Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    As a replacement servo, I am going to use a spare 2075 that I have laying around. After I get my replacement servo, I may put metal gears in this one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion
    Once I put the metal gears inside of my stock 2075, I haven't had any problems at all in the last 3 years. $12 well spent

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    Once I put the metal gears inside of my stock 2075, I haven't had any problems at all in the last 3 years. $12 well spent

I'm happy to hear that! I have another servo on the way but it is nice to know that my spare will be just fine

Another adventure in the snow

I have the exact same car, and I can tell you It's extremely durable and fast. The components are very sturdy, except for the front suspension arm, I have broken quite a couple (I think 5) of those from high-speed collisions. It fell in my pool once and was submerged for full 5 min. All I had to replace was the receiver and servo. Its a very nice and high-quality truck, and you definitely made the right decision.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

I installed the new steering servo! I lubricated the Hot Racing steering bellcranks. She is ready for the next time I decide to take her out

For a long time now, I have been curious about why my Slipper clutch would bounce all over the area between the chassis and bulkhead. So I took it apart and saw this! So I replaced the part and immediately noticed that there is a considerable difference in how smooth it now is. So it looks to be a bad cast job. It's fixed now!!!

So I decided that I would add aluminum hex to my aluminum rims. The plastic hex didn't seem like it had the strength to handle what I was throwing at it.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    For a long time now, I have been curious about why my Slipper clutch would bounce all over the area between the chassis and bulkhead. So I took it apart and saw this! So I replaced the part and immediately noticed that there is a considerable difference in how smooth it now is. So it looks to be a bad cast job. It's fixed now!!!

Mine wiggles around in there too. So how exactly did you fix this, Iím not quite understanding.

RC poster
    Yea my slash already 3 years still running great just made my first axles rebuilding I mean I cleared all grease and changed all bearing, aluminum a arms, sand paddles, new toyota tundra proline body, all I changed was a arms, bearings, driveshaft, and center diff, runs great its lgc

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Slash...2135982&sr=8-9. Best and cheapest bearing I ever got
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-14-2020 at 02:38 AM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtim29 View Post
    Mine wiggles around in there too. So how exactly did you fix this, I’m not quite understanding.
    If you take a good look at the picture you will see that the plate is broken. When I replaced that part, it allowed everything to realign itself. So now it spins like it should.

I have something new for my newest Ultimate edition! I have been waiting for a long time and it is finally here!

RC Champion
    I have something new for my newest Ultimate edition! I have been waiting for a long time and it is finally here!

NICE! Stand by to get some!

Here is the open box! Time to solder on a Traxxas connector and get this installed

RC Enthusiast
    Sweet!! Mine will be here Monday.

HUGH
    Every day is a gift.. Enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by HHARRIS View Post
    Sweet!! Mine will be here Monday.

HUGH
    Congratulations!! I just finished soldering my Traxxas connector on so now I have the task of switching over all of the telemetry and mounting the esc. These are exciting times

RC Qualifier
    Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash Ultimate 4x4, MMX-2200kv/Slash 4x4, MMX-2650

So I started to work on my new motor system today! I started by unplugging everything in the receiver box at 12:20 pm. Next ihad the motor mounted, telemetry installed and gear mesh perfect by 13:30. By 12:38 I had the esc mocked up and running the wires. By 1:31 I had everything installed, the telemetry perfectly working, everything buttoned up and the job finished

Very nice!

Have fun, be safe, and keep healthy!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    The O.G. El Sob special motor system was the ET-3S esc and 2400kv motor from the Traxxas Funny Car. The next generation was the Mamba Max Pro and 2400kv motor from Castle Creations. The El Sob special 2.0 is the Mamba X esc and the sensored 2400kv 5mm shaft motor from Castle Creations. If you were interested, I do have a Slash 4x4 trucks that are running each of the aforementioned motor systems
    El Sob - I'm thinking about getting your 2.0 special but don't know jack about installation and don't have a solder. How drop in ready is your new system going? Also, do you have any videos you could share with it running in your Slash 4x4?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffucd View Post
    El Sob - I'm thinking about getting your 2.0 special but don't know jack about installation and don't have a solder. How drop in ready is your new system going? Also, do you have any videos you could share with it running in your Slash 4x4?
    Besides needing to solder the battery connector it is pretty plug and play. May I ask where you live in the Bay Area? I used to live in El Sobrante.

RC Competitor
    Besides needing to solder the battery connector it is pretty plug and play. May I ask where you live in the Bay Area? I used to live in El Sobrante.

OK thanks. I'll see if I can get some help on the soldering from the local shop.

I'm in Marin County, so pretty close to your old stomping grounds. Any spots in that area you recommend for bashing?

Thanks for sharing the video - that thing moves!

OK thanks. I'll see if I can get some help on the soldering from the local shop.

I'm in Marin County, so pretty close to your old stomping grounds. Any spots in that area you recommend for bashing?

Thanks for sharing the video - that thing moves!
    If you are in Marin, San Rafael High School has a nice parking lot to run in. If you go to Berkeley the race track Golden Gate Lanes is an excellent choice for running your truck. In Cordilla there is an almost empty business park next to the Costco. That is a nice place to run. The Costco in Vacaville has a lot of unused parking that is a good place to run. I'll post a video from there. Most of the schools in El Sobrante are good places to run your truck.
    Last edited by El Sob; 03-28-2020 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Very nice!

Have fun, be safe, and keep healthy!
    Thank you my friend, this is helping me keep my sanity during this quarantine!

So I took my truck out for its maiden voyage! That is when I noticed something was wrong. The truck was making a high pitched squeal. So I brought it back to the house. I had the telemetry connected so I was able to check the vitals. The motor was 108į but the truck had a weird smell to and It didn't roll very freely. I took it apart. I took the front bulkhead off and checked for binding. Everything in the front was good so I took off the rear bulkhead. The rear bulkhead was good so I dove into the slipper clutch. When I removed the slipper clutch the truck moved freely. So I checked the bearing in the motor mount. It spun freely. I noticed that the slipper clutch couldn't be tightened. So I tore it apart and saw that the bearing that in the center of the clutch assembly blew up! I replaced the bearing, re assembled the truck and it now rolls smoothly. Hopefully sometime today I'll get another chance for a test drive.

Good luck and have fun!

RC Enthusiast
    El Sob 2.0 lives on! Letís see a video and what gearing your running once the zombies go away and you get a chance to get out of quarantine 🤣

RC Competitor
    If you are in Marin, San Rafael High School has a nice parking lot to run in. If you go to Berkeley the race track Golden Gate Lanes is an excellent choice for running your truck. In Cordilla there is an almost empty business park next to the Costco. That is a nice place to run. The Costco in Vacaville has a lot of unused parking that is a good place to run. I'll post a video from there. Most of the schools in El Sobrante are good places to run your truck.
    Man youíre a wealth of knowledge, thanks for the tips! Iím off the same exit as San Rafael HS but never thought to check it out. I havenít been to a race track before, good to know thereís one close by in Berkeley!

Do you mostly run on pavement? Iíve been bashing around at bike parks and itís great. Skate parks are brutal for the cars though so Iíve pretty much stopped going there.

RC Competitor
    [mention]Elsob [/mention] which fan and pinion gear are you using? I saw that you prefer the 20T (32P?) but see that there are many versions out there. Also guessing that with the 5mm drive Iíll need to get one with the a 5mm bore?

[mention]Elsob [/mention] which fan and pinion gear are you using? I saw that you prefer the 20T (32P?) but see that there are many versions out there. Also guessing that with the 5mm drive I’ll need to get one with the a 5mm bore?

At this time I do not have a fan on the motor. I do however have a Yeah Racing fan to put in it. I'm currently running 19/54 which good for 50mph. I am running a 5mm shaft on the motor. In the past I have broken a couple 3.5 mmm shafts on 2400kv motors.
    I took my truck out today! It was a beautiful day for a walk so she went with me. I ran her from full charge till the LVC kicked in. The battery lasted about an hour, doing full throttle starts, wheelies and keeping it to the floor until I couldn't see it. The highest temperature that I saw was 137įf! I'm extremely happy with the new motor system! Not that I had any doubts

I just wanted to say that I used my foam mod to protect the motor bearings. Its something that I have been doing for years and works extremely well! If you look at the blue circles you will see the protective layer of foam.

I just wanted to say that I used my foam mod to protect the motor bearings. Its something that I have been doing for years and works extremely well! If you look at the blue circles you will see the protective layer of foam.

Looks good...but, I'm curious about something. Zooming in, I see lots of super-tiny particles if the foam 'coating' the motorplate.

Considering how incredibly fine they are, wouldn't they get inside the motor, and possibly between other things, causing problems? Particles that fine might even find their way inside of bearings. Getting inside the transmission housing, between gears, that could also cause problems. Again, just curious.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    At this time I do not have a fan on the motor. I do however have a Yeah Racing fan to put in it. I'm currently running 19/54 which good for 50mph. I am running a 5mm shaft on the motor. In the past I have broken a couple 3.5 mmm shafts on 2400kv motors.
    I took my truck out today! It was a beautiful day for a walk so she went with me. I ran her from full charge till the LVC kicked in. The battery lasted about an hour, doing full throttle starts, wheelies and keeping it to the floor until I couldn't see it. The highest temperature that I saw was 137įf! I'm extremely happy with the new motor system! Not that I had any doubts
    [mention]El Sob [/mention] Ok thanks. I just ordered up a 20T pinion gear and I saw from another post it was the sweet spot for this setup. Was the 50 mph on 3S or 4S?

Great to see the low temps without a fan after running it long and hard. Looking forward to line coming in next week!

RC Qualifier

What is the foam mod?

So I was finally able to get a video of the truck running

RC Enthusiast
    So I was finally able to get a video of the truck running
    Dang what gearing you running for the wheelies? Iím still 19/54 but I do have a 20t pinion in hand 😈

RC Competitor
    [mention]El Sob [/mention] this looks great! Just wondering why you prefer the 2400kv over the 2650kv?

RC Qualifier
    [mention]El Sob [/mention] this looks great! Just wondering why you prefer the 2400kv over the 2650kv?

I think nostalgia and cost. The 2400kv motor is a hold over from a drag motor ecs combo that was a popular Slash upgrade. When I looked 2650 and MMX combo price had been increase by 50$ to 300$. Right now a 2400kv and Mamba X combo can be had for ~220$.

I donít think anything could convince me the 1512-2650 with a MMX to be inferior in efficiency and torque. Unless the Castle rep them self stated so.

Both motors weight about the same, the 2400kv is longer but the 15 series motors are 40mm wide, 14 series is 36mm.

Itís a toughy, I would like to hear more opinions.

RC poster
    I run the 2400kv and mamba max pro , old combo . All I can say is it's reliable loves talk gearing . Good for 127 kph on 4s ( GPS reading ) . Very impressive little unit .

RC Competitor
    [mention]El Sob [/mention] ok good to know. Seems like you canít go wrong with either setup if running 3S and keeping temps low.

I just plugged in my El Sob Special today! Only drove it for about 5 mins on 4S with a 20T pinion gear and it was pretty similar to power on 3S with an 11T with an elevated top end speed.

I still need to tweak it though, as there was a big mechanical sound that I couldnít sort out. I upgraded to a Tekno center driveshaft when I saw the stock one was bent so it could be that. Any experience with that?

Quote Originally Posted by More power View Post
    I run the 2400kv and mamba max pro , old combo . All I can say is it's reliable loves talk gearing . Good for 127 kph on 4s ( GPS reading ) . Very impressive little unit .
    What was your pinion and spur gear setup for this speed?

Last edited by cooleocool; 04-13-2020 at 10:35 PM. Reason: merge

Look at his post #269.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast