RC poster

Hawk Modernization

Hello all!
    I am new to the forum but an old RC hobbyist. I grew up in the 80/90s piloting many of the Tamiya vehicles from that era.

My father in law unexpectedly passed two years ago and while cleaning out a shed of his this weekend I found his old Traxxas Hawk. My son is 10 and I would love to modernize this amazing old truck for him so he and I can enjoy it together and remember his Grandpa.

I have modern radio equipment, but am curious as to what I can put in this thing without breaking it. My list to upgrade is motor, battery, charger and ESC. The gear box seems to be plastic/nylon, so not sure if it can handle brushless and lipo?

I would love to surprise my son with the needed components so he and I can install together and get this thing back on the track. As such, budget is also a consideration so I am hoping to get the basics. If anyone has done this, can you provide what you upgraded with?

Thanks in advance.

Chad

Traxxas Marshal
    If you want to keep it simple, I'd look into swapping some modern brushed electronics into it. A the low end, you can still get a Traxxas Stinger motor; paired with an XL-5 ESC, you'd be running without much risk to the drive train. You could also go for a 12T Titan motor for a little more power.

That said, I am not super familiar with the Hawk and it's ability to handle any sort of BL system. Hopefully others will be able to chime in there.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Do you have any spare systems that can be chucked into it? If so, what are they?

Traxxas Marshal
    Do you mean personally? If so, I do not. However, you can easily find the electronics online or at a local hobby shop.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    If you want to keep it simple, I'd look into swapping some modern brushed electronics into it. A the low end, you can still get a Traxxas Stinger motor; paired with an XL-5 ESC, you'd be running without much risk to the drive train. You could also go for a 12T Titan motor for a little more power.

That said, I am not super familiar with the Hawk and it's ability to handle any sort of BL system. Hopefully others will be able to chime in there.
    Thank you Cooleocool, I like keeping it simple (cheap) as I am sure he will get hooked and want a more modern truck soon.

Traxxas Marshal
    No problem! Let us know what you end up doing!

RC Champion
    I've run both the Hawk and Hawk 2 with the XL-5 ESC and the 12 turn Titan 550 motor on Lipo packs without any major issues. But if the Diffy is not in good solid shape it will let you know in a hurry.
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx