RC Qualifier

Steering issue: Transmitter or what?

The steering wheel on my TQi transmitter has a larger "throw" or steering angle than the servo. That is, the servo reaches the endpoints both ways much earlier than the steering wheel. Is this normal on the TRX-4? My other TQi radio (2-channel) doesn't have this issue.

I've tried rebinding and resetting to factory specs, but no luck.

It all depends on how the endpoints are set. Rebinding and resetting really won't do anything for you in this case, other than remove any setting you already have.

First, do your wheels turn full left and full right when you turn the wheel on the TX? They should do so with just a little bit of servo whine. If not, then you need to change the end points on the radio. If this is the case, then your radio is set up properly, and the extra movement you have on the TX wheel doesn't matter.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    The steering wheel on my TQi transmitter has a larger "throw" or steering angle than the servo. That is, the servo reaches the endpoints both ways much earlier than the steering wheel. Is this normal on the TRX-4? My other TQi radio (2-channel) doesn't have this issue.

I've tried rebinding and resetting to factory specs, but no luck.
    With my trucks, I had to set the steering endpoints so that the servo wasn't mashing up against anything, which I suspect was happening with my Defender's servo that died in less than a few hours of use.

I set the endpoints through the TQi app via the Traxxs bluetooth module, but it can be done through the transmitter's menus (check the manual for instructions).

RC Qualifier
    If you have the bluetooth module and the app then there's a chance that app is messing up the truck. I had that problem for awhile with my TRX-4 where the throttle endpoints kept being set to zero for no obvious reason. Updated the app, no problems since.
    It would seem that I'm the Thread Killer.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, guys!

@Greatscott: Yes, I have tried resetting the endpoints to factory default, and I'm certain nothing binds mechanically. The wheels turn fully both ways without straining the servo. You're probably right I just have to live with this - I just wanted to know if anyone else have noticed this.

@Trailwalker: I have reduced the throw by setting the endpoints to avoid exceeding the angle on the "CV"-joints.

@Sprinkletron: I don't have the Bluetooth module, yet. Maybe it's worth getting one and perform an update...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    If you have the bluetooth module and the app then there's a chance that app is messing up the truck. I had that problem for awhile with my TRX-4 where the throttle endpoints kept being set to zero for no obvious reason. Updated the app, no problems since.
    And to add to that, it seems that running the app will override any settings your controller might have. This happened a few times with me so I have to check things every time I go out just in case.

Are you still having trouble? Some one correct me if I'm wrong but I think the tqi has steering exponential, no?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Competitor
    I use the exponential steering and it changes the servo throw by scaling back the input. 100% on the wheel will output incrementally less servo motion. Opposite of the OP's situation. Sounds like endpoint settings are wrong.

Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Hi guys, my trx4 has less sensitivity of steering when drive forward.But it is nothing wrong when moving backwards.Sometimes it shows proper handling.this problem was with factory fitted servo and also now with newly replaced servo.I tried with steering sensitivity expo....but it's still there. ..plz help someone to fix my truck

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    Hi guys, my trx4 has less sensitivity of steering when drive forward.But it is nothing wrong when moving backwards.Sometimes it shows proper handling.this problem was with factory fitted servo and also now with newly replaced servo.I tried with steering sensitivity expo....but it's still there. ..plz help someone to fix my truck
    Check to make sure you have no binding in the steering assembly. It sounds like something is fighting the servo
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it