RC Enthusiast

Slash 4x4 Locking hinge pins

So I'm having a bit of trouble finding outer hinge pins that have a lock nut on one side to prevent them from backing out. I see a lot of people talking about them(particularly the ones from strc) but none of them have provided a part number for them. From what I've measured the pins seem to be 35mm in length and about 3.2mm in diameter. If anyone has an idea where I can get pins that will fit my needs that would be much appreciated.

If you have a hinge pin that backs out, put it on the other side of the arm. For example, if you have a pin that is installed with the hex screw facing the front bumper, re-install it facing the rear bumper.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    If you have a hinge pin that backs out, put it on the other side of the arm. For example, if you have a pin that is installed with the hex screw facing the front bumper, re-install it facing the rear bumper.
    I suppose that is one way of doing it. However that will only work on the rear because otherwise the pin will dig into the aluminum caster blocks I have in the front.

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

When I first started rebuilding my slash, I noticed how short those pins were. A good jolt and from the looks, I thought for sure they would pop out. Went into my pile of leftover nuts and bolts and found these that work perfect. Wish I could tell you a part number. I can tell you they are out there.

Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    I think for right now I'm going to try using a long screw like in the second thread and if that doesn't work I'll buy strc pins and make them work somehow. Thanks for the info

Glad it helped!
    Just remember not to over-tighten the nuts or you will bind.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    When I first started rebuilding my slash, I noticed how short those pins were. A good jolt and from the looks, I thought for sure they would pop out. Went into my pile of leftover nuts and bolts and found these that work perfect. Wish I could tell you a part number. I can tell you they are out there.

Also if you don't mind me asking but what wheels are those? They look amazing!

Thanks Squeegie. They are definitely the Mickey Thompson bead lock rim. They actually have 14 bolts on the other side holding the tires on. I always thought beadlocks were for rock crawlers but I was way wrong. They sell at a very good price too. $118 and some change. Compared to most at 169 and some change.I thought they were a steal. Bought 2 sets. Look good with trenchers and badlands on each.
    Last edited by lektro; 09-23-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Squeegie. They are definitely the Mickey Thompson bead lock rim. They actually have 14 bolts on the other side holding the tires on. I always thought beadlocks were for rock crawlers but I was way wrong. They sell at a very good price too. $118 and some change. Compared to most at 169 and some change.I thought they were a steal. Bought 2 sets. Look good with trenchers and badlands on each.
    Is that 118 for 4 wheels? I looked at the link squeegie posted and it said 59, but I am assuming that's for two wheels?

Yes sir! they are 59 for 2 plus shipping...... If you purchase a set there is one thing in particular you should know. I would not use the lug nuts that come with them. the tool to take them out is cheap as are the lugs. You need to have to tool on the lug as tight as you can get it on or it will strip the hex on the lug. here is a pic of the screws I installed.

Last edited by lektro; 09-23-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Yes sir! they are 59 for 2 plus shipping......
    Good to know! I think I know what my next move may be lol!

Quote Originally Posted by J3rockon View Post
    Good to know! I think I know what my next move may be lol!
    Worth the money to me and from what El Sob said. No need for the 17mm adapters. No problems with stripping the 12mm hex.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    So I'm having a bit of trouble finding outer hinge pins that have a lock nut on one side to prevent them from backing out. I see a lot of people talking about them(particularly the ones from strc) but none of them have provided a part number for them. From what I've measured the pins seem to be 35mm in length and about 3.2mm in diameter. If anyone has an idea where I can get pins that will fit my needs that would be much appreciated.
    The part you want is ST3640 FO. It fits front outer on 2wd and 4x4's. You might be better off to buy a complete set. I believe just those 2 pins will be $7

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    The part you want is ST3640 FO. It fits front outer on 2wd and 4x4's. You might be better off to buy a complete set. I believe just those 2 pins will be $7

I'm going to try a possible alternative. I found these 35mm screws I'm going to try from axial, part number AXIAXA0125

RC Enthusiast
    I'm going to try a possible alternative. I found these 35mm screws I'm going to try from axial, part number AXIAXA0125
    Just for anyone following this the Axial part did work. You'll need a 3mm lock nut and a 3mm x 5.8 washer or a 3mm x 6mm, which ever you can get. You'll need to put one on the front and back of the A-Arm.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post

Just for future reference this part number is wrong and you need to order the one for the Slash 2x4 rear axle. The ST3640 FO measure about 28 mm and they are too short for the 4x4. You need to order ST3640 RS as these are approx 35mm long and will work for the Slash 4x4.

RC Competitor
    I ordered "STRC 3640RBK Hinge Pins, Slash 4x4 (BK)" for the rear, cause it says it in description and on package. But from what I'm reading here, they are do big in diameter. I ordered 3640-FO for the front. My Slash is at the camper now so I cant check fitment. Pretty aggravating with such an exact description and they are probably the wrong size.
    X-Maxx 8s / Slash 4x4 / Rustler 4x4 VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I got the kit that uses E clips on them... pretty sure they are Lunsford TI

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroStarGT View Post
    I ordered "STRC 3640RBK Hinge Pins, Slash 4x4 (BK)" for the rear, cause it says it in description and on package. But from what I'm reading here, they are do big in diameter. I ordered 3640-FO for the front. My Slash is at the camper now so I cant check fitment. Pretty aggravating with such an exact description and they are probably the wrong size.
    Did you get these and try them yet?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliensrgr8 View Post
    Just for future reference this part number is wrong and you need to order the one for the Slash 2x4 rear axle. The ST3640 FO measure about 28 mm and they are too short for the 4x4. You need to order ST3640 RS as these are approx 35mm long and will work for the Slash 4x4.
    Thanks was looking for this exact part #. Will order 4 sets of these for 2 Slash's.

RC Competitor
    Update: The STRC 3640RBK Hinge Pins fit both the front and rear of the Slash 4x4. You cannot tighten them down real tight, but they fit and are the correct diameter. These must be the same size as the RS pins. The FO pins DO NOT fit.
    X-Maxx 8s / Slash 4x4 / Rustler 4x4 VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroStarGT View Post
    Update: The STRC 3640RBK Hinge Pins fit both the front and rear of the Slash 4x4. You cannot tighten them down real tight, but they fit and are the correct diameter. These must be the same size as the RS pins. The FO pins DO NOT fit.
    Yes you are the Man. This is what i found for them. One comes silver and the other black

Here is the new STRC Rear Outer Steel Polished Lock-Nut type Hinge-Pins (part#ST3640R) for the Traxxas Slash 4x4. The stock hinge-pin screws into the a-arm and sometimes it will unscrew itself and fall out of the truck. The advantage of these hinge-pins from STRC are the lock-nuts that holds the hinge-pins in place and keeps it from falling out. The hinge-pin kit comes in two different colors: black and silver.

ST3640RBK Black MSRP $4.99
    ST3640RS Silver MSRP $4.99