RC poster

EVX-2 - Is it Dead?

Just picked up an E-Maxx very cheaply.

Needs radio gear and the seller said the ESC had worked fine on MiMH but not with LiPos where it seemed to have an intermittent fault. It had been sitting unused for a couple of years.

I guessed he probably hadn't put it into the correct mode?

Anyway, got a couple of brand new 5200a 7.2v LiPos, fully charged, and hooked them up. Nothing. No lights. I press and the hold the button on the EVX-2 for any length of time but no joy.

Do I need to try anything different? Is the EVX-2 dead?

RC poster
    UPDATE

Discovered a bad solder joint on one of the Deans connectors. Gave it a wiggle and held it firmly in place and it's all lighting up fine AFAIK.

Better get the soldering iron out.......

Traxxas Marshal
    Glad to hear it's working properly! I'd double check all of those solder joints to be sure that the previous owner didn't mess those up as well!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Yeah I went over them all.

Trouble is, with my soldering skills, I'm liable to make it worse rather than better!

Sent from my S55 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Turns out the actual plug was duff too. Even when I'd re-soldered the wire, the connection was still poor unless you wiggled the plug. Fitted a new plug and all good.

The E-Maxx is a beast! Makes my Rustler look like a toy!

RC Qualifier
    Get rid of that plug!
    Direct connection !
    3906 CC 1717 / MMM GA 7075 UE Khead LST2 DIFF

Hes talking about the battery plug not the motor plug. You cant get rid of the battery plug hehe.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC poster
    Worked great for a while. Now, one of the black power wires has parted company from the ESC.

Opened up the EVX-2 and discovered it's come off what I assume is the PCB although, as it all covered in what looks like a waterproof gloop, it's hard to see.

This looks beyond my skills and new EVX-2s are MIGHTY EXPENSIVE!

Will the Hobbywing Quicrun WP 860 ESC do the job? It'll run dual motors but only has one battery input. Or can you run dual ESCs?

RC poster
    Well, after hunting all over the world for a cheap EVX-2 - I found one right on my doorstep in rural Aberdeenshire.

A nice old guy who builds amazing RC cars for a hobby had an EVX-2 with 2 motors for sale as he'd upgraded an E-Revo to brushless. 40 for the ESC and motors. I can sell the motors on eBay too.

He had an Aladdin's cave of RC cars. Electric and Nitro. Floor to ceiling shelves with loads of high end stuff all beautifully built and generally run once to test then becoming shelf queens.

Traxxas Marshal
    Nice! I'm glad you were able to find what you were looking for at a decent price! Now get that truck back on the road/dirt/whatever!

RC poster
    Yeah got it straight back out there.

Even on brushed it's a laugh. The training mode is great for the kids though the 5yr old is about ready to go full power.

Question on motors: The two motors I got came from an E-Revo. One is reversed. They haven't been used as it was a shelf queen. Could I use them in the E-Maxx if I switched the polarity on the reversed one or are there issues with running a "backwards" motor "forwards"?

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by namastebuzz View Post
    Question on motors: The two motors I got came from an E-Revo. One is reversed. They haven't been used as it was a shelf queen. Could I use them in the E-Maxx if I switched the polarity on the reversed one or are there issues with running a "backwards" motor "forwards"?
    The standard one, yes. The reversed rotation motor, no. The Titans have advanced timing. If you run the reversed rotation motor in reverse, it will wear out more quickly and won't perform as well because it's running backwards. You could buy a second standard Titan, though, and use it with the other standard one you already own.

RC poster
    Thanks.

I thought that might be the case. No sweat. I'll probably move those motors on and just keep with the two I've got until they wear out.

Traxxas Marshal
    The Titans are pretty decent motors; with proper maintenance, they can last for quite some time. Enjoy driving your truck!

RC poster
    Thanks.

I will.