RC poster

How to stop gears from shredding???

Hey guys about 8 months ago I bought a VXL rusty after already owning an XL-5 and just now I've fixed it since I would like to sell the cars and buy the new 4x4. however when I bought the VXL the guy said it ran fine but i ran it through half the battery (maybe 10 minutes) and the esc started smoking and all the gears where shreaded now that i want to sell it I got the esc and all the gears plus a bunch of new screws since all the old ones were rusted when I bought it but the car won't run without the gears breaking. I thought maybe the pinion and the spur didn't work together since it isn't stock gearing there's currently a 26 tooth pinion and the stock 83 spur but they are both 48 pitch. Any help would be appreciated!

Which gears are shredding, the plastic spur gear?

Make sure your spur/pinion mesh is set corrctly, the gears are not wobbly (bad bearings?) and your slipper is loose enough. It's there to protect your drivetrain.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC poster
    Its the idler gear that keeps shredding But my bearings look good and the slipper clutch is definitely tight. I use lithium grease and i've read you don't need much so last time this happened I just used a pea sized drop. Also before I had put the tranny back together i was sure to clean the excess grease out best i could and also the teeth no longer attached to a gear got cleaned out.

Quote Originally Posted by LachlanIC27 View Post
    Its the idler gear that keeps shredding But my bearings look good and the slipper clutch is definitely tight. I use lithium grease and i've read you don't need much so last time this happened I just used a pea sized drop. Also before I had put the tranny back together i was sure to clean the excess grease out best i could and also the teeth no longer attached to a gear got cleaned out.
    You don't want the slipper tight, you want it looser so that it slips when the drivetrain is under duress. Watch some videos on YouTube on how to set the slipper correctly.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    You don't want the slipper tight, you want it looser so that it slips when the drivetrain is under duress.
    Yup, go all of they way tight, then back it off about 1/4 turn.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Thanks guys!

I shredded my idler gear in my stampede recently with a stock XL-5 setup, LOL. Turns out I had the slipper all the way tight. I have no idea how long it was like that!
    Revo .18TM
    BL Rustler
    Stampede
    HPI Sprint 2