RC Racer

Good brushless ESC/Motor combo for trails?

I'm hoping to upgrade my TRX-4 Defender to a brushless system over the winter.

Are there any recommended combos that are better for trail running ,but can also be used for rock crawling? Even something similar what the stock motor/ESC offers in terms of speed/torque would be fine. I don't need it to be faster or slower than it already is.

Also, Castle Creations lists lipo specs for their ESC, but no mention of NIMH batteries. I own and use both types of batteries, and I'm hoping that whatever I go with will also work with both.

RC Competitor
    I recently put a Mamba X system in my Bronco. I don't see why you can't run NiMh on it.
    I have the 2850kv, which when in sensored mode is plenty controllable. Especially since you can always adjust gears if needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzleluvr100 View Post
    I don't see why you can't run NiMh on it.
    I've run mixed chemistry batteries on my VLX, third-party brushless, and stock Traxxas ESC's without trouble, but I wonder why Castle doesn't mention NIMH at all on their specs.

How is the Mamba X working for you? Any noticeable improvements to battery life?

RC Competitor
    Haven't had it very long, but I'm thinking it will be more efficient vs the stock brushed setup.

RC Qualifier
    I'm boring and would like to know if any of y'all have tested a VXL 3s system in a TRX-4. How well does it work? I'm low on funds so I can't just blow out a VXL motor on "accident." Basically I need a cheap, powerful, reliable motor. Brushed or Brushless.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Competitor
    If you're ok with staying brushed, the Holmes Hobbies Trail Master motors are a great value (about $20-25usd).
    If you still want to stay brushed but wanted to get a better ESC, the Hobbywing 1080 is the best brushed ESC IMO. (It's about $40usd)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    I'm boring and would like to know if any of y'all have tested a VXL 3s system in a TRX-4. How well does it work? I'm low on funds so I can't just blow out a VXL motor on "accident." Basically I need a cheap, powerful, reliable motor. Brushed or Brushless.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzleluvr100 View Post
    If you're ok with staying brushed, the Holmes Hobbies Trail Master motors are a great value (about $20-25usd).
    If you still want to stay brushed but wanted to get a better ESC, the Hobbywing 1080 is the best brushed ESC IMO. (It's about $40usd)

Awesome! Thank you!
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    I've run mixed chemistry batteries on my VLX, third-party brushless, and stock Traxxas ESC's without trouble, but I wonder why Castle doesn't mention NIMH at all on their specs.

How is the Mamba X working for you? Any noticeable improvements to battery life?
    You can run NiMH on a Mamba X, just like most modern ESCs, lipo cutoff is selectable, although I am not sure how'd you change it without a CastleLink, FieldLink or B-Link.

With that, running NiMH in most situations is not recommend due to the amperage draw exceeding what you average NiMH can give. High-end NiMH top out at about 15C, where you bottom of the barrel lipo starts at about 20C. You can get away with running NiMH on a VXL system because it is one of the more milder brushless systems out there. But, if you use a NiMH on a Castle or other higher end brushless system your battery will get very hot due to the ESC trying to pull too much amperage. However, in a TRX4 (or other crawler), you should be find running a NiMH with a higher end system like a Mamba X if you are running stock gearing, you're really not pulling enough power to tax your battery that much. To be safe though, recommend monitoring your battery temps for the first couple of packs to make sure your battery is happy.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    You can run NiMH on a Mamba X, just like most modern ESCs, lipo cutoff is selectable, although I am not sure how'd you change it without a CastleLink, FieldLink or B-Link.

With that, running NiMH in most situations is not recommend due to the amperage draw exceeding what you average NiMH can give. High-end NiMH top out at about 15C, where you bottom of the barrel lipo starts at about 20C. You can get away with running NiMH on a VXL system because it is one of the more milder brushless systems out there. But, if you use a NiMH on a Castle or other higher end brushless system your battery will get very hot due to the ESC trying to pull too much amperage. However, in a TRX4 (or other crawler), you should be find running a NiMH with a higher end system like a Mamba X if you are running stock gearing, you're really not pulling enough power to tax your battery that much. To be safe though, recommend monitoring your battery temps for the first couple of packs to make sure your battery is happy.

RC Racer
    Run any good 3s esc and an outfunner motor for torque

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin View Post
    Run any good 3s esc and an outfunner motor for torque

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't the outrunner motor be too long to fit in the TRX-4? High gear would be a lot of fun with an outrunner though...
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    Wouldn't the outrunner motor be too long to fit in the TRX-4? High gear would be a lot of fun with an outrunner though...
    Outrunners are normally a bit shorter, so it should fit fine, but verify the width. There are a couple of local guys that run outrunners, they work really well, but sound funny.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    So, I confirmed with Castle that there shouldn't be any issues running Nimh with their system - they recommended the 2280kv for stock performance using NiMH, but I also wonder what the 2850kv would provide (either with Nimh or a 2s lipo) since I may not always be running Nimh on this rig.

Has anyone used both motors?