RC poster

need help tuning please help

hi i have a tmaxx 2.5 r that i got back from getting repinched i broke it in and now im on to the tuning stage it runs fine lots of power then its still warming up but then it gets the normal temp it bogs down when i try to give it gas and sometimes it is harder to start i checked glow plug its good new fuel and stuff brand new gas tank i need specific help with hsn and lsn never done this before it has blue smoke when its warming up thanks do i need to take the carb apart and clean it or just try again in the spring it is cold one day then warm the other
    Last edited by sniperdude; 09-14-2018 at 09:15 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff

RC poster
    any help would be really helpful

RC Qualifier
    Falling on its face (dying) when applying throttle is sign of being lean on the bottom
    fabricator

RC Racer
    You want it to have some smoke when you gas it. A sign of being lean is no smoke and as said above, bogging down as well when applying throttle. Adjust your fuel to air mixture to where you show a good trial of smoke when you take off. I wound rather have a motor run rich then to run one lean.

RC poster
    Ok thanks guys for the help

RC poster
    Ok so it dies and sputters while I’m holding the gas is the top end to lean it to rich? Thanks

If it won't get out of 1st gear and sounds like it is gurgling then it is rich.

If it sounds like it is choking then it is lean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP85V_QKcFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSL16dmMebE
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    I have tried adjusting the high speed both ways and it didn’t do anything still dies when it gets hot

RC Racer
    Also check for any leaks. Make sure the glow plug is tight and not leaking sir as well as the exhaust and carb. Any air leak is no beanu! Hope you get it resolved.

RC poster
    How do I check the carb for air leaks

RC poster
    do i just need to get a new carb or get a hole new engine

RC poster

Tuning help

When it gets running it looses blue smoke and stalls and bogs under power itís only running 150f not hot at all what do I do thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Im still kind of new to the nitro scene but what motor is in your truck? Is it broken in already? What fuel are you using?

RC poster
    Its a 2.5r in a T-Maxx Iím using 20% top fuel yes I just broke it in and now Iím trying to fine tune it

it runs good with lots of smoke when cool but when it gets to normal temp it looses all smoke and wants to bog then it has some throttle
    Last edited by Double G; 09-19-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Iíve not experienced complete loss of smoke when up to normal temp (220f to 290f) but I have noticed when my pro .15 and a friends trx 3.3 get up to temp the smoke isnt as thick but still very noticeable and steady.

I find it somewhat hard to explain how to tune without being there in person. With the needles at factory default, when it gets up above 220F your saying all smoking stops? Also what glow plug you got in it?

RC poster
    i have the stock traxxas one in it whatever they gave me it does not say if its hot medium or cold it does not get above 220 it when i ran it yesterday it was 150 at the block with it lossing power when i gas it do i need to richen it or lean the bottem end?

RC Enthusiast
    Measure temp at the glow plug and take multiple readings. Usually after break in you can lean it a tad more on the high speed needle but if its losing smoke during throttle i would richen it.
    These two videos may help.

High Speed Needle

Low Speed

RC poster
    ok cool thanks so much for the help if i had to have the hobby shop do it it would be 40 but when i had them help before they didnt charge anything should i take it back to the factory setting on the high speed i put the low back to factory and it wouldnt start

RC Enthusiast
    The suckiest thing about having the hobby shop do it is that you will have to adjust it yourself eventually anyways. If you have a new glow plug to put in it and havent changed the plug out since breaking it in I would definitely do that, trx 2.5 and 3.3 use TRA3232X. I know with my pro 15 i broke it in and then later on could not get it to stay running and it was a pain to even get it to want to start. Changed plug, reset needles to factory, still wouldnt stay running, switched back to the original plug i broke it in with and havent had a problem since.

Try to find out how many turns out the low speed should be for factory and go with that. The high speed is the first one you have to mess with before even going on to the low speed. Good luck.

RC poster
    ok ill try that when i get home ill try i have 2 plugs that work that might keep it from bogging and run right with lots of power?