Hot Racing steering bellcranks

I went and got the HOT Racing steering bell cranks for my On Board Audio Ultimate Edition. It has removed almost all of the slop from the steering! I saw another forum member whose Steering bell cranks were brass bushings were worn out. He used a standard shoulder screw to solve his problem. I'm thinking of something else

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I should have taken more pictures as I built it. What I did was to glue the brass bushings into the holes of the center link. I then put copious amounts of grease on the screws threads that go into the brass bushings. Finally I used Super Glue Professional Liquid to secure the screws into place. I have run it a few times now. There is no slop or signs of wear. So far I am very happy with this setup

RC poster
    How about a 'how to' with pics ... please... When you get time.
    Sorry but Im a bit slow and blonde and those pics didnt help much, but it sounds like you got crakin good steering now. What servo btw?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    *Blind* not blonde - darned auto correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    How about a 'how to' with pics ... please... When you get time.
    Sorry but Im a bit slow and blonde and those pics didnt help much, but it sounds like you got crakin good steering now. What servo btw?

When I get time I will pull the front bulkhead off. That should yield a better set of pictures. I am using tra2075x for a servo.

Do these pictures make things a little more clear? I'm giving it a nice over to make sure everything is still working well

RC poster
    I just did the same with the hot racing adjustable bell crank. But I did leave one piece plastic in the servo horn. Haven't run it as of yet. But you can see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ontariobasser View Post
    I just did the same with the hot racing adjustable bell crank. But I did leave one piece plastic in the servo horn. Haven't run it as of yet. But you can see the difference.
    What piece of plastic did you leave? Is it the part the goes in the middle?

RC Competitor
    the slop in mine comes from the metal bar that goes under the diff.

RC poster
    The peice that directly touches the servo. I believe it's called the servo horn? At this point I haven't found a reason to change it.

The peice that directly touches the servo. I believe it's called the servo horn? At this point I haven't found a reason to change it.
    The Hot Racing steering bell cranks doesn't come with the part that is attached to the servo. I have always used the stock one. I may look for one made of aluminum.

As a small update, my steering bell cranks are still doing amazingly well! Still very happy with them

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The Hot Racing steering bell cranks doesn't come with the part that is attached to the servo. I have always used the stock one. I may look for one made of aluminum.

As a small update, my steering bell cranks are still doing amazingly well! Still very happy with them
    That's correct. I did come across a video of a aluminum part from LTR team losi (servo horn)that was recommended on YouTube.
    Problem is it will hurt the stock servo seeing there will be no give with all that aluminum.

Isn't that what the spring loaded servo saver is for?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

FYI, the TLR horn is threaded for a 4-40 SAE ball stud. Trust me, I've got about 6 of them for my TLR cars. I believe the Slash is metric, but not 100% sure.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Back in March 2017, I had purchased the aluminum Losi servo horn as recommended by people here. The horn fits fine on the servo (25T), but thanks to RazorRC22's heads-up (thank you ), I was prepared and tapped the other end to fit the screw from the steering linkage. I don't remember what it was off hand... M2 or M3.

It has served me well with no problems.

I may have to give that a try. I ran four lipos through my truck this morning and the bell cranks are still doing great! There is a slight bit of slop in the steering arm. I will tighten it really good and see what happens.

RC Racer
    This one fits with no mods, Losi Servo Horn, 25T, Aluminum: 22 TLR1557

Quote Originally Posted by Speed freak #1 View Post
    This one fits with no mods, Losi Servo Horn, 25T, Aluminum: 22 TLR1557
    Not trying to be "Mr. Correct" but that horn does require a tapping of the thread. I just bought 2 more of them last week and I had to tap them just like I did my others. It will require a 3mil tap OR you can just use an M3 screw (like one of the many your Slash comes with) and some light oil and tap it with the screw. That is not the best way but if you don't have a tap & die set, it will suffice. It takes some elbow grease but it is definitely possible.

-Shack

Last edited by shack351; 09-16-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Not trying to be "Mr. Correct" but that horn does require a tapping of the thread. I just bought 2 more of them last week and I had to tap them just like I did my others. It will require a 3mil tap OR you can just use an M3 screw (like one of the many your Slash comes with) and some light oil and tap it with the screw. That is not the best way but if you don't have a tap & die set, it will suffice. It takes some elbow grease but it is definitely possible.

-Shack

Yup, that does work. The hilarious part is that the other way does NOT work. Trying to thread the Losi ballstud into a metric aluminum horn won't work. Ask me how I know. Or in this case, didn't know.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Yup, that does work. The hilarious part is that the other way does NOT work. Trying to thread the Losi ballstud into a metric aluminum horn won't work. Ask me how I know. Or in this case, didn't know.
    Hey brother,

Trying to remember the fitment of every piece, from mod to mod, would require you to be Dr. Spock! I happened to recently need a couple of horns for some new builds and since I like the Losi 1557, even though I knew it had to be tapped, I bought it again. It takes minutes to mod and is a solid piece. I'm using one of mine on a heavy, 5th-scale powered rig with a 347 oz-in servo and it works great.

-Shack

-Shack

It looks like this may be my next new part! I have ran maybe fifteen lipos through my truck since my last post. The bell cranks are still perfect. I have noticed a slight movement from the plastic arm attached to the servo. The screw is perfectly tight so the metal gears of the servo are probably starting to wear on the plastic. Thank you for providing the pictures. Now I know the part numbers. I have used Traxxas screws to tap Integy heatsinks. I will probably have to do the same with this part since I don't have a tap set.

That's the part I use on my rigs!

RC Qualifier
    Yup, I use the TLR#1557 too (and had to tap the hole with a M3 tap). There's also room for a locknut on the underside, if you prefer.
    This one also look like it would fit (maybe someone can confirm it...):
    http://www.exotekracing.com/ae-heavy...orn-7075-f-25/

I've had great success with Hudy servo horns, but haven't tried one for the LCG. This one may fit, but I can't confirm the length of it:
    https://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/...8&kategoria=67
    Last edited by Viking; 09-18-2017 at 10:42 AM.

It looks like this may be my next new part! I have ran maybe fifteen lipos through my truck since my last post. The bell cranks are still perfect. I have noticed a slight movement from the plastic arm attached to the servo. The screw is perfectly tight so the metal gears of the servo are probably starting to wear on the plastic. Thank you for providing the pictures. Now I know the part numbers. I have used Traxxas screws to tap Integy heatsinks. I will probably have to do the same with this part since I don't have a tap set.
    That's the same reason I originally changed my first one out. There was a little "play" in the horn-to-servo plastic splines and this baby cleared that right up. As easy as it is to mod, I think it's a good upgrade for less than $10. I don't know the exact type of alloy used to create the part but it tested to have a Brinell Hardness of about 150. It's no rhenium but it's a tough piece for aluminum! All of my rigs now have the Losi horn because I believe it is one of those few parts that you install and don't need to worry about again. I'll pay 10 bucks for that!

-Shack

That's the same reason I originally changed my first one out. There was a little "play" in the horn-to-servo plastic splines and this baby cleared that right up. As easy as it is to mod, I think it's a good upgrade for less than $10. I don't know the exact type of alloy used to create the part but it tested to have a Brinell Hardness of about 150. It's no rhenium but it's a tough piece for aluminum! All of my rigs now have the Losi horn because I believe it is one of those few parts that you install and don't need to worry about again. I'll pay 10 bucks for that!

-Shack
    That is for sure going to be my next upgrade. For now I am dealing with the small amount of slop but in a week or two I will be adding that new part. Has anyone tried using all metal turnbuckles? The stock plastic wears. I want to see if there is a way to have it tight for an extended period of time.

Hey ElSob, are you still running the stock servo? I have replaced the gears with the the metal ones and still had a small amount of play. I even replaced the case as thought it was worn. I also replaced the horn with an aluminum one.
    Even with doing all of this there is still a little play.
    Slash 4x4 Tekin RX8GenII w/Pro4 4300hd

Traxxas just released a new video yesterday on how to replace the servo gears:

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Traxxas just released a new video yesterday on how to replace the servo gears
    A little late since people have been putting the savox metal gears in the stock servos for a while now...
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

Quote Originally Posted by Miltdoggie View Post
    A little late since people have been putting the savox metal gears in the stock servos for a while now...
    Lol, too true.

I replaced mine in my 2075 last year, then just decided I needed more torque and upgraded the whole thing.
    "Gone racing"

Quote Originally Posted by Miltdoggie View Post
    I know, but this is by Traxxas for Traxxas.

Just thought people might want to know.

Actually I'm running the Tra2075x servo. I have been extremely happy with it

Actually I'm running the Tra2075x servo. I have been extremely happy with it
    Me too. There is a little play with the 2075 in the gears. I don't have any problems with a little play. I feel it is a requirement to have the truck track properly. Just wanted to show others that a little play is good from the performance side.
    Slash 4x4 Tekin RX8GenII w/Pro4 4300hd

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Traxxas just released a new video yesterday on how to replace the servo gears:

Thanks for posting that.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmogman View Post
    Me too. There is a little play with the 2075 in the gears. I don't have any problems with a little play. I feel it is a requirement to have the truck track properly. Just wanted to show others that a little play is good from the performance side.
    Mine really doesn't have any play in it. It is pretty tight. I have been extremely happy with the servo. It has been a great upgrade

I have run another eight lipos through my truck since my last post. The steering is still just perfect! When I decide to pull it apart I will try marine grease on the brass bushings. Standard grease works great so marine should be even better

It has been awhile since I have looked at the bell cranks. So I decided to take a peek. While there is some wear, it's not too bad. This time I have pictures
    You can see that the grease has done it's job

RC Racer
    It has been awhile since I have looked at the bell cranks. So I decided to take a peek. While there is some wear, it's not too bad. This time I have pictures
    You can see that the grease has done it's job
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing! I'm was about to install this tonight but backed out about half way through and reassembled. Maybe this weekend.

It has been a long time since I have put anything here. So I have put some new pictures here so everyone can see that the Hot Racing steering bellcranks are still just as good as new! I still highly recommend them!
    Last edited by El Sob; 12-12-2019 at 09:17 PM.