RC poster

RC's in SkateParks and Etiquette

Story for all you RC Bashers out there. I'm about 2-3 months new to this. I'm 35. Got 1 kid, another on the way. RC bashing is the cheaper alternative to sim racing, and it involves going outside, rather than sitting at a computer, so the wife and kid approve. That's a bit about me.

So lately I've been getting out early on saturday's to go to skate parks outside of my local neighborhood. (Milwaukee / West Allis). This past weekend I went to a nice skate park in Wauwatosa. It's bigger, and there's alot more for an RC to do. plus there's a massive ramp / platform that ends, turns into a sloping grass hill, so it's perfect for doing big jumps off of, and landing reasonably without destroying the RC's from direct impact with the ground.

So, I show up a second time - the first time was short lived because 2 bolts decided to come loose / strip out from the rear wing / chassis brace rear screw. Super annoyed, but I saw what went wrong, added blue locktite, and it re-threaded just fine and holds firm... - But this second time showing up, there's some skaters, and some scooters at the park.

I see them on the other side, give a nod, and (like always), asked if they cared if I run the RC, and pointed where I would be running it (the one ramp at the end that no one was using at all), and told em I'd keep outa their way. ...Nothing but silence, and 2 dudes, staring back at me. The rest were kids and riding / not paying attention. Then I hear the heavily bearded hipster looking one say "yeah, we do mind, this is a skate park, for skate boards." My smile began to fade, and I'm hearing mumbling from where they were standing, as if they're contemplating whether a fight is about to break out. I say, "oh...wait are you serious or you just messin with me? ( I had that happen at the skatepark that I live by, but that dude laughed and was like, nah I'm just playin. you better do a big jump though. etc.) So this time, I'm like 50/50 not sure whether this is the same sort of humor. After all, my experiences talking to skateboarders have been mostly positive, in fact, they're the ones most receptive and most mature, and often close to my age, at least compared to scooter guys. So anywho, back to the current situation. This bearded guy gets louder and is like, "NO I'm not kidding." I say oh, y'know it's not like I'll be all over, I'm just gona be over here doin a few jumps." " He responds, "YEah no last time a guy was here with an RC it hit a kid on the head." - randomly pointing at one of the younger kids - So at this point I'm already a bit puzzled, and I say well, I didn't really see any rules posted stating that RC's aren't allo-". - then he cut me off and pointed out that there was no rules against me driving the jeep I had parked over in the lot into the skate part either, etc. etc. At this point I'm turning off the radio and ESC and packin up, kind of laughing out of surprise and confusion. I say, "Well, hey, I did genuinely ask out of respect for other skaters and riders here, and since you have a problem w/ it, I'll head out."
    didn't hear em say anything after. just went back to the local skatepark nearest my house.

So, after that experience, I just was thinking I'd ask you all if you're experiences going to skate parks have been good or bad.
    My general rules so far have been:
    * Don't go when it's most busy.
    * Ask anyone who's riding if they mind if I run it for like 10 min, or until I break it. (often gets a laugh and breaks the ice).
    * keep plenty of distance from anyone.
    *Don't dive in on a ramp, snake, or change direction suddenly.
    *find a routine that's predictable that's not in anyone's way.
    *stop in place if there's a ride who's path might cross, and let em by.

I think those rules generally are the reason that the regulars at the place right by my house are welcoming. I might be the only one with an RC, besides one other guy who's my age, and who I've met, lol. (another Traxxas owner).

- Wondering whether to return for another round to the other park in Wauwatosa. Maybe I'll post picks of the two and see what you guys think is better.

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-20-2018 at 10:44 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    As long as the wife approves, get some real time bashing in the wee early hours of the morning. Skaters have power in numbers so bring a pal who enjoys filming while you fly high above the park.
    "Lead, follow or get out of the way".

Seems like your respectful of the park. Like you, when I go to a skate park I get there basically at dawn. I'll run until kids show up, these toy trucks have some weight on them. The E-REVO especial, I would hate to hit a kid and cause bodily harm.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Competitor
    I normally go early mornings before the skaters turn up

RC poster
    Lol other dads like myself who also go out to bash in the early morning hours, lol. I wonder if the demographic I fall into was a primary Target when they put out the E-Revo 2.0 ad and promo campaign lol.
    That'll be the key hours to go then: early morning.
    Is it bad that even after getting a jlb cheetah, a thunder tiger mt4 g3 and an E-Revo 2.0, I still want an Xmaxx? Lol.
    Probably from seeing all the footage of them at skateparks on YouTube. Yeesh, this hobby is addicting.

Ha, you gotta get out and break some stuff sometimes! I love bashing/crawling with my boy but every once in a while it's nice to not have to worry and loose yourself in the driving experience.

RC Competitor
    My route to my current collection started when i was 12, I'm now 41.

Everything from when i was a kid became lost when i found drink and girls.

Then about 10 years ago I fancied building a lunch box, as it was an itch id never scratched as a kid.

Then my son came along and i had a legitimate route back to a hobby i loved. I brought him an Outlaw which he very quickly outgrew. I got myself a secondhand slash and was very impressed. I swiftly upgraded this to a VXL.

We then got an Outcast which was swiftly followed by a brand new 2.0. It was only a few months ago that i got the X-Maxx.

We both love them all, as they all offer something very different.

Loved your original post, its slightly different in the UK as tracks are not as abundant. The ones we do have, have the tendency to be unused and overgrown, which works in our favour. I don't use skate board ramps as its too easy to damage the cars (learnt the hard way). The one i know too and did use, if it had kids near it, i stayed away.

Get yourself an X-Maxx youll love it ;-)

This thread inspired me to revisit the video of my son, driving the O.G. erevo, in a skate park, for 10 consecutive minutes without it breaking. It was a win for the erevo!

I've been bashing at the same parks and skate park for 15+ years near me. In all those years, I have found 10-12 people to RC with on and off and only 1 was nearly as cautious as I am when kids are around. Usually if I pull up and 1 or 2 people are at the skate park, I'll do what you did and keep to my side as best as possible and move opposite of them as they move.

If there are 3+ people there, I usually just go find to a park and if people are there, I go home and try the next day.

The other 11 people I've bashed with have absolutely no regard for other people. Why, I don't know. None of which were under 20yrs old.

I err on the side of caution. The last thing I need is a mom haircut calling the cops and kicking me out of a place I enjoy bashing at.

The spots to run are too few and far between to risk losing one locally. As it is, I get up at 6am, get charged and out the door by 7:30 to get there by 8am to avoid people. I run a pack in 2 trucks, then drive 35 miles to another skatepark. Run a pack and another 15 miles to another. If I'm lucky, I'll drive 80 miles on a day off be out the door at 7:30am and getting back home at 5-6pm and run through 5-6 sets of packs in 2 trucks. Those are the good days.
    Expert rigging at it's best!