RC Champion

I'm Back [ Again !!!]

Hey Guys, yes its me again. Nuked my PC several months back and just got back up and running a few hours ago. Did anybody miss me?

From the looks of things around here , probably not.

Anyways, since I was here last, I did a little parts juggling, scrapped the Bullet2 project and built myself a resto mod Rad2, then used my small supply of Hawk2 parts to build my bashing buddy his own Hawk2.

Then I added Stampede output yokes and half shafts to my Hawk2 so its back up and running again. I also ditched the Stampede sized tires for some pin spike units and switched to Rustler shocks , so it sits quite a bit lower and the half shaft angles aren't nearly as severe. So hopefully it will quit eating half-shafts and output yokes. The only drawback, Winter has taken a serious hold up here so I'll have to wait until spring to find out how the old beast handles now.

I still need legit Rad2 Rims and a body for the Rad2 project but its gonna have to wait a while since I've been dumping all of my time and money into getting my '89 Dakota back on the road again, she's been sitting for nearly six years [broken trans, etc...] so I've had to replace the trans. , the entire exhaust system, fuel pump, brake master cylinder and a small laundry list of odds and ends but its just about done now. All that is left is to install the stereo and finish putting the interior back together.

And not a minute to soon either, a couple of weeks ago some No-mind butthead was too busy screwing with his cell phone to avoid slamming into my wife's Cavalier and did some fairly major damage and ever since then the nasty little pile of crap is literally falling apart on her. First it was no dash lights for a week then the horn quit working and this past Saturday the clutch inter-lock switch calfed so I by-passed it with a paper clip and yesterday she tried to start it, in gear and took out a very large window on the front of our bank. I can't wait to see the bill for that little fiasco.

Anyways that's a quick little fill in on my last few months and I am now ready to get back to checking things out around here and see what I've missed in the last six or seven months.

Let's get this show back on the road!
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx

Traxxas Marshal
    Yikes, it sounds like it has been a very up and down past few months. Glad to hear you're still doing well, at any rate.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Yikes, it sounds like it has been a very up and down past few months. Glad to hear you're still doing well, at any rate.

Hey T, how are ya ? All good I hope!

Yep, lucky for me, I like roller coasters.

All in all, things were going pretty well until the wife got rear-ended, then it all turned into a bit of a train-wreck. My guess on the bank window bill is somewhere in the sixteen hundred buck range maybe more, so Christmas is probably going to be a bit of a bummer but what can ya do?

But on to bigger and better things,

Have you added any more vintage Rcs to your collection since we talked last?

I picked up a few odds and ends from an old school electric Stampede, so I guess I'm finally gonna have to start collecting parts for a real Stampede now.

My old Sledgehammer came back with a broken rear lower shock mount bracket. So this time I made an alloy set-up and now almost three years later, the current owner still hasn't come back to get it. Does that mean that I get to keep it ?

I also built a slightly modded 3906 E-Maxx for the same guy's step son and its still sitting here chewing up shelf space as well. It will be a full three years, the week after this coming Christmas, so I'm starting to wonder what's up for sure. No way that I'd let one of my RCs rot in someone else's basement for three years. Very weird!

Well its time to go get some more work done on my old Dakota, catch you later,

Traxxas Marshal
    I cannot complain. My R/C collection hasn't changed in a while. I haven't had the time to mess with them much/don't really have a great place to drive them at the moment. I keep them clean and mess with them from time to time, though. Good luck with the 1:1 project!

RC Champion
    I haven't run any of my RCs for the past two or three months ,too darned cold and way to busy workin' on our herd of full sized trucks. My '94 Dakota 4x4, the '89 Dakota, my wife's '97 Cherokee Sport 4x4 and her winter beater '92 Cherokee 4x4.

Then, at night or when its too cold to work outside, I get to wrench on the little stuff. Fortunately I'm a life long member of the "I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead club" . Between my back and my shoulders, and a brain that's locked in permanent over-drive, I never seem to get much more than three or four hours sleep at a time anyways.

Hey Guys, long time no talk! Since I moved to a new home 4 years ago I've been away from the RC world. Everything is inside boxes and I only run the X-Maxx and the Alias from time to time. I so miss my early years when I could build a vintage truck in a week. Now, I don't even remember which ones I have or what's missing to complete them, I guess that's life sometimes. Hope I can get back next year, at least, start to unpack everything and slowly finish all my nice projects I started long ago.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Champion
    Wow, Long time indeed Daniel . Its good to hear that you are still checking in on us once in while !!

Don't feel too bad about the four year delay getting your vintage stuff un-packed, think of it more like how happy you will be when you finally get to see all of those cool old vintage projects again. Kinda like visiting old friends that you haven't seen in ages.

Gentlemen! And I use that term loosely. Lol!

Good to see all you guys posting again! Just logged in for the first time in close to a year. Been crazy hectic lately. Looks like you all can relate.

Still playing with the rc's as much as possible, which isn't as much as it used to be. Mostly playing in the new backyard. You guys gotta see this! Wife wasn't happy, but she's getting used to it. Lol. Built a new track no more than a month after we moved in. Not quite as meticulous as the previous track, for those of you who know about it, but way less maintenance and great for 8th scales, which is pretty much all we run nowadays. I'll have to post some pics and videos.

Still have a few unfinished vintage Traxxas projects sitting around. Nice TRX-1 runner sitting in a box and an 80% complete LS-II new build. Maybe someday. Still have a couple 2wd slashes to beat around too.

Let's get this place going again and maybe give me some ambition to finish some long overdue projects! A new indoor clay track just opened up within a half hour of me a couple months ago. I'm thinking the TRX-1 needs to go there.

Hey Guys, nice to hear from you again. I know 2018 is going to be much better that this year, so, keep your fingers crossed. I have tons of new vintage stuff to show which I haven't had the time to play with, just bought them and boxed them for now.

RC Racer
    Hey guys. Been awhile. Coolest thing since last time is I scored an NIB (unsealed box) TRX-1!!! Never thought it would happen. Fair price too. Just really fortunate... Anyway it is just a toy in a box at the end of the day......

Cool to see some familiar folks posting again.

I hear you! I just got a NIB Villain IV!

RC Champion
    Its like no one ever left.....
    Vintage TRX collector|Florida Dirt Oval racer

RC Champion
    What? Who left?

Me, I just disappear for months at a time. But I always come back....

Spent the past few weeks building a parts box Hawk 2 for my bashing buddy. He wanted something two wheel drive, set up for on road use, so I got busy and its almost done now. Just working on getting the steering centered out as well as possible.
    Adjust, test, adjust again until I like it. Then give it away. What's wrong with me?

Also getting my Hawk 2 dusted off and put back together. Re-geared, lowered, smaller tires, rebuilt steering servo, the body finally painted, three years later. It looks mighty nice! Just in time to beat the living snot out of it all summer... I'm starting to wonder about myself... Crazy no doubt.... Thrashing a sweet old vintage RC. Bad Mopar Marv!!!!

The Blue Eagle LS-2 should be ready for spring testing and shock/spring adjustments as soon as our crappy weather improves. Just an XL-5/12 t. Titan/Lipo combo for now. I've got a VXL motor but can't afford the ESC yet, darn it ! And I still can't find a body that looks right on this thirteen and a half inch wide street freak. Leaning towards a certain blown Dodge Charger body at the moment.

My Resto Mod Rad 2 clone is close to the finish, just needs output yokes and an ESC. Paint the body I'm using for now. Start out with my old Back-up Hawk 2 switch a few choice parts and one sweet little two wheel drive, off-road truck is born.

Gotta keep busy until the snow melts....

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by MOPAR MARV View Post
    Gotta keep busy until the snow melts....
    Has the snow melted yet, or are you still digging out?

RC Racer
    Ah nuts, why do I keep getting an R/C urge around December?? Also, hey everyone!

RC Qualifier
    Just now seeing this thread but guess who else is back! Been caught up in school and messing around with full size cars so everything I have is in boxes or storage. Thinking about unloading them actually so if you want some really rare cars/parts (ahem wildcat(s)) feel free to pm me. Good to see all of these familiar names!
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

RC Champion
    Hey kdaq,what's new ?

I've stupid busy since last spring. I wasted my whole summer trying to help a friend[major hoarder] get his property cleared out so that he can move in a couple of months[ property owner is selling the place].

Not to mention the usual hundred or so hours cutting grass, etc ....

And as luck would have it, last Sunday afternoon the motherboard in my wife's PC took a dump. The darned board cost a mint too, a kick butt quad core GFX unit, poof.

Then an hour or so later, a rather nasty worm managed to "sneak past" AVG and messed up my computer so badly that I had to F-disk the hard-drive and reprogram the beast. Not a big problem but the three or four hundred photos that were lost in the process really hurt!!! Not to mention all of the RC related manuals and such.

The truly upsetting part is that after doing a little research I suspect the worm came from AVG ,their way of trying to convince me to upgrade to a more costly service or chew up a hundred bucks or so that I can not afford, to have them unlock my computer[windows7 would boot then lock up solid and refused to allow me to do anything, grrrrrr!!!] I am not a happy camper!

But enough of that , on to a happier topic.

A few weeks back I was sitting looking at my Hawk basher, sitting all low down on original rims/tires and I just Had to put the big off-road tires and stuff back on it again. It just looked too much like an old shelf queen for my liking. Boring!!

Then while trying to re-organize and slightly downsize the amount of space used by all of the separate boxes of Blue Eagle/Hawk2/Bullet parts, I decided to just pile the parts for each unit into big ziplock bags and toss them all into a single Rubbermaid tub. And while doing this, I discovered that I still had enough parts to build a near stock Hawk2, And resurrect the Bullet2 project but this time its going to be more of an off-road monster truck build. The only parts needed to finish them to ready for electronics form, is output yokes and half-shafts.

The Blue Eagle LS-2 is back on the shelf again ! After three or four runs with the XL-5/ 12 turn Titan and a 3s lipo pack, it totally shredded the NOS white output yokes and half shafts while blowing some really cool doughnuts in the parking lot in front of the store where my daughter was working last summer. Just killing some time, waiting for her to get off work and all of a sudden you could see chunks of plastic flying in all directions. But it was fun while it lasted.

Any who that's about it for news for the frozen north.

Merry Christmas all you vintage Traxxas fanatics !!!