Thread: 1/10 scale UDR?

RC Qualifier

1/10 scale UDR?

Losi is all alone in the 1/10 trophy truck market and personally I think they need a little competition. Traxxas needs to build a 1/10 scale UDR (or similar truck). Maybe an updated slash with solid rear axle? Or a new model entirely? I would love to see this happen because I might actually be able to afford one.

Any thoughts?
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Qualifier
    I think part of the charm of the UDR is its size and weight are right in the sweet spot for handling bumpy terrain at speed. The Baja Rey is too light weight to take terrain the way the UDR does. I cancelled my order on a Baja Rey after i saw the UDR in action.

RC Competitor
    I would love to see this happen because I might actually be able to afford one.
    In my opinion, the UDR is good the way it is. Save your pennies man.

RC Racer
    I don't know if you could ever get a 1/10 size truck to perform like the UDR, the size and weight of the thing is a big part of why it handles so much smoother then say slash.

That said I would however likely buy one if they made one if for no other reason then simply for the detailed scale appearance the UDR has compared to the slash.
    RC's4-UDR/6-XMax/?-Slash/1-Rust4X/4-E-rev/4-E-maxx

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cc1999 View Post
    I don't know if you could ever get a 1/10 size truck to perform like the UDR, the size and weight of the thing is a big part of why it handles so much smoother then say slash.

That said I would however likely buy one if they made one if for no other reason then simply for the detailed scale appearance the UDR has compared to the slash.
    Yeah I was just thinking about that this morning actually...

The extra weight does indeed make it more scale. Say your average full scale trophy truck is 6,000lbs. Your tenth scale trophy truck would truly need to be 600lbs and make 100hp.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

Quote Originally Posted by cc1999 View Post

Actually, you can with a scratch build. And yes, weight is your friend. 8-10 lb rigs, desert blazers, not aerial bashers. Check YouTube for CyconXC's videos, he's probably the best known for the smaller TTs. I do class 1 cars, not trucks, they work just like the 1:1 counterpart.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    Yeah I was just thinking about that this morning actually...

The extra weight does indeed make it more scale. Say your average full scale trophy truck is 6,000lbs. Your tenth scale trophy truck would truly need to be 600lbs and make 100hp.
    I think the weight scales by the cube, so 1/10 scale is 1/1000 weight (volume is LxWxH, so if you scale a dimension by 1/10, the volume is reduced by the cube, or 1/1000, and volume is related to weight).

So, a 6000lb truck in 1/10 scale would weigh 6lbs, and have 1hp. The UDR is 1/7 scale, so its weight should be 1/350 of 6000, or 21lbs, and have 3.5hp. It is not as heavy or as powerful as a true 1/7 scale truck should be.

I think this is all correct, but chime in if I messed something up!

You are correct. Weight is cubed, per scale of the vehicle. The equation you can't scale is gravity. If you could squeeze another inch of wheel travel out of your UDR, your mind would be blown all the more in performance. Dog bones up front are one travel limiter. Then you have speed. Scale speeds are too slow. Nobody goes 300 mph either!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    Nobody goes 300 mph either!!!
    That's a shame. The cube scaling method does make far more sense though.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    if you really want a 10th scale udr, you can custom make them.

this is not mine, I stole this picture off a ebay listing.

its got the front end of a slash 4x4 and the rear off a axial yeti.

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

evocustoms.com
    EvoCustomsRc on Facebook.
    That is Justin's stuff (CyconXc)

RC Racer
    I think Traxxas knocked it out of the park with the size and weight of the UDR. The weight is what gives It that feel and scale suspension movement. After driving my UDR and seeing how scale it drives I drove my Slash and was just disappointed in how it drove. We got spoiled with the awesomeness of the UDR. Slash is up for sale now.
    Traxxas UDR Fox Edition, TRX4, Slash 4x4.

RC Enthusiast
    my buddy got his 10 yr old a UDR for christmas... thing is amazing! Suspension is just incredible.