RC Competitor

Question What servo setup for new E-Revo?

I just got my new E-Revo VXL Brushless. I've read quite a bit about the servo issues, and as I'm upgrading some other parts, I thought about just taking care of the servos now. My question is this:

What are the pros/cons of keeping dual servos to switching to a single? I see people going with single, but don't really know why. I'm assuming Traxxas used dual for some reason...so why change?

If maintaining a dual servo setup, what's the best servo to go with. With cost being secondary to quality...what's the "best".
    If switching to a single servo...same question...which one?

When upgrading to different servos, is there any other parts that should also be changed to allow the new servos to work their best?

Just trying to become a little more educated on the servos.

RC Champion
    Traxxas servo does not provide enough torque for the ERBE, that's why they designed it with 2 servo IMO
    Nothing wrong going with a single high torque (250oz or more) servo. It's easier to install since you don't need to align the horns.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    I run a SAVOX 1230 plenty of torque. Single servo.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Competitor
    I contacted Savox about this, and they recommended the SW-1210SG for a single-servo setup. They said it provides 444..4oz of torque @ 7.4V. Any thoughts on this one?

For a dual setup, they recommended the SW-1211SG.

My work horse, I've recommended this to others and will continue to do so. Single servo, no bec necessary, savox sa 1231sg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    My work horse, I've recommended this to others and will continue to do so. Single servo, no bec necessary, savox sa 1231sg
    Can you recommend the correct horn to use with this? I've been trying to find an aluminum horn (to keep from stripping) that will work with everything. From your pics, I cannot see what you ended up using.

Stock horn. Never stripped one since I bought my first erbe years ago.

RC Competitor
    I just read this thread this morning as my batteries were charging. Went out, beat the the **** out of my 2.0 and after a bad crash my steering was stuck turning left. The left side over rotated and ended up stripping both my servos in one shot. I'm new to this dual servo set up and when I first got it I re-aligned the servo horns so they were at a 90į angle with the servos. People are saying I shouldn't have done that because they're ment to be off set a little to prevent what happened from happening. Haha lesson learned I guess. I'm going to take FnFancy's advice and try his single servo set up. If for some reason I don't like it I'll buy the second one and try to put it back to normal.

RC Competitor
    I just checked the servo out on amazon. It says 416 torque @4.8V & 499 torque @6.0V., how do I know what my ESC is sending to the servo? Obviously I want it sending 6V so I get the 499 torque.

RC Competitor
    Iím still running stock dual servos have been for about 3 years stripped gears twice so not a bad run Iíve been thinking about an upgrade for a long time now but there are a few things to consider.

Keep spare stock gears not much fun changing them but easy enough still a pita.

Upgrade the stock servos gears with the traxxas metal gears, but very expensive for two sets of gears but would likely last longer. Cost of two gears nearly price of one decent servo.

Single servo upgrade donít forget to get a servo lead extension or you could solder and is your new servo waterproof? And cover the hole where the missing servo is to prevent stones and stuff coming through the hole.

Twin new servos same as single need longer leads and most likely a Bec to handle the amp draw

No need for an extension on a single servo setup. Just put it on the reciever side!

RC Champion
    Are the savox still power hungry? I've normally had hitec bir a comparable savox is about half the price.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    No need for an extension on a single servo setup. Just put it on the reciever side!
    Arh yes my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    Are the savox still power hungry? I've normally had hitec bir a comparable savox is about half the price.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    I don't experience any issues running my savox servo off the esc bec. That's the only one I have experience with though.

RC Competitor
    I'd still like an aluminum horn to prevent and stripping. Does anyone make an aluminum horn for the unique E-Revo type horn?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    I'd still like an aluminum horn to prevent and stripping. Does anyone make an aluminum horn for the unique E-Revo type horn?
    Dynamite has decent aluminum horns that I've used. They were easiest for me to get local. They make them 23 to 24T spline.. so just got one that matches the servo you are using.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    The Savox is 25T...but the E-Revo has a unique horn and regular series horns won't work. Are you saying Dynamite has then for the E-Revo? That would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    The Savox is 25T...but the E-Revo has a unique horn and regular series horns won't work. Are you saying Dynamite has then for the E-Revo? That would be great.
    A quick search brought up hot racing aluminium servo horn for the erevo. Also found some single aluminium steering arms from st racing. Both specifically say for the erevo so it should work, as long as your servo is 25t (which savox is).

A quick search brought up hot racing aluminium servo horn for the erevo. Also found some single aluminium steering arms from st racing. Both specifically say for the erevo so it should work, as long as your servo is 25t (which savox is).

I use the savox servo fancy uses, based on his recommendation, the strc single steering arm and stock horn since April and it's rock solid still. Plus I have a spare horn from the other stock servo. If I recall serpent makes the correct style along with hot racing. If you think it's a necessity to have an aluminum horn go for it, I have used and abused the 2.0 and found that personally the stock one is sufficient.

RC Competitor
    I definitely want to do a servo upgrade, just not sold on which way to go, thinking about two Power HD 20kg waterproof servos cheap but will Likely need the Bec mod too

RC Competitor
    I ended up getting:
    A single Savox SW1210SG - this was per Savox's recommendation (and it's waterproof). They said it's a "perfect fit".
    Hot Racing RVO4806 Aluminum Steering Assembly with their RVO12B06 Aluminum Steering Arm Mount
    ST Racing Concepts STP6037B Single Servo Saver Arm which I'll put in place of HR's dual arm.
    Hot Racing ERV25SH06 Aluminum Servo Horn
    Traxxas 5326X Servo Cover Plate (which will need slightly modified) to cover the leftover hole.

So that'll replace all my steering items with aluminum and should be bullet proof (but probably still will find a way to break it). Other than the steering linkage ends (which are still plastic and I couldn't find another version yet).
    We'll see how it actually works out.

You won't see much difference between that servo and the stock dual set up. Same speed and slightly more torque. To get that 444.4 you'll need an external bec (assuming your running the stock esc) and RX bypass so you can run 7.4v to it.

RC Competitor
    You won't see much difference between that servo and the stock dual set up. Same speed and slightly more torque. To get that 444.4 you'll need an external bec (assuming your running the stock esc) and RX bypass so you can run 7.4v to it.

What’s a great waterproof savox servo with plenty of grunt? The 1210 has metal gears so will still be better than stock.

What happens to the other servo saver arm just left swinging or did you use a ST Racing Concepts STP6037B arm like Cobra is using?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave50w View Post
    What’s a great waterproof savox servo with plenty of grunt? The 1210 has metal gears so will still be better than stock.

What happens to the other servo saver arm just left swinging or did you use a ST Racing Concepts STP6037B arm like Cobra is using?
    I cut off the servo saver arm, metal gears are better than stock. This is true. Don't get hung up on waterproof, as long as your not submerging the truck or blasting high pressure water directly into the servo, it should be fine. Nickruger can back me up on that.

I was hung up on the waterproof thing. Fancy and some other members informed me that high quality servos that use o-ring construction are generally pretty water resistant. I've ran the the 1231 savox as well as my hitec 7950th, and hitec 7955 in standing water conditions, mud you name it. Sprayed them off with the hose, everything short of submerging them with no I'll effects. The savox 1210 is a good servo, I have 2 of them, solid, no BEC needed with a mamba monster x, not sure about the vxl6s. There is a 2 or 3 page thread on single servos that is extremely informative, covers lots of options, as well as lots of testimonials from a lot of us on here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I'm using a single Savox 2310MG and it works great.

RC Competitor
    Check out my post regarding the 24kg PowerHD Servo I grabbed and installed in my ERBE...

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6463014

A great alternative to the Savox is the Power HD WP-23KG Waterproof High Torque Metal Gear Digital Servo 23KG/0.12S 6V... The link above has detailed pics of it right out of the box as well as installed on my ERBE...

I got it on Amazon - it was cheaper than the Savox with similar (higher) ratings in throw speed & torque... It came with a proper and beefy arm also... I had the luxury of cheap access to an aluminum arm but I'm very confident the one that came with it would serve you well...

Here's a link to it... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBS18YZ..._leEzBb390FF04

I'm super happy with it & it works flawlessly - definitely faster than stock and this single is definitely way stronger than the twin stock setup... Best of all - no need to play around with adding another BEC or whatever for the 444oz savox (which is total overkill anyway) or running two servos that are higher power (which may also require tooling around to support the added current draw)

You can always upgrade to an aluminum arm at a later date...

~2loki4u

RC Enthusiast
    Iím so confused about the term bec? What does this mean and is this for the older revos? And do I need this for my new 2.0 if I run dual power hd or Savox servos?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kaikaze View Post
    Iím so confused about the term bec? What does this mean and is this for the older revos? And do I need this for my new 2.0 if I run dual power hd or Savox servos?

Thank you
    BEC= battery eliminator circuit.
    It is needed when any electrical device on your truck pulls more juice than what the stock bec on your esc can deliver. Also needed if you want to supply more power to a certain apparatus than your system can safely deliver. You'll have to check specs to find out if you need one for your application.

RC Competitor
    Just put the SA 1230SG Savox servo in my 2.0 and it works great!!! Even running a single servo instead of the dual set up. Plenty of power and speed, even on some what high grass. Haven't mowed the lawn in a week. Haha didn't need an extension, I just put it on the reciever side. Glad I found this thread. Thanks goes out to FnFancy for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Paultro84 View Post
    Just put the SA 1230SG Savox servo in my 2.0 and it works great!!! Even running a single servo instead of the dual set up. Plenty of power and speed, even on some what high grass. Haven't mowed the lawn in a week. Haha didn't need an extension, I just put it on the reciever side. Glad I found this thread. Thanks goes out to FnFancy for the recommendation.
    Glad it's working out for you! There's a lot of good info about single servo revos, I have my preference just like everyone else. No right answer for every individual driving style or conditions, everyone just has to remember one thing, keep having fun!

RC poster
    Hello Group I'm new to the New age RC cars and trucks as I ran cars about 17 years ago and now my brother an I are getting back into it. We both bought new E Revos 2.0 last week and we were out racing around this weekend. well my servos are now shot. only two day into this. Now I have seen many guys on here swapping to a single servo and that is what I would like to do as I agree with eliminating a headache of setting up two. now I see FnFacy states he likes the HD WP-23KG witch I have looked up and liked the price of course and like how everyone is having good luck with these. As I was looking on Amazon I found HD WP-25KG for cheaper and they were also a Prime product and I could get tomorrow and be back to whopping up on my brother. Note HD WP-23KG is not a prime product so is more expensive and will have to pay shipping. My question is has anyone ran them and had luck without a BEC? As I'm not really trying to get that fancy yet and if I need to buy the HD WP-23KG then I will just thought it being a prime and cheaper I might go that route but don't want the headache of all kinds of other stuff I would need to add. To me its not worth the price difference.

Just to be clear, I do not run the HD servo. My work horse is the savox 1231.

RC poster
    Just to be clear, I do not run the HD servo. My work horse is the savox 1231.

Yes sir you are right I apologize I got my wires crossed.

RC Competitor
    Any new recommendations? I'd rather not install an external bec on my E Revo 2.0. I currently run two 35kg (32kg on 6v) DSservos but they don't seem as strong as advertised. I am about to try 2x Power HD 20kg but I would really like stronger and faster servos. 30kg+@6v x 2, below 0.1 sec and waterproof but I just can't find any.

RC Champion
    I love my single servo set up on my Savox 1231sg. I have had no issues with it and it has yet to fail me.
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    I love my single servo set up on my Savox 1231sg. I have had no issues with it and it has yet to fail me.
    I have the same one in my 2.0, I got my 1231 on April 2nd last year and it is still working well. I noticed it seemed a little off last week, so I took it out to inspect it. When I took it apart the internals were dry as a bone and everything, boards, gears, all looked perfect still. When I put it back in everything was fine. I think my horn might have just been a little loose. I have ran mine in the mud and sprayed it off with the hose probably 40 times. It's a solid unit.

RC poster
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I found the following reasons will affect steering...

Servos Alignment - 10%
    Tire Alignment - 10%
    Overtighten Pivot Balls - Traxxas #4933 - 30%
    End Points configuration - Configure via Radio or App - 15%
    Dirty Steering Arm System - Traxxas #5344 - 5%
    Servo - 30%
    E-Revo VXL 2.0
    DJI Mavic Pro - Modded

Quote Originally Posted by Dave50w View Post

Upgrade the stock servos gears with the traxxas metal gears, but very expensive for two sets of gears but would likely last longer. Cost of two gears nearly price of one decent servo.
    So you can confirm that the metal gears fit perfectly in the stock servos?
    If it's not breaking, you're not doing it right.