Thread: Best Ramp 2019?

RC poster

Lightbulb Best Ramp 2019?

Hello,

Background: I do bashing in parks and some of them are pretty flat so I wanted to ask the community about your best DIY idea to make some ramp to allow for some back flips :-)
    Criteria would be volume (anything foldable?) and weight (plastic panel?) because I would carry that in my backpack, since I come by foot.

What's your best invention to make a ramp?
    You will have all my gratitude :-)

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    I have often though about making a ramp out of that corrugated plastic like real estate and political signs are made of. If it had enough internal supper and folds it could disassemble and for in a backpack.

RC Competitor
    Engineering it to support the weight and force of a slash doing 30 to 50 mph without deforming will be a interesting problem to overcome. Especially with the added specifications of being light, collapsing and small enough for a backpack.

I’m interested to see where this goes.

RC Qualifier
    I do know that the plastic corrugated sheets (similar as the signs) can hold a lot of weight. They use the material for packaging. Basically a cube box that is collapsible and used in tractor trailers during freight transport. We called them opti-packs. I've personally stacked them and ours could hold 3,000lbs of weight. As Dakratfink suggested, that's the route I would go, light material and collapsible. Designing the frame with pieces that interlock would be the easy part. Keeping the sides from bending is the key. Designing the top part from moving would be one challenge (you would need to use some sort of wire or string?) And the second challenge would be finding a way the whole thing was fastened to the ground and not move around. You wouldn't have to worry about the second challenge so much if it was a shallow straight ramp, but a curved upward one like a skatepark would be tough to fasten down. Maybe able to place the ramp up against something?

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

RC Qualifier

Best Ramp 2019?

There is a company on instgram that makes ramps for rc. They look really nice. I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit: rcbashramp.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ati View Post
    There is a company on instgram that makes ramps for rc. They look really nice. I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit: rcbashramp.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At $230 for an RC ramp I see why they are starting on instagram. I made a ramp with some shelf supports and a warped piece of oak plywood that was marked down at Home Depot. In all it cost less than $40. Would be easily to disassemble and pack up but the ramp surface itself. You could possibly build it with a 2 piece ramp surface I guess.

RC poster
    Thank you, all, for your ideas !
    @zedorda: I can picture the same, with possibly some foldable /bendable legs I could push into the grass/ground to add stability (a sort of soil-TSM :-))

RC Racer
    Not exactly what you’re looking for, but some good design ideas for a self made ramp...

You can search “Racing High Speed Jumper Platform”

RC Qualifier

Quote Originally Posted by Watt_The_Wheels View Post
    Thank you, all, for your ideas !
    @zedorda: I can picture the same, with possibly some foldable /bendable legs I could push into the grass/ground to add stability (a sort of soil-TSM :-))
    Yeah I been debating attaching a bar across the ends of the legs because they to tend to plant themselves into soft surfaces.

RC poster
    Also, other ideas to consider if you're planning to make your own ramp:
    - A brand called "Roll-A-Ramp" (you can guess their products)
    - Curb ramps for cars
    - Wheel chock blocks

Maybe you can scale this one down to work:
    https://issuu.com/hobbytown/docs/ho_issue_2

See pages 36-39.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Depending on how far you want to carry them and if you want a long or wide ramp, you can use 2'x3' 1/4" plywood, couple hinges and some rope. I think mine are 24x36x1/4... I should measure them as it seems I forget how long 4 feet are.

You make a V by joining the top of 2 peices with hinges, then to figure out the ramp angle, you drill holes on both sides of the plywood on the opposite ends, then use rope to limit how far the V opens. You end up with a 2 way ramp that can be hit in either direction. Simple, easy to carry, cheap. Only downside is you don't have a curve to it.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    @Squeegie: thanks! Printed to get more thoughts on this
    @olds97_lss: thanks. I also like this idea, since that opens the door to different and multiple angles, depending on where you drill holes. That will not break the bank either :-)

You all got the 1st Prize: my full gratitude :-))

Quote Originally Posted by Watt_The_Wheels View Post
    @Squeegie: thanks! Printed to get more thoughts on this
    @olds97_lss: thanks. I also like this idea, since that opens the door to different and multiple angles, depending on where you drill holes. That will not break the bank either :-)

You all got the 1st Prize: my full gratitude :-))
    Doesn't matter much where you drill the holes, but the length of rope is what controls the angle, so if you left extra, you could adjust it however you want. I'd put the rope holes at the middle or closer to the ground so it doesn't stretch and change much on you as you use it.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    I'm looking to do something similar, here are 2 I found that I may copy...

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/f...mp-build.3940/

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk