RC poster

Key 1/16 Upgrades

At the risk of seeming cliche, Iím looking for recommendations on the most impactful tweaks to make to my 1/16 Summit VXL. Iíve been really enjoying it but have found myself wishing it was bigger and faster, so attempting to tweak it a bit before I commit to the new E-Revo.

Already ordered stuffed rear springs to resolve the squatting issue. Also toe links and push rods because why not. Also a Savox servo because Iíve killed three of the stock ones now (thanks for the help on the other thread)

Is it worth replacing the control arms? Or, lowering it to the E-Revo height with the linkages? Wheel/tire improvements?

I have also been unsure whether getting Lipos is worth it or not. I share it with my six year old, so the Nimh seems like a better choice, but the Lipos make a world of difference in my TRX4...can the VXL run 4 or 6s with the serial harness or is that silly/crazy?

Sorry for the smorgasbord of questions. Happy bashing!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by thekevmeister View Post
    At the risk of seeming cliche, Iím looking for recommendations on the most impactful tweaks to make to my 1/16 Summit VXL. Iíve been really enjoying it but have found myself wishing it was bigger and faster, so attempting to tweak it a bit before I commit to the new E-Revo.

Already ordered stuffed rear springs to resolve the squatting issue. Also toe links and push rods because why not. Also a Savox servo because Iíve killed three of the stock ones now (thanks for the help on the other thread)

Is it worth replacing the control arms? Or, lowering it to the E-Revo height with the linkages? Wheel/tire improvements?

I have also been unsure whether getting Lipos is worth it or not. I share it with my six year old, so the Nimh seems like a better choice, but the Lipos make a world of difference in my TRX4...can the VXL run 4 or 6s with the serial harness or is that silly/crazy?

Sorry for the smorgasbord of questions. Happy bashing!
    The stock vxl system can't handle 4s or 6s. It can only go up to 3s, or two nihm batteries in series for 14.4 volts. I recently upgraded to the vxl system myself and I couldn't be happier. It has a 25 tooth pinion and stock vxl setup. On a Venom 2s 35c lipo pack, the car performs amazing. It would even say its close to 40mph on just 2s alone. There is another thing you can do however. You can buy the castle 1/10th sv3-sv4 motor combo. They are incredibly powerful. You would need the brushed motor mount and the brushed motor mount plate. I did this swap in my car and on 2s I couldn't get it past half throttle lol. I'm guessing it was going 30-35mph with only half throttle. I took it out and bought the vxl setup because it was to powerful and I had already destroyed the diff. But I mean if your one of those guys who either likes to see his car fly apart in pieces, or you have a very steady trigger finger then I would recommend it. One of the first things you should have already done is shim both the front and rear differentials. That allows them to be able to handle more power then they would otherwise be able to. The mini cars aren't really meant for speed. its fun to try to mod the heck out of them but eventually it just costs to much and you have to look at the car for what it is. Other than that, the only other upgrades I would do would be the axles and maybe another steering servo as well. Hope this helped