RC Competitor

XO-1 with GRP tires

So i got some GRP tires for my xo. It looks killer. Sucks trimming so much to make them fit but it's my street car not my trophy...

Is there any difference between stock and your new ones?
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Is there any difference between stock and your new ones?
    I have not had a chance to try them yet. They are much larger then the stock. I'm using EMP axles which fit really snug. Once the weather dries up i'll try them.

be curious to see how they work out . or dont
    XO-1 GUY GETTING OLDER BY THE MINUTE

RC Qualifier
    I'd be curious to see what your speed difference is with all other things on the car remaining the same. The GRP are a bit heavy...
    They don't have the best grip, but they are steel belted and will retain their shape better versus the oem tires. These are generally accepted as "good" till 160mph. I have yet to see anyone on these tires go beyond the 100-120 range. I had a set of the 1/8 GRPs on my Slash 4x4 and they did well.

RC Competitor
    The tires are the only upgrade on this car so far. They are the soft compound. It's been raining here for the past few weeks so i haven't had a chance to try them yet. I'm running on a smooth concrete street that is not worn out so, it has "some" grip. The street i'v been running on isn't very long so i don't think i can hit 100mph on it. With NHRA season coming to an end i'm trying to get some track time with the XO!

interested in out come steve

RC Competitor
    So i finally had a chance to try these GRP tires. I'm running on fresh concrete as seen in the video above. I was by myself today so i wasn't able to do any speed runs and keep an eye on traffic. But i was able to try it out and i must say these tires are awesome. On cold start on a 91f day the tires are about as slippery as the stock tires. Once i did a burnout WOW. It was night and day different. Stock tires work better when warmed up. These tires become suction cups!!! The car does wheelies on command once the tires are warmed up. They got hot to the touch and sticky as a bumper sticker. As far as how the car drives well, it's challenging. With more grip came more takeoff and overall more power. It was harder to control without the TSM enabled and 25% steering sensitivity. Once i tried it with 50% TSM and 25% steering sensitivity, it was much easier to manage. With the taller tires i expected it to launch slower but because of the added traction it picks up speed REALLY fast. Overall i am highly impressed and would recommend them to everyone. I'm using EMP axles and after breaking-in they are still snug.
    I need to find a longer and safer road.

RC Qualifier
    You may want to add extremely thick differential fluid which should help the car track straight also.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    You may want to add extremely thick differential fluid which should help the car track straight also.
    Indeed! I'v had to do that on most of my rc's. After trying it stock, i'll be upgrading to TRA5039 500k diff oil for the front and some TRA5130 100k for the rear. I must add that this setup seems very cool BUT the factory setup is much more forgiving and easier to drive. More traction made it harder to control! 50% TSM helped that problem.

I run a gyro on mine & it seems to work very well @ keeping it straihght

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kzsteve View Post
    I run a gyro on mine & it seems to work very well @ keeping it straihght
    Traxxas TSM found in the part#6533 radio is a gyro. The older Traxxas radios don't have it. I generally can drive well enough not to need it but, with this setup, i'm definitely taking advantage of it.

So i started the diff oil change and found ALL axle screw pins loose on the diff output shafts. Glad i didn't lose any. Used blue thread lock on reassembly. The front diff was wet but definitely didn't have enough fluid in it. The rear was dry. VERY disappointed. So she's all back together and all working well. For those who haven't done this before, make sure to pay attention to the direction your ring gear is facing so as not to lockup your drive train. I really liked the design and simplicity to pull the diffs out from the back covers. I'll see about trying it today if the weather holds up and life doesn't get in the way.

On a side not...
    I can't stress enough how sticky these tires are. My testing street is about 5 minutes away. When i tried these tires they got really hot and really sticky. I got home afterwards and set the car down on my washing machine and it has been sitting there since. When i picked it up yesterday, the tires were stuck to the washing machine. The tire texture was back to being dry normal plastic. But when they were hot it was like they were leeching some kind of sticky fluid. I'm wondering if they don't have some kind of design like a self lubricating brass bushing but rather then lubricate it gets sticky! hmmm

thank you for the info steve

RC Competitor
    So i got a chance to take her out today. Nice cool low 70f day. The car is much quieter now with some diff lube. It tracks so much better now while accelerating. I made a couple of passes at 89mph, 92mph and i run out of road... I need a longer road OR a DeLorean! So i really like the lube upgrade so far. I can accelerate faster and stay straight with minimal effort. On the hunt for longer road now.

that's really good info . glad it worked out for you ...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    So i got a chance to take her out today. Nice cool low 70f day. The car is much quieter now with some diff lube. It tracks so much better now while accelerating. I made a couple of passes at 89mph, 92mph and i run out of road... I need a longer road OR a DeLorean! So i really like the lube upgrade so far. I can accelerate faster and stay straight with minimal effort. On the hunt for longer road now.
    I feel your pain. Im in the Dallas TX area and it is difficult to find a good road. The best ones are black top / asphalt recently paved with little traffic and no obstacles on the sides of the road. Sort of a hard combination to put together.

-Liberty

I have lots of places to run , but the dust on the roads makes it near impossible to get bite . my car on these roads looks like its on steroids . lot of side ways & on my top time . good for you

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out. ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-02-2018 at 09:23 AM.

OOPPSS ... did not realize

RC poster
    lol starts a thread about GRP tires 18 posts long, but not a single pic of them on or has ever run them.

I would like to see some pictures too.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    So i finally had a chance to try these GRP tires. I'm running on fresh concrete as seen in the video above. I was by myself today so i wasn't able to do any speed runs and keep an eye on traffic. But i was able to try it out and i must say these tires are awesome. On cold start on a 91f day the tires are about as slippery as the stock tires. Once i did a burnout WOW. It was night and day different. Stock tires work better when warmed up. These tires become suction cups!!! The car does wheelies on command once the tires are warmed up. They got hot to the touch and sticky as a bumper sticker. As far as how the car drives well, it's challenging. With more grip came more takeoff and overall more power. It was harder to control without the TSM enabled and 25% steering sensitivity. Once i tried it with 50% TSM and 25% steering sensitivity, it was much easier to manage. With the taller tires i expected it to launch slower but because of the added traction it picks up speed REALLY fast. Overall i am highly impressed and would recommend them to everyone. I'm using EMP axles and after breaking-in they are still snug.
    I need to find a longer and safer road.
    Link to the EMP axles?
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Competitor
    The axles are from EM Performance
    https://emperformanceproducts.com/pr...wheel-adapter/

I can't believe i forgot to post pics of the tires... sorry guys
    These pics are before i trimmed the bodies!!

Traction is unbelievable. Once you do a burn out, the tires get real sticky. Then the car will do wheelies on command while on concrete. I haven' tried it on asphalt.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-29-2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    As long as the asphalt road is warm it will hook up great. I ran my GRPs on a 40 degree day with some cross wind (kept the tires cool) and it was like driving on a wet road. Couldnt get into the throttle at all.

That is why there is a "speed run season"

-Liberty

RC Competitor
    @Liberty yea i imagine these work better on asphalt. Hope to try it this summer.

maybe a built in traction compound