Thread: New to Traxxas

RC poster

New to Traxxas

Hi guys, first off, just wanted to intro myself, name is Mark, Im old hand with RC cars planes and Helos, but this is my first Traxxas.
    I was looking to upgrade my Slash, and was wondering where was the best place to look for parts, and what name brand parts are the best,
    Id like to get a aluminum bel crank and titanium turn buckles .
    Also would love to find a old car body to fit ..
    Thanks for any suggestions ...

RC Racer
    Welcome to the Traxxas community!

Best place to look for parts would be eBay or Amazon, either one always has what I want.

RPM, Proline, Hot Racing, and MIP are some very good and durable brands. Definetly worth buying for durability.

What kind of old car body are you looking for?

RC poster
    Hi jainm, thanks for the reply, I actually just found a 40 Ford body on ebay ..
    What mods have you done to your Slash ?
    I heard the Aluminum turn buckles, will bend easy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Clear-R...53.m1438.l2649

RC Racer
    I'm currently in the process of converting my Slash 2WD into a speed runner. If you're interested, I can send you some pictures of it so far. If you're interested in knowing which parts I'm using as well, feel free to ask questions

As far as turn buckles go, I've stuck with stock and they've held up for 6 months of bashing and speed runs. Haven't broken a pair yet! I'd keep the stock turn buckles and focus more on other parts of the car.

RC poster
    Hey jainm, yea Id like to see your speed runner, and am very interested in knowing what parts you have upgraded...
    Thanks

A little late to the party...Welcome to the forum!

You mentioned titanium and I have to mention a business located in my home state of Orygun named Lunsford Racing. Check out their website, they make great titanium parts.

I have updated several bell-cranks and I wonder if it is more for show than anything else. The plastic is lighter and has some flex in it which may help a bit preventing broken parts. I have used the Traxxas cranks as well as STRC and Hot racing...my favorites are the HR and the Traxxas system. You may be better off upgrading a different part first.

I'm not sure about the old body shell question...good luck with that.

Let us know how we can help.
    MTFBWY

Slash parts brands that are good: Traxxas, Proline, Jconcepts, STRC, Lunsford
    Hit or miss: Hot Racing, RPM

I like buying parts from amain.com
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OTHRacer View Post
    Hi guys, first off, just wanted to intro myself, name is Mark, Im old hand with RC cars planes and Helos, but this is my first Traxxas.
    I was looking to upgrade my Slash, and was wondering where was the best place to look for parts, and what name brand parts are the best,
    Id like to get a aluminum bel crank and titanium turn buckles .
    Also would love to find a old car body to fit ..
    Thanks for any suggestions ...
    Welcome aboard. What are your plans for your slash? What kind of performance stuff, you planning on street or offroad? Like some of the others have said, strict, traxxas, proline, hot racing. I've got aluminum 4x4 bell cranks on mine and love them. Tool alot of the slop out too.

RC Racer
    RPM as Hit or miss? I've purchased many RPM products in the past and have had 0 issues with them, they work great and are extremely durable. One brand that I advise you stay away from is Integy, their products are trash and break very easily. I went through three sets of aluminum driveshafts in a week by backing into a curb, hitting a small jump, and flipping over.

RPM stuff is too gummy for my purposes, their arms especially. If you want your truck to drive and crash like a bowl of jello, they're great.

But I'm not driving anywhere where curbs and trees jump out at you, so just depends on what you're looking for.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    A little late to the party...Welcome to the forum!
    Not as late as me. Welcome to our awesome community!

I love the RPM parts as I'm super harsh on my rigs and they just won't break no matter what it do. I also love to use dollarhobbyz.com for my RC needs. They have awesome prices and pretty quick shipping time in Texas. I don't remember if they carry RPM parts or not though. I know they carry Traxxas factory upgrades though. Protoform makes some nice old style bodies for slashes. STRC makes a very nice bellcrank.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RPM parts are flexi flyer, good for some things, bad for others. They also put structure in different locations than stock, patricularly Jato front arms, guys going long travel. Not with RPM arms. Trans case is awesome. It appears you're building a street car, I'd go as stiff as possible on the plastic parts for consistant performance. For what its worth, someone needs to make a kit to reduce caster for the road cars, they'd work way better.

RC poster
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies, I took the advice given here and bought a bunch of upgrades for my Slash, probably some not needed, but Im kinda retarded like that..
    Ill post back here in a couple days with the parts I got, easyer for me to post pictures than type out all the stuff I bought..
    No plan set in stone for the Slash, just love running RC cars, there is a round track close to my house so I plan on running it there as often as possible and on the street more often,
    I did find a old school body for it, a 1940 Ford coupe body, I think it looks **** ..
    Thanks again guys ...