existed back then). These cars involve physics, chemistry, electronics, coding, radio waves, friction, rolling resistance, and mathematics from simple arithmetic to differential calculus.

Second would be providing resources to help convince local parks departments to build tracks. There is a skatepark here - no RCs allowed. There is a public BMX track - no RCs allowed. There are a couple of mountain bike pump tracks that no one ever uses, and I take my kids to those to drive their trucks. I would love to have some guidance as to how to approach the city about allowing RCs at the skatepark or even how to develop an off road track on public property. We have a capped landfill that is just waiting for someone to do something with it, but I'm afraid if I propose something the whole idea will get shot down to my own lack of information on insurance risks, potential participants, etc.

I can't help but think that if Traxxas would support (or do more to support, if those resources are available but I don't know about them) teachers using RCs in class, more kids would get into RC. I also can't help but think that if Traxxas would promote (again, or do more to promote, if those resources are available but I don't know about them) the development of municipal tracks or bashing areas or even crawling areas, more people would get involved in RC.

It seems that the local hobby shops are solely responsible for developing interest in the hobby, and that's a big burden to put on the local brick and mortar retailers, who are struggling as-is. As the retail model changes away from brick and mortar stores to online, it will inevitably fall to manufacturers to drive local markets for their products.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    If I recall correctly (my memory isn't what it once was) I used a drill bit but the amount needed removing was nothing a file couldn't have handled.
    I was doing the mod with a HR Double Up; having more then six pegs made enlarging a few more (I did them all as well) holes necessary.
    I originally did it while waiting for six aluminum pads to arrive, that was about 3 years ago; the aluminum pads are still sitting in the bags.
    Definitely a worth wild mod.
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    What kind of slipper clutch is that and do you happen to have part numbers?

Sent from my SM-J327R4 using Tapatalk
    "Theres not bad people, just bad choices."

Oh almost forgot can you use the tmaxx Brake disc with the revo slipper clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by NOFTCHX View Post
    Oh almost forgot can you use the tmaxx Brake disc with the revo slipper clutch?
    The brake disk is part number Tra4964. As for the other parts needed to do the Revo slipper, I'm not sure. I got a slipper from a Rustler 4x4. The mod has been working quite well. I may take it apart just to show the forum how it has been wearing. Before I moved I drove the truck for one our a day five days a week.

Awesome. Do you use a hot racing slipper clutch? If you do would you know the part number? What do you think is better the traxxas revo slipper clutch or the hot racing slipper clutch?

RC Racer
    Awesome. Do you use a hot racing slipper clutch? If you do would you know the part number? What do you think is better the traxxas revo slipper clutch or the hot racing slipper clutch?
    I have the Revo slipper with aluminum pads and it has been great so far. The HR slipper is part number TRX15GP. also works great. I am just getting my Slash back up and moving after letting it sit for little over a year. finally getting the Mamaba Max/1515 2650 KV combo installed.

If you're set on a slipper, I highly recommend checking out the Robinson Racing Slipper Unit. You would need to use a hardened steel pinion, but I haven't had any problems. I put this in my Rusty 4x4, and I've raced it without any incidents (except for a rear driveshaft matter, which was caused by another driver crashing into me).

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

The brake disk is part number Tra4964. As for the other parts needed to do the Revo slipper, I'm not sure. I got a slipper from a Rustler 4x4. The mod has been working quite well. I may take it apart just to show the forum how it has been wearing. Before I moved I drove the truck for one our a day five days a week.
    Pictures would be appreciated alot

Pictures would be appreciated alot
    What exactly would you like to see pictures of? It would give me a reason to take my truck apart
    Last edited by El Sob; 03-23-2019 at 07:48 AM.

It has been a long time since I have posted anything here. Well due to me having too much fun playing with the wildlife and my pond I have decided that I am going to replace every bearing on the new Ultimate edition. The last time I drove it out of the pond, I did the usual of rinsing it off on setting it under a big fan to help it dry. I came back the next day and the drivetrain was frozen. So as to not do any further damage to the truck I went to the internet, cashed in some coupons and was able to get a complete bearing set and sixty spare 5x11x4 bearings for less than $20.00! I will try to take pictures as I replace parts. Since I will have the truck apart, i have some of the blue GTR shocks, the darker grey chassis, 2075x steering servo and the RPM front bulkhead that I will probably be installing on the truck

So I wanted to let everyone see what the truck looks like now. It's not too bad. There is some rust on the screws. If you look at the spur gear, it looks like some rust on it. The last picture is of all of the parts that I plan to put on it! Now i just need to find the time to complete the project.

I have been trying to locate my extra screws. That way if I see one that I too rusty I have one ready to take it's place. I hope to start this project by next week

RC Enthusiast
    That Fox body looks amazing... Plus with that wheel/tire combo

But I've been seriously considering the Revo/T-maxx slipper upgrade as well. Seems like a relatively cheap and safe upgrade that will be very beneficial.

Well, I got the front end rebuilt! I replaced all of the bearings, put on new shocks and greased the ring and pinion gears.

RC poster
    Good job ElSob. You still liking those Traxxas driveshafts?

Nice... I love the way the RPM front bulkhead looks from the bottom!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Jimmy, so far so good! They are doing their job well! Jimbo, I also like the look of the RPM bulkhead

So I also did some work to the rear bulkhead. Changed the bearings, greased the ring and pinion and put on the new blue shocks

So I am getting close to being finished with my truck! As you can see, I just need to get the new steering servo connected. The original one has the wires zip tied inside the receiver box. I'm trying to find my zip ties so I can try and keep everything neat in the box. I also bought some new RPM nerf bars. Waiting on those to come in the mail. I noticed that the color of the new chassis and the 2075x servo are just about the same.

She is now finished! With the exception of the RPM nerf bars she is good to go! It took a little time and care but it was worth while Everything works perfectly. I had to be sure that the telemetry was still operational. Have to keep a close eye on things

RC poster
    Let er rip taterchip !!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHog View Post
    Let er rip taterchip !!
    I do need to get a new video of her running!
    Well I got my RPM nerf bars in today! So I quickly put them on the truck. Now I am finished with what I planned to do. I'm still keeping the new El Sob special motor system in the back of my mind

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345