RC Enthusiast

stock summit 1/10. best first mods??

hi all, total newby here, got my first decent rc, i wanted to crawl so i got the summit, luv it so far, totally stock, got a set of 5000mah lipo thats the only mod so far. i pretty much only want to crawl and go slow, what mods would best suite that style of driving, would a brushless benifit me at this point? longer run times intersts me, i am also looking at some more lipo batteries, would u suggest a higher voltage single or stick with the 2 lower voltage? like i mentioned not intersted in speed always in low range so if a single gives decent runtime in low i would be all over that. thanx for any tips, luv this toy

RC Qualifier
    best mods i have done,that work for me were getting new tires(rc4wd mudslingers). Brushless setup Tekin 2000kv. I am able to crawl in high and low. Much longer runtimes. Stay with 2-2s batteries. Your able to get them in higher mah. Higher mah=longer runtime. If you go brushless, take the time to shim your diffs, they will last much longer. Brushless motors will have alot more torque.

RC Enthusiast
    First thing I upgraded on mine were the rear springs to double orange to help stop the rear sagging so much.
    Then tyres were next. Tyre choice is very dependant on the type of terrain you'll be driving on. I fitted Pro Line Trenchers as I tend to trail drive and found the standard tyres easy to rip on sharp rocks.
    Would recommend sealing your tyres if you're going to be doing any driving in wet conditions to save ruining the foam inside them.
    A brushless setup is also a great upgraded with vastly improved run times and top speed. You just have to be a bit careful with the throttle and a well setup clutch and you wont break too much.

If you want to reduce the rear squat of the Summit, a switch to double-orange springs on the rear shocks will help.
    Stock pinion is 14-tooth. Switching to a 12-tooth pinion will make the motor happier and cooler-running.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Enthusiast
    awsome, thanx soooo much for the tips, ill try a 12t pinion first as that sounds the least expensive haha, i think i would like to try a brushless for the run time, i will look in to the tekin 2000kva. my local shop should carry those, do u guys have any prference for batteries? do some work and last longer than others? i was looking at the venom lipo line up. are they pretty decent, thanx for the replies so far

RC Qualifier
    You could also look into the castle mamba monster x setup. You'll want a sensored motor and controller for crawling. I went with Tekin because at the time it was the only well known sensored setup. Had to waterproof myself. If I had to do it again I would look at the castle system, is already waterproof and now available as sensored operation plus cheaper. Should be good quality because Traxxas has used Castle in their products. For the venom batteries ? I have traxxas. I have read good things on SMC batteries, they offer high capacity at good price. Stay stock and enjoy it for a while, then see what you want to upgrade. You might be happy with just getting bigger batteries or keeping the batteries you have and different motor setup.

RC Racer
    I did a brushless summit. It was alot of fun. But it was not a sensored setup and with that it kind of lost the ability to be slow and precise. I can say that even shimmed i still broke alot of diffs untill i put the full lem diff setup in it. With those it would pull standing backflips. A good sensored brushless setup would give you great crawl controll and make it pretty fast in high gear. Yet with that much power comes alot of broken parts. And as far as im conserned with a brushless summit lem difs are a must. They are not cheap, but standing backflips on 6s will not break them.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitBasher90 View Post
    I did a brushless summit. It was alot of fun. But it was not a sensored setup and with that it kind of lost the ability to be slow and precise. I can say that even shimmed i still broke alot of diffs untill i put the full lem diff setup in it. With those it would pull standing backflips. A good sensored brushless setup would give you great crawl controll and make it pretty fast in high gear. Yet with that much power comes alot of broken parts. And as far as im conserned with a brushless summit lem difs are a must. They are not cheap, but standing backflips on 6s will not break them.
    awsome info, ok so if i do a brushelss motor i should get a sensored one?, i want lots of control at low speed,dont want touchy glitchy throttle, im not sure what sensored means so i think a trip to utube this weekend is for me,,,,,,haha,

RC Racer
    A sensored brushless motor has sensers in it that tell the speed controller where the motor is at rotation wise. Think of it as hands on a clock. The clock has hands you can see where they are. A sensorless brushless motor is like a clock with no hands. The speed controller does not know where the motor is at so it just starts firing untill it gets it right giving you a very jerky cogging like slow start. A sensored motor and speed controller knows where its at so it can start exactly where it needs to giving you a smooth start. Thats my understanding anyway. Not sure if i explained it very well or not. If anybody knows better please chime in and correct me. Im all about learning something new.

RC Enthusiast
    A sensored brushless motor has sensers in it that tell the speed controller where the motor is at rotation wise. Think of it as hands on a clock. The clock has hands you can see where they are. A sensorless brushless motor is like a clock with no hands. The speed controller does not know where the motor is at so it just starts firing untill it gets it right giving you a very jerky cogging like slow start. A sensored motor and speed controller knows where its at so it can start exactly where it needs to giving you a smooth start. Thats my understanding anyway. Not sure if i explained it very well or not. If anybody knows better please chime in and correct me. Im all about learning something new.
    ahhh yes that sounds good, i understand now, i can see how imprtant sensored combo for crawling could be, ill look into a sensored brushless combo and maybe lower pinion gear for crawling super slow

RC Qualifier
    For super slow crawling I have had very good luck with the old castle MMM ESC and an 18v drill motor. Tons of torque and will crawl slower than a snail with proper gearing. Iíve got mine geared @ 18/68 at the moment and it is a torque monster!! Not so much a speed demon, but enough to work well for me in high gear. In low gear it will pull 2-3 kids on a garden wagon made of steel. Not a problem to pull them around the entire block! At any rate. If I had to chance to get a good sensored system I most likely would not unless I did some work to the diffs. Iíve got plenty enough low end torque with the current setup and also plenty of tuning options with the use of the MMM ESC. I also run an external BEC and it makes the ESC not have to work as hard.
    As far as good upgrades, the aluminum toe And steering links are a great upgrade as well as some better tires for all around use. Servos for steering and also shifting are good points to upgrade as well. The Summit is a pretty darn tough truck all in All!!

RC Racer
    That is very true. A bone stock summit is really tough. In stock form its really not fast enough to break much. Now locked in low with diffs locked and the slipper set to tight it has enough power to break driveshafts. Yet i never broke a diff on stock setup.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    For super slow crawling I have had very good luck with the old castle MMM ESC and an 18v drill motor. Tons of torque and will crawl slower than a snail with proper gearing. Iíve got mine geared @ 18/68 at the moment and it is a torque monster!! Not so much a speed demon, but enough to work well for me in high gear. In low gear it will pull 2-3 kids on a garden wagon made of steel. Not a problem to pull them around the entire block! At any rate. If I had to chance to get a good sensored system I most likely would not unless I did some work to the diffs. Iíve got plenty enough low end torque with the current setup and also plenty of tuning options with the use of the MMM ESC. I also run an external BEC and it makes the ESC not have to work as hard.
    As far as good upgrades, the aluminum toe And steering links are a great upgrade as well as some better tires for all around use. Servos for steering and also shifting are good points to upgrade as well. The Summit is a pretty darn tough truck all in All!!
    i have read about the drill motor swap, i like the idea of snail crawling and tourque, thnx for the other tips.

RC Qualifier
    Iíll get some pics up today of my setup. Itís nothing special. But as I said by using the castle MMM ESC along with a drill motor I have the capability of still tuning things through castle link and it helps a lot doing it this way. For me it does anyhow.

RC Competitor

What size shims are required and where do you shin ? Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Northern Adventurer did a nice guide on shimming diff's. Works on stock parts as well as aftermarket parts,just need to remove all excessive slop.http://forums.traxxas.com/showthread...Shimming-Guide

RC Enthusiast
    I would highly recommend body/road armor from RCarmor (not sure if there is another band)!!!
    Well worth the cost for the protection at the price of losing 1/4-3/8 inch of clearance. The extra wide bumpers are a blessing; but the A-arm protectors have most certainly prevented a few repairs
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorius View Post
    I would highly recommend body/road armor from RCarmor (not sure if there is another band)!!!
    Well worth the cost for the protection at the price of losing 1/4-3/8 inch of clearance. The extra wide bumpers are a blessing; but the A-arm protectors have most certainly prevented a few repairs
    My son was trying to help whilst I was wrenching on vehicles...
    Beginning should read: Highly recommend RCarmor from T-bone Racing

*and sorry for double post, edit time had expired
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...