RC Racer

Slash Monster Truck Body

I want a body for my Slash 4x4 that I'm pretty sure does not exist, but I want to make sure that is the case. Basically I want a body that is shaped exactly like a Stampede 4x4 body but with a longer wheelbase. The ideal specifications for this body would be a 12.75" wheelbase and a width of 6.5". A 6.5" width is slightly wider than the 4x4 LCG chassis without nurf bars and is narrow enough to allow the body to sit very low without huge wheel wells and not have to worry 2.8" tires rubbing (10mm offset 17mm adapters allow lower body without rubbing). Does anyone know of a monster truck body with a 12.75" wheelbase that is 6.5" wide?

Currently I'm using a customized BAJR body on my slash (thread here). I was never a huge fan of the look of this body to begin with and over time I've become more dissatisfied with it especially after seeing how awesome my Stampede looks with the Sentinel body. I also hate how open the body is because it lets a ton of debris get in the chassis (my Stampede gets almost no debris in the chassis because of the body fit). I have never liked how short course trucks look, they are the reason why I bought a Stampede as my first car (I like monster trucks!). After driving both a Slash 4x4 LCG and Stampede 4x4 side by side for a while now I have discovered that what I really want is a Stampede 4x4 with a LCG chassis, but no one makes that (I'm considering shortening a Slash LCG chassis, but it would be hard to do). Almost all modern monster trucks from other companies use an LCG chassis (ProLine PRO MT 4x4, ARRMA Granite, ARRMA Outcast, Tekno MT410). The LCG chassis is a necessity to stop the truck from constantly rolling over on turns. I also discovered that I enjoy the short wheelbase of the Stampede over the Slash's long wheelbase. The short wheelbase is better for jumping, flipping, and wheelies. It also makes the truck more likely to end up on its wheels after flipping over. Since I can't get a LCG chassis for my Stampede, I do enjoy driving my Slash more for most uses (except for jumping), but I would like it a lot more if I could get a good looking monster truck body that keeps junk out of the chassis.

I love how the ProLine Sentinel body fits my Stampede (full album here) :

The same body looks silly on my Slash because the wheelbase is far too short:
    note: the body could be mounted a little bit lower than it is in the picture if I were to actually use it

Here is my Slash with a 8th scale proline RAM body on it:
    I had to do massive wheel well trimming to prevent rubbing. I also think it looks silly because the truck body is huge compared to the tires and its too long (I can use the Slash bumper on the front but I dont want to). I want the monster truck look where the tires are so big that they make the body look small.

The only monster truck bodies I've seen used on a Slash 4x4 are:
    1. 1/8th scale monster truck bodies. These have the right wheelbase, but the bodies are far too wide, which results in either mounting the body really high (looks totally ridiculous with LCG chassis) or trimming out huge wheel wells to prevent tire rub (also looks terrible). The ProLine 2007 Chevy Silverado 1/8th scale body is the closest thing I've found so far because it says its only 6.5" wide but its wheelbase is only 11.4" (Slash has 12.75" wheelbase). For comparison, the Sentinal body pictured above on my Slash has a 10.8" wheelbase and it looks ridiculous, an 11.4" wheelbase would be better but still off by an entire 1.35", which will likely still look silly.
    2. JConcepts Ford Raptor SVT (made to fit the Slash 4x4). This body comes with huge wheel wells that I think look terrible. If you look at 8th scale monster truck bodies mounted on an 8th scale monster truck you will see that the bodies have small wheel wells and the body can sit low due to the truck having wheels that are much wider than the body (the same way my Sentinel body fits on my Stampede). Example here
    3. Proline Monster Fusion body. This is basically a short course body that fits big tires. I hate the look of this body.

So far I have looked at all of the bodies from Jconcepts, Proline, and Delta Plastics. Below are some of the ones that I potentially liked the look of along with the specifications. I found that many proline bodies have a width listed that is narrower than the width at the fenders, and the width at the fenders is important because if its too wide the tires will rub.

I ended up ordering the ProLine Jeep Wranlger Unlimited Rubicon body (SKU 3336 - for 10th scale crawlers). It has a 12.5" wheelbase (close enough to 12.75") and its 7.5" wide at the fenders (I had to submit a ticket to proline support to get this measurement) and 6.5" wide at the chassis. I am almost certainly going to have to trim the fenders to let the body sit as low as I want without rubbing. There is a decent chance that I won't like the result; the Jeep will look silly if the fenders are completely trimmed off, but at least I wont have to make the wheel wells bigger because the width of the body without the fenders is narrow enough to not have any rubbing even with small wheel wells. I also love Jeeps, so I figured its worth the risk (its an expensive body, cost $44).

How about ProLine's 72 Chevy C10? I didn't see it on your list:

Specs

Length: 18.7" (475mm)
    Width: 7.1" (180mm)
    Height: 5.8" (147mm)
    Wheelbase: 12.6" (320mm)

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...clear-body.asp

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    How about ProLine's 72 Chevy C10? I didn't see it on your list:

Specs

Length: 18.7" (475mm)
    Width: 7.1" (180mm)
    Height: 5.8" (147mm)
    Wheelbase: 12.6" (320mm)

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...clear-body.asp

Good luck!
    I left that one off because I don't like how it looks. I'm not into the old school trucks. Also the fenders on that truck stick out a very small amount, so the width of the main part of the body is likely 7" or very close to it, which is too wide (it needs to be 6.5" or less).

RC Competitor
    I went through the same issue and I had to look a long time before I found something that I was happy with. I also looked at the Jeep Body that you mentioned. I also used the Proline Apocalypse Body 3422-00 for a Summit for a little bit as well.
    Currently I am running a Desert Militia Body PRO3401-00 for an E-revo. The 1/8 truck bodies are as close as I could find that would work.

Here is a few pics of my Slash 4x4. I am running the Proline-protrac suspension arms with XO-1 axles and caster/ hub carriers so this adds a bit of width.

This is with 2.8 trenchers mounted on 3.2 inch full offset wheels:

HCG Chassis, I ran this height without rubbing:

LCG Chassis, I was able to lower the body some more without rubbing:

These are with a set of 1/8 buggy wheels and the LCG chassis:

RC Racer
    That body is awesome! I've seen some pictures of it before but never knew what it was. Unfortunately it is discontinued. If my Jeep doesn't work out I'm going to try and find one of those bodies... but I just spent 5 minutes searching and couldn't find one for sale anywhere, not even ebay. Anyone know where to find one?

What about an E-Maxx body #3912?

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6436666

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3912

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Length: 19-1/2" (495.3mm)
    Width: 6-3/4" (171.45mm) --front
    Width: 7" (177.8mm) --rear
    Height: 5-1/2" (139.7mm)
    Last edited by Squeegie; 09-07-2018 at 10:43 PM.

RC Racer
    What about an E-Maxx body #3912?

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6436666

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3912

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Length: 19-1/2" (495.3mm)
    Width: 6-3/4" (171.45mm) --front
    Width: 7" (177.8mm) --rear
    Height: 5-1/2" (139.7mm)
    I considered the E-Maxx body a while back because the fit looks pretty good but I don't like the look very much (the style of the truck is not appealing to me). Based on the specs you posted it looks like the width is about right, but it still looks kind of huge relative to the tires. Where did you find the specifications for the body? I'm really hoping for a Stampede like body that fits, meaning the body looks small compared to the tires, like a normal monster truck.

It took a while, but I found the specs here:

https://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-cars-tr...caAnk0EALw_wcB

They also make a body with a shorter wheelbase, but I have to go now. I'll try to find it later...

Found it:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3911

https://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-cars-tr...s/TRA3911.html

Specifications
    Length: 18" (457mm)
    Width: 6.25" (158mm) (at center)
    Height: 5.0" (127mm) (un-cut)
    Wheelbase: 12" (304mm)

Funny...

"...This is the Replacement Extended Cab Pick-Up Body for the
    Traxxas E-Maxx Truck.
    This is the thin, clear plastic piece that covers the
    truck's chassis and provides the "shape" of the truck
    ..."

RC Racer
    Found it:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3911

https://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-cars-tr...s/TRA3911.html

Specifications
    Length: 18" (457mm)
    Width: 6.25" (158mm) (at center)
    Height: 5.0" (127mm) (un-cut)
    Wheelbase: 12" (304mm)
    Thanks! I like the shorter version better. The wheelbase being off by .75" is not a big deal. This body is on my short list if my Jeep doesn't work out.

RC Qualifier
    Have you looked at any of the HPI truck bodies.

RC Qualifier
    I got a Grave Digger body off eBay recently for my son's LCG Slash. He loves it!

-Liberty

RC Racer
    So for some reason google photos hosting my images sometimes randomly results in the photos not showing up for anyone other than me after a random period of time and it makes me un aware of it. Here is a re-post of the pictures that should have been in the first post along with permanent links in case they go away.

I love how the ProLine Sentinel body fits my Stampede (full album here) :
    link

The same body looks silly on my Slash because the wheelbase is far too short:
    link

note: the body could be mounted a little bit lower than it is in the picture if I were to actually use it

Here is my Slash with a 8th scale proline RAM body on it:
    I had to do massive wheel well trimming to prevent rubbing. I also think it looks silly because the truck body is huge compared to the tires and its too long (I can use the Slash bumper on the front but I dont want to). I want the monster truck look where the tires are so big that they make the body look small.
    link

RC Racer
    I finished the Jeep body and I love it! I won't be needing another body . Check it out:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...91#post6469691

RC Racer
    Old thread, but a narrow body for a monster slash is something Iíve been looking at for a while.

Iím really liking the Proline bash armor bodies at the moment, so that option would be ideal.

This is really going out on a limb, but I just noticed the new Maxx wheelbase is almost exactly the same as a slash. And the scale seems compatible.

Iím wondering if the Rustler 4x4 shock towers were used, whether a Slash 4x4 would mate up with the Maxx body?

Iíd be very surprised if it worked, but if it did, there should be a bash armor body for the maxx before too long.

If the scale is compatible but doesnít work with the quick mount, perhaps standard mounting may still work?

Just a thought anyhow.

I have been using E-Maxx bodies since they we relatively cheap and pre-cut. Just a slight modification to the stock Slash 4x4 body mounts lets it fit. I have afew pics in this thread: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...as-Maxx-Bodies

Part 3912: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RC Racer
    Some great stuff in that thread mate. The 3.8 badlands as a trail truck is a really cool idea.

I did see the emaxx body above listed at 7Ē width. It would be ideal to find a 6Ē wide body. I donít know what the maxx might be but it seems scaled down a bit.

I had also assumed the emaxx had a longer wheelbase. That surprised me.

Thanks much and I agree 6 inch wide body would be nice but anything I ever found that narrow was always too short in wheelbase or too short in height to meet up with the chassis tub.

RC Racer
    Ha. Ahh that is way too familiar a story!