RC Enthusiast

Traxxas Air RCs waterproof/resistant?

Hey all,

Looking into buying an aircraft to complement my fleet of ground vehicles.

I'm looking for one that can withstand a little bit of rain/snowy weather. I'm not planning on landing in puddles, but if it could, it'd be a plus :P

If they're not waterproofed from the get-go, is there a way to make it WP/resistent?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-12-2018 at 06:38 AM.

Neither Alias or Aton are advertised as waterproof.

I've been flying when it's started raining and landed right away without issue, but I would not suggest actively flying in the rain / mist / snow / etc.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC Qualifier
    I've flown in the light rain / snow and sub zero temps many times .... no problems for me . Like T-Slinger says not really recommended but i like life on the edge :-)

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies

I've been looking into this and it seems like waterproofing isn't all that common. Noticed that a retailer had the regular Aton with 25 % off so I went for it. Suppose I'll have to live with it not being waterproof

I need some advice regarding something though.
    I have a lot of Traxxas-batteries for the RC ground vehicles (x4 3s 5000 mAh, x2 2s 5800 mAh, x1 3s 8400 mAh, then more of other brands).

My issue is that the 5000 mAh optional battery for the Aton is about 20 mm shorter and 2 mm less width than the ones for the ground vehicles. Does the Aton have some spare room to allow for these batteries to fit.

RC Qualifier
    Battery box is tight !
    i've been creative getting many different 3s batteries work in my Aton
    Last edited by hemidoo; 09-15-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: more

RC poster
    Waterproofing of electronics is common. Potting of small electronic components in a dielectric substrate like epoxy or butyl is used by many RC manufacturers to waterproof components. It's incorporated into the design of ESCs and receivers used in a variety of Traxxas products.

Coatings are another option. Golden Shellback is one that comes to mind. Reliable, proven track record, and inexpensive. Their website is no longer functional but their waterproof coatings for electronics are available from SCS Coatings. (same technology marketed as Parylene conformal coating).

Eric Dawicki was one of the partners that funded Golden Shellback, last time I spoke to Eric (2013) he said he was promoting the product and looking to expand sales channels into ebay, Amazon, and specialized niche and hobbyist markets.

https://scscoatings.com/?gclid=coggn...frko3wodrdt-aa
    Last edited by aerangis; 09-20-2018 at 08:31 PM.