RC poster

First gen XO1 upgrade with TSM ?

Just picked up a first gen XO , without TSM. The car came with the apple dock TQI. Already have the new version TQi with bluetooth module from my XMaxx.
    I just want to add TSM to my first gen XO and use my bluetooth TQi for both my Xmaxx and XO.

1 Do i just need to buy the TSM receiver?
    2 Can I also lock/unlock the (100mph) ESC with my bluetooth Tqi instead of the one with apple dock?
    3 do I need to update the (stock first gen) XO servo as well to get TSM ?

All these TQi versions and receivers are a bit confusing. Thanks!

1: Yes
    2: Yes
    3: No

You can do everything you could before with the dock as you can the Bluetooth app. With the new receiver you will have to bind it to the transmitter. To do so do the following.
    press and hold the transmitter's SET button as you turn it on. Press and hold the receiver's LINK button as you power up your model, then wait for the transmitter's and receiver's status LEDs to turn solid green—which only takes a second or two.

You can then lock the receiver to the transmitter by going into the app under garage, model memory and tap the padlock so it’s locked. You might have to program the multifunction knob on the transmitter so that it controls the TSM. Please refer to the menu tree in the manual as to how this is done.

If you have any questions or something doesn’t go right, we’re here to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Charger Man; 09-11-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    115 mph Heavily Moddified Slash 4x4 on 6s

RC poster
    Thank you very much for your detailed info! Much appreciated

RC poster
    May I use your XO knowledge again. My car came with the standard bumper, no splitter included. Is it correct that i just need to order part number 6433 to get the complete splitter ? In the parts list various splitter related parts (extensions?) can be found.

Thanks!

Also have pretty hard time removing the receiver box. The box must be lifted to get the antenna of the old non-TSM RX out.

Sorry for all my noob questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmirage View Post
    May I use your XO knowledge again. My car came with the standard bumper, no splitter included. Is it correct that i just need to order part number 6433 to get the complete splitter ? In the parts list various splitter related parts (extensions?) can be found.

Thanks!

Also have pretty hard time removing the receiver box. The box must be lifted to get the antenna of the old non-TSM RX out.

Sorry for all my noob questions.
    Yes, part #6434 includes the new splitter with the extensions. For removing the receiver, the receiver box can stay where it is. Only the cover needs to come off. There is one screw to remove and the other side has a flange that hooks into the receiver box. The receiver itself is stuck with double sided tape, to remove, slowly and gently pry the bottom of one side with a flat blade screwdriver.

Last edited by Charger Man; 09-12-2018 at 12:32 PM.

RC poster
    Thank you sir! I did however discover that it is nearly impossible to remove the RX antenna wire without lifting the receiver box. The small wire runs through a very small gap and the metal part of the antenna wire cannot go through this without bending (breaking) it. Already found an old post with some hints for lifting the receiver box.

Searching for TSM i found some very old topics people did not like TSM at all on their XO’s when it was released on other models initially and people installed it themselves just like I am doing now. Hopefully the technology has improved and it is a nice extra feature for the XO. Otherwise this receiver upgrade was a waste of time/money.... hope not.

Thanks for your help !

RC Competitor
    Thank you sir! I did however discover that it is nearly impossible to remove the RX antenna wire without lifting the receiver box. The small wire runs through a very small gap and the metal part of the antenna wire cannot go through this without bending (breaking) it. Already found an old post with some hints for lifting the receiver box.

Searching for TSM i found some very old topics people did not like TSM at all on their XO’s when it was released on other models initially and people installed it themselves just like I am doing now. Hopefully the technology has improved and it is a nice extra feature for the XO. Otherwise this receiver upgrade was a waste of time/money.... hope not.

Thanks for your help !
    I have some experience with the older tsm modules not working with android and the current part# 6533 receiver. The older tsm modules don't have the patent number on it. It only works with an iphone app. The newer module has the patent number on it and it works with both android and iphone. I use several radios with the newer modules and android just fine including my 1st gen xo. Oh and you do have to loosen the box to get the antenna through.
    Last edited by Jupiter; 09-12-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks for your help !
    I forgot about the non-bendable metal part of the antenna. I’m glad you got it! When I use tsm for high speed runs I keep it around 20-50%. That way if I need to turn and miss something I still can and it keeps it tracking straight. Anything above 60% steering movements are limited and at 100% its very sensitive and can sometimes cause speed wobbles if you hit even a small rock.

RC poster
    It works! Installed new receiver with TSM and perfect! Do i need to worry about firmware updates from the XO Esc? It could be one of the first XO’s that were available that I picked up. Mine has stock motor/ESC setup.