Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    What size shaft is on that motor?
    Should be 8mm

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Should be 8mm
    Yep both the TP and the Leopard have 8mm shafts.

RC Qualifier
    Picked up some proline badlands for general use. Was surprised to see how big they are! The MadMax are the larger of this series at190mm x 70mm and the badlands are still bigger...

The MadMax will remain my speed tires till I get some foams built.

Recently installed the front diff and the belt drive is ready to test... just waiting on this winter storm to clear out.

RC Qualifier
    Are the Badlands taller then the stock ones ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Are the Badlands taller then the stock ones ?
    Same as stock. My xmaxx was purchased used with the MadMax installed so I was not aware these were smaller than stock.

Either way they are incredibly heavy and wider so they won't be making the truck any faster... many YouTube tests indicate losing approx 3-4mph with these proline versus stock 8s wheels/tires.
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 01-04-2019 at 06:53 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks, I was really curious to the size difference thinking the MadMax were the same as stock, the tread pattern looks similar to the Badlands.

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks, I was really curious to the size difference thinking the MadMax were the same as stock, the tread pattern looks similar to the Badlands.
    The grip on the MadMax is excellent and they are very light. The MadMax being a more narrow tire is also good for speed (aerodynamics and weight both). My issue is that they wear extremly fast on pavement. I tihnk I have only a few more uses in them before I'll have to replace the tires on them. It will be interesting to see how far I can push the Proline tires in speed. I believe the fastest I have seen on them is around 63mph.

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    The grip on the MadMax is excellent and they are very light. The MadMax being a more narrow tire is also good for speed (aerodynamics and weight both). My issue is that they wear extremly fast on pavement. I tihnk I have only a few more uses in them before I'll have to replace the tires on them. It will be interesting to see how far I can push the Proline tires in speed. I believe the fastest I have seen on them is around 63mph.

-Liberty
    Were happy at 36 mph (according to the stock gauges) it seems really fast on our property lol. I can't imagine going anywhere near what a few of you have done with these big rc's and with the speed and weight any wipeout would probably be catasrophic and hope it doesn't happen it would be a heart breaker. We love watching the videos and look forward to seeing your top speed and your rig intact.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

-Liberty
    Iím at 61.7 and havenít maxed it out yet. This weekend looks promising, if it dries up enough. Love to make a few passes with the Rustler as well. 106 is too close to 110 to let it go

RC Qualifier
    Iím at 61.7 and havenít maxed it out yet. This weekend looks promising, if it dries up enough. Love to make a few passes with the Rustler as well. 106 is too close to 110 to let it go
    I hear ya on that. I'm not sure how far I want to push this X-Maxx. It has distracted me from my legit speed project car. I think I'd be happy with 80 on the XMaxx and then make it back to a gear ratio for general bashing.

I plan on getting some cool video with telemetry speed data this next time out. Should make the video much more interesting.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I hear ya on that. I'm not sure how far I want to push this X-Maxx. It has distracted me from my legit speed project car. I think I'd be happy with 80 on the XMaxx and then make it back to a gear ratio for general bashing.

I plan on getting some cool video with telemetry speed data this next time out. Should make the video much more interesting.
    Yeah Iíll be honest, Iím done with speed as an investment for the X-Maxx. Iíve still got a 39 tooth pinion to play with. Iím gonna get some larger batteries to offset the runtime loss that comes with this gearing. I do love how it runs, and heat is still not really a concern Iíve seen.

RC Qualifier
    Man these beadlocks are time consuming!

Rit dyed the rings to match the truck. Starting to look nice!

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    Are those bead locks plastic or aluminum ? and how exactly do they attach ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are those bead locks plastic or aluminum ? and how exactly do they attach ?
    Theyíre plastic. 40 screws per wheel. Quick connect for install is almost mandatory. The tires have matching holes in them. Itís really an awesome design. I went SS with mine after I got tired of looking at rust.

RC Qualifier
    Theyíre plastic. 40 screws per wheel. Quick connect for install is almost mandatory. The tires have matching holes in them. Itís really an awesome design. I went SS with mine after I got tired of looking at rust.
    Yeah I might go with S.S. later also. Looks sharp!
    These tires so far are great! Love the howl on the street.
    The number of screws is a bit overkill and does not help the Badlands biggest down side extra weight...

I converted back to mod 1gears 29/46. My belt was slipping also unless I set it up with too much belt tension.(just like GripDog7205 experienced)

I'll be doing some tests tomorrow (with video) stay tuned.

-Liberty
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 01-08-2019 at 11:29 PM.

RC Qualifier
    They definitely look good on both of your trucks after looking up your tires and rims I understand now how they go together. I was looking at the stock Xmaxx rims and there is only 2 small nipples below every spoke that leaves a large gap between and I assumed you had to drill the rest but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Besides looking good is there any benifit to the sidewalls of the tires ? and do they help any for impacts to the rims themselves ? Sorry guys I've never seen them on or used in real life just pictures.

RC Qualifier
    They definitely look good on both of your trucks after looking up your tires and rims I understand now how they go together. I was looking at the stock Xmaxx rims and there is only 2 small nipples below every spoke that leaves a large gap between and I assumed you had to drill the rest but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Besides looking good is there any benifit to the sidewalls of the tires ? and do they help any for impacts to the rims themselves ? Sorry guys I've never seen them on or used in real life just pictures.
    They do much better if you are running over 50 mph as the OEM tires tend to balloon too much. With that said many people prefer jumping etc with the OEM setup because it is softer and helps cushion the landings. One of the big advantages for the ProLine tires is that they last very long where the OEM tires get chewed up fast when using them on the street.

RC Qualifier
    Went out and made some runs today with video.

First one is a POV video with the GoPro's telemetry. Didnt push it to full speed because the camera sticks up and is quite expensive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I53er_1WtEk

Second one is a speed run. Garmin recorded 70.3 and GoPro recorded 71 (GoPro is much higher frequency GPS/ AKA more accurate)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWu8YWFFACk

Watching the GoPro speed data afterwards I can see that the speed was steadily climbing right as I let off the throttle. It probably had several more MPH available before topping out. Just didnt have a large enough space. Or I could have been more agressive on the initial start of the run. Slowly applying the throttle smoothly is a tricky thing.

-Liberty

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice work.

RC Qualifier
    Aaaand now she is going up for sale.

This thing has been distracting me from my primary speed runner project (and to be honest the X-Maxx is not the ideal vehicle for this sort of thing)
    I was totaling up all the modifications, upgraded parts, batterys and charger, and it was well over $1,400.00 LOL!!!

Glad I got to do some nice runs before putting it on the shelf till a sale goes through.

-Liberty

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well it was a good winter project. Good luck with your other endeavors.

RC Competitor

This thing has been distracting me from my primary speed runner project (and to be honest the X-Maxx is not the ideal vehicle for this sort of thing)
    I was totaling up all the modifications, upgraded parts, batterys and charger, and it was well over $1,400.00 LOL!!!

Glad I got to do some nice runs before putting it on the shelf till a sale goes through.

-Liberty
    I’m sad to see this build finish and wish I could buy it

RC Qualifier

...(and to be honest the X-Maxx is not the ideal vehicle for this sort of thing)

-Liberty
    This is what happens with most speed run X-Maxxes. It is just not the vehicle for it. It's like seeing how fast you can make a greyhound bus go. The ESC and foam tires to put this truck in the 90 to 100 mph range are too much money. Instead I bought some 4-tec's last year and the money was well spent doing R&D with them. Light low cars make speed running significantly easier. You can do a lot of trial an error with $1400 of 4-tecs and supporting mods. Been there, and done more than that

RC Qualifier
    This is what happens with most speed run X-Maxxes. It is just not the vehicle for it. It's like seeing how fast you can make a greyhound bus go. The ESC and foam tires to put this truck in the 90 to 100 mph range are too much money. Instead I bought some 4-tec's last year and the money was well spent doing R&D with them. Light low cars make speed running significantly easier. You can do a lot of trial an error with $1400 of 4-tecs and supporting mods. Been there, and done more than that
    Knowing the value of the truck... like you said that money goes a long way on a small 1/10 rc car. 4Tec 2.0 is on my list of possible next cars. My "thing" is road driving and the XMaxx just isnt the right vehicle for that although it can.

I also have a Slash 4x4 on 8s aluminum chassis fully modified that is a 140+mph car... it needs to be finished up. The X-Maxx has taken all my free time lately.

I will say that the larger RC's like the X-Maxx take a rough surface and eat up the bumps pretty well as seen in my speed runs. A 4Tec or Slash on those same roads would crash. States where snow is common you tend to have smoother asphalt roads, but here in Texas we have concrete that is cut every 10 ft with expansion joints to handle the heat. It is no good for RC cars. I have found a few farm to market country roads that are asphalt, but they are very neglected and get deep ruts in them from tractor trailers and farm equipment. Along with a 30+ min drive to get there is kinda annoying.

BTW I am giving this XMAxx away at $1,200.00 plus shipping if anyone here wants it.

-Liberty

I've never understood why someone would want to do blacktop speed runs with RC vehicles like the Xmaxx and Emaxx. I can understand wanting to explore how fast they could go on dirt, but not asphalt. You put it perfectly DriveJumpFly with your Greyhound bus example. (IMO) if you want to do blacktop speed runs, then go with XO's a nd 4Tec's. That's what they were designed for. And, if you want to do speed runs on dirt then go with the Xmaxx, Emaxx or ERevo, because that's what they were designed for...just my opinion.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I've never understood why someone would want to do blacktop speed runs with RC vehicles like the Xmaxx and Emaxx. I can understand wanting to explore how fast they could go on dirt, but not asphalt. You put it perfectly DriveJumpFly with your Greyhound bus example. (IMO) if you want to do blacktop speed runs, then go with XO's a nd 4Tec's. That's what they were designed for. And, if you want to do speed runs on dirt then go with the Xmaxx, Emaxx or ERevo, because that's what they were designed for...just my opinion.
    It just happens to be what I am interested in. Everything I do is modified with more power and speed.
    I had years ago, built some Yamaha Banshee 4 wheelers with Suzuki GSXR 4 cylinder sport bike motors. One with a 600cc 110hp motor and the other with a 750cc rated at 142hp. I like going fast! Decided to sell them when we had our first son. (very dangerous machines)

I wanted to pursue being the worlds fastest X-Maxx (record is 98mph).
    Currently my X-Maxx is the 2nd fastest at 72.5mph, but I am more interested in some other RC cars so I am moving on.

I don't fully agree with choosing a car based on what it is designed for. Take PhilDog for example on this forum who has a Slash 4x4 that has been 168mph. Faster than any XO-1 has ever gone by far.

-Liberty
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 01-11-2019 at 05:53 AM.

RC Qualifier

-Liberty
    I've enjoyed watching this build and although I'm not a speed guy it's impressive to see these electric rc's do the speeds they do and I believe that tire manufacturer's will come out with an assortment of speed tires in my life time lol.
    Thanks to guy's like you and all the rest that do the R&D and push these rc's to give alot of us the entertainment that we all enjoy seeing and looking forward to some record breaking runs in the future with your next adventure. A Big Thank You

RC Qualifier
    I've enjoyed watching this build and although I'm not a speed guy it's impressive to see these electric rc's do the speeds they do and I believe that tire manufacturer's will come out with an assortment of speed tires in my life time lol.
    Thanks to guy's like you and all the rest that do the R&D and push these rc's to give alot of us the entertainment that we all enjoy seeing and looking forward to some record breaking runs in the future with your next adventure. A Big Thank You
    Thanks Rain Dawg, I have apprecieated your comments on this project.
    Hostile is supposed to release some belted tires in 2019 that will fit on the MadMax wheels like I had.

It just happens to be what I am interested in. Everything I do is modified with more power and speed.
    I had years ago, built some Yamaha Banshee 4 wheelers with Suzuki GSXR 4 cylinder sport bike motors. One with a 600cc 110hp motor and the other with a 750cc rated at 142hp. I like going fast! Decided to sell them when we had our first son. (very dangerous machines)

I wanted to pursue being the worlds fastest X-Maxx (record is 98mph).
    Currently my X-Maxx is the 2nd fastest at 72.5mph, but I am more interested in some other RC cars so I am moving on.

I don't fully agree with choosing a car based on what it is designed for. Take PhilDog for example on this forum who has a Slash 4x4 that has been 168mph. Faster than any XO-1 has ever gone by far.
    I guess it depends on what the goal is. If it's to be the fastest of a particular type of vehicle (in your case a electric powered Xmaxx) then of course you have to have a electric powered Xmaxx. But, if your goal is to be the fastest you can be then you have to use and go where you can achieve that goal.

I looked around, and the fastest Xmaxx is 95 miles per hour, the fastest XO-1 is 140 miles per hour, and the fastest electric RC is 325 miles per hour. I'm a bit of a speed freak, and modify all my stuff too.

I have a 1098, YZ250, KX100, and sport cars and trucks. I go fast on lonely asphalt back roads with my Ducati and Porsche, and fast on the dirt with my Yamaha, Kawasaki, Raptor, and ZR2. There is an old saying " You need the right tool for the right job." (IMO) it's always best to use what's meant for dirt on dirt, and what's meant for asphalt on asphalt...not judging, mind you. Just saying for the purpose of discussion.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-12-2019 at 04:48 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I guess it depends on what the goal is. If it's to be the fastest of a particular type of vehicle (in your case a electric powered Xmaxx) then of course you have to have a electric powered Xmaxx. But, if your goal is to be the fastest you can be then you have to use and go where you can achieve that goal.

I looked around, and the fastest Xmaxx is 95 miles per hour, the fastest XO-1 is 140 miles per hour, and the fastest electric RC is 325 miles per hour. I'm a bit of a speed freak, and modify all my stuff too.

I have a 1098, YZ250, KX100, and sport cars and trucks. I go fast on lonely asphalt back roads with my Ducati and Porsche, and fast on the dirt with my Yamaha, Kawasaki, Raptor, and ZR2. There is an old saying " You need the right tool for the right job." (IMO) it's always best to use what's meant for dirt on dirt, and what's meant for asphalt on asphalt...not judging, mind you. Just saying for the purpose of discussion.
    Not being a jerk but just for specific facts (I take speed seriously) below are the ones I have seen with video proof on YouTube:
    Fastest X-Maxx is 98.9mph udluuz
    Fastest RC wheel driven (not on a string going in circles) is 202mph by Nic Case.
    Fastest XO-1 is 148mph by AV Tuning & design
    Fastest Slash 4x4 Phillip Jolley at 168mph (most interesting on the list)

Never intended for the X-Maxx to be much more than what it ended up as. To me 60mph and below is kinda boring. The cost to push it further than where I got was not worth it to me so im going back to my Slash 4x4 and might get a 4tec.

I also had sport bikes, yz125, and 2 banshees. I have owned 24 cars. Some more interesting of those in my list of past cars would be 87' Buick Grand National, 3 different 240sx drift cars (91,93,95), SC300, and a K20 swapped MR2.

I build em enjoy them and then move on to the next one. Such is the case here with the X-Maxx.
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 01-13-2019 at 01:43 AM.

I don't think you're being a jerk, and I'm enjoying our conversation. I personally don't take speed all that seriously, though. It's more like a hobby for me. I've had some sweet rides in the past too...Corvettes, Jaguars, 442's, 916's and once I built a kit Cobra GT...to mention a few.

I just bought a Taco mini bike the other day, and that little thing is a blast. It's not fast by our standards, but fun to hit the railroad tracks with. Anyway, different strokes for different folks is what makes life fun and interesting. I will say that for me, it's more about handling rather than just all out speed.

When I'm on back road twisties, I get just as big of a rush slicing and dicing at 40 to 70mph as I do on a straight road or track doing crazy fast speeds. I'm the same way with my RC stuff. For me, it all depends on the circumstances. When I use my off road RC's on dirt I'm not going as fast as I could as if I was on asphalt, but I get a rush watching them bounce and jump over the lumps and bumps.

When I use my on road RC's on asphalt, I get more of a rush watching them on a twisty track rather than watching them go in a long straight line. Straight line running is a lot faster I know, but for me it's boring to watch.

I've always leaned towards GP rather than drag. The big thing for me is, though, having and using the best tool for the job. Not to say a person can't mix and match their tools with different jobs (as you like doing), but my experience has always been that it's not as efficient when it comes to speed and handling. In closing, I would never take my 1098 down to the railroad tracks, but I sure don't mind taking this beast. (lol)

P.S. This (the 325mph link below) was also in my RC magazine.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ipNMRQKDLVKhnQ

(IMO) if a guy is serious about speed he'll go the way this guy went rather than a Xmaxx, Emaxx, Slash or XO-1. If a guy is a hobbyist about speed (like I am) he'll go with an XO-1 like me or the 168 mph Slash like you pointed out. And, if a guy is just curious about how fast he can get a particular RC vehicle to run, he'll go the way you did with your Xmaxx. All are good ways to go depending on what a persons goal is.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-13-2019 at 07:20 AM.

RC Qualifier
    That is an interesting front suspension design on that mini bike. Those things are fun to ride around on!

For reference the Nic Case Bullet car was 325kph = 202 mph

-Liberty

(lol) I'm so dog-on blind sometimes. I didn't even see that. A while back, when I first saw the video, I thought that that didn't look like 300mph. But, I was like okay. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Still at 202 rather than 325mph, that guy's goal is strictly top speed, and he uses all the right tools to get him there...a vehicle designed for speed, a perfect running surface, and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't take elevation, wind and temperatures into consideration.

Yeah, the two things that are unusual with that little monster is the front suspension and the double chain. When I was a kid I was the only poor little slob (in our area) that didn't have one. I mainly got it for my wife, but I'm having a lot of fun with it too.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-13-2019 at 04:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Fastest XO-1 is 148mph by AV Tuning & design...
    There is one 150 mph XO-1 on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQtEZmoUqmA
    Last edited by drivejumpfly; 01-13-2019 at 10:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    There is one 150 mph XO-1 on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQtEZmoUqmA
    Did I miss something, both of the GPS's said 140 mph.

RC Qualifier
    I thought he had a video in his description for a 150 pass. The link doesn't work anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsgNO-tM4CQ

I know AnthonyV had a non-recorded 150+ pass, but I thought the guy in the video posted above hit 150.
    Last edited by drivejumpfly; 01-13-2019 at 11:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I don't doubt the authenticity and it's fast no doubt but when you watch Phildoggs his just looks faster JMO not looking to contradict just an observation.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...c2-0-4s-138mph

RC Qualifier
    Sold the XMaxx this past weekend on eBay. Lasted a whole 4 hours before someone snatched it up.
    Purchased a 4tec 2.0 and another 1/10 scale on-road car to join my Slashes in the garage.

I believe that is all she wrote for me and large scale RCs.

-Liberty

What was the 1/10 scale on road car you bought? What I would like is a full kit (with repair parts available) 1/10 (or better) F1 car. I see kits out here in RC land, but not full kits with available repair parts. I think it would be so cool if a person could get a 1/7 scale Indy or Formula 1 racer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast